PDA

View Full Version : Ianboys Map request effort......

LEBillfish
09-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi All;

I'm sure all that look here are quite abuzz with the request/offer from Ianboys on generating a Burma map.....

Though no doubt he can do all the work himself, what has occurred with the other discussion lends itself to a "better way" of doing things (though it does have its shortfalls), especially more so then the "open source code" so many ask for.

IMLTHO, and I believe this is what Oleg had "hinted at" though could be wrong, the concept of having project leaders and then branching out not only grants the ability to get much more done (more of what we want), yet also quicker.

However, the system IMO again must work from the top down....IOW, Oleg is at the top, his direct staff at 1C next followed by third party sources is how it stands now.....What if, Oleg stated he would be willing to make time to "final check" X amount of work IL2 not BoB related?....

At that point he might state, "I'd be willing to consider 6 maps, 15 planes, 30 objects"...Where in then those who do outside development are notified, and can then do as Ianboys has above. Naturally, you would have those primarily involved with maps, others with objects, still others with plane models and then those who work with FM's.....

In the end, instead of the normal pressure of trying to make it all work and hurry it into a patch, Oleg or any who he designates then yes or no's each object on visual quality, and if enough pass that mark to make up a worth while patch then might state..."not make themselves" the changes they justly "demand"....Once returned in an acceptable form, then a beta would be assembled and distributed to those he deems trustworthy to test.....

However, in no way except for basic "yes/no" approvals does his or the 1c's staffs valuable time need to be utilized...Naturally, a final approval for distribution could only come from 1c/Oleg.

This mat be how it is now, I don't know, as I have never personally seen an offer like that made by Ianboys......However it lends itself to much more vast manpower resources via that method.......Naturally, at each level there is required approval (yet I can't imagine Ianboys for example sending to 1c a piece of junk).

The downside? Just has happened in the past those doing the development on the bottom end might not come through or their work not be to par.....Yet I'm guessing that could be considered by simply having numerous people all working on the same thing (need 1 plane model, have 10 people who want to all make the same one, only those finished on time then the best gets selected).

In the end, we might all get what we want, the lions share of the burdon lifted from 1c, and development can become fun again vs. the paniced rushing out of a patch to try and sooth the hungry beasts called players.

LEBillfish
09-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi All;

I'm sure all that look here are quite abuzz with the request/offer from Ianboys on generating a Burma map.....

Though no doubt he can do all the work himself, what has occurred with the other discussion lends itself to a "better way" of doing things (though it does have its shortfalls), especially more so then the "open source code" so many ask for.

IMLTHO, and I believe this is what Oleg had "hinted at" though could be wrong, the concept of having project leaders and then branching out not only grants the ability to get much more done (more of what we want), yet also quicker.

However, the system IMO again must work from the top down....IOW, Oleg is at the top, his direct staff at 1C next followed by third party sources is how it stands now.....What if, Oleg stated he would be willing to make time to "final check" X amount of work IL2 not BoB related?....

At that point he might state, "I'd be willing to consider 6 maps, 15 planes, 30 objects"...Where in then those who do outside development are notified, and can then do as Ianboys has above. Naturally, you would have those primarily involved with maps, others with objects, still others with plane models and then those who work with FM's.....

In the end, instead of the normal pressure of trying to make it all work and hurry it into a patch, Oleg or any who he designates then yes or no's each object on visual quality, and if enough pass that mark to make up a worth while patch then might state..."not make themselves" the changes they justly "demand"....Once returned in an acceptable form, then a beta would be assembled and distributed to those he deems trustworthy to test.....

However, in no way except for basic "yes/no" approvals does his or the 1c's staffs valuable time need to be utilized...Naturally, a final approval for distribution could only come from 1c/Oleg.

This mat be how it is now, I don't know, as I have never personally seen an offer like that made by Ianboys......However it lends itself to much more vast manpower resources via that method.......Naturally, at each level there is required approval (yet I can't imagine Ianboys for example sending to 1c a piece of junk).

The downside? Just has happened in the past those doing the development on the bottom end might not come through or their work not be to par.....Yet I'm guessing that could be considered by simply having numerous people all working on the same thing (need 1 plane model, have 10 people who want to all make the same one, only those finished on time then the best gets selected).

In the end, we might all get what we want, the lions share of the burdon lifted from 1c, and development can become fun again vs. the paniced rushing out of a patch to try and sooth the hungry beasts called players.

Bearcat99
09-28-2005, 07:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VFS-214_Hawk
09-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I myself thought much of the same. I figured this was some sort of test for the community to get involved. I hope this is the begining of the "to be finished" PF product.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

HelSqnProtos
09-28-2005, 09:27 PM
S~!

Very unlikely.

Many of the "tools" that are required to make meaningful contributions to the sim are INCREDIBLY difficult to get. For instance map making tools would require not only Oleg's approval but a Non Disclosure Agreement from 1c. I believe it was SaQSon who posted about this. The HELL WAR team is working on an online war that will deal with thousands of players yet we have been unable to get 'basic' tools nevermind anything else.

While I would love to see a more "open" architecture, from my own understanding and many of the posts of the devs and Oleg himself -- it is clear that the current engine - from the old "Tie Fighters" I think -- is unable to accomadate large changes in its code without other variables being affected.

The new code worked on for B.O.B would presumably be "Modular" in design allowing new components to be seamless intergrated without affecting existing code. Oleg is clearly an extremely intelligent man and I DO BELIEVE has listened to many of the complaints from the community. I think that B.O.B will be a magnificent step forward for the WWII Combat Flight Simulation Community.

Till that time however I am personally doubtfull that much will be done to "open" up the sim. Nor do I really want it to be given the current architecture. For myself the sooner they put all guns on B.O.B the sooner we can have that sumbiatch to fly.

As it stands, there are too few "trusted" peoples with the ability to do what needs to be done imho.

However I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

ianboys
09-29-2005, 03:07 AM
You guys think too much.

I just know the things I have little time for or other people can do better than I so I ask for help, esp. given that I am currently involved with 5 maps.

There is no grand design for these things - it is chaotic evolution at its most effective.

Aaron_GT
09-29-2005, 03:24 AM
I can't help with a Burma map, but if anyone wants to create a map of the Swiss-German border at some point I have somewhere a late 1930s German backpackers map of the area which shows quite good detail.

Monson74
09-29-2005, 07:08 AM
The only way I can help is to try to keep up your morale & spirit - here goes:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

darkhorizon11
09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
As a modeler I'm useless, even if I had the 3D modeling skills I don't nearly have the time to model stuff or else I definetly would. Be as it may...

I'll definitely tip my hat and give you guys a big thanks and good luck! I'll also a morale booster! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bearcat99
09-29-2005, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ianboys:
You guys think too much.

I just know the things I have little time for or other people can do better than I so I ask for help, esp. given that I am currently involved with 5 maps.

There is no grand design for these things - it is chaotic evolution at its most effective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I am thinking.... every bit helps.... if we can get people to do what they can within the confines of the available applications... read tools etc. into that... it will free up the folks who can utilise the things that are unavailable to the general public a broader place to start from.