PDA

View Full Version : 4.09 servers

PanzerAce
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Are there any that are halfway decent and *not* full switch?

And if not, why not?

AndyJWest
11-23-2009, 06:47 PM
UKDedicated1, but probably you'll find the settings too easy.

idonno
11-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by PanzerAce:

And if not, why not?

No.

Because those two things are mutually exclusive. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PanzerAce
11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:

250+ ping for anything overseas keeps me on US based servers like RCAF and SOF

idonno: No, full switch and "fun" are mutually exclusive concepts. I bought this game to relax and enjoy when I'm not at work or wrenching on my Z cars. I didn't buy it to squint at the monitor, fly for hours, never see anyone, and then have the map change. (Or, if I do see someone, get shot down by them before I realize they're there).

megalopsuche
11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Panzerace, I'm with you on the icon issue. Skies of Valor is still on 4.08 until they rebuild after getting hacked, but it's always been a good choice for balance between historically based combat and preventing eye strain.

Bearcat99
11-24-2009, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:

idonno: No, full switch and "fun" are mutually exclusive concepts. I bought this game to relax and enjoy when I'm not at work or wrenching on my Z cars. I didn't buy it to squint at the monitor, fly for hours, never see anyone, and then have the map change. (Or, if I do see someone, get shot down by them before I realize they're there). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1.. I think tight icons are a nice compromise.. I prefer mine to be under 1k... .8-.9 for friends & .7-.6 for enemies.. I think that having the icons set for just beyond the range where you can make out what type of plane it is is a good compromise.. Sometimes we forget that there are still people out here flying this sim on Athalons & P IVs with AGP cards from 3-5 generations back..

megalopsuche
11-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PanzerAce:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:

idonno: No, full switch and "fun" are mutually exclusive concepts. I bought this game to relax and enjoy when I'm not at work or wrenching on my Z cars. I didn't buy it to squint at the monitor, fly for hours, never see anyone, and then have the map change. (Or, if I do see someone, get shot down by them before I realize they're there). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1.. I think tight icons are a nice compromise.. I prefer mine to be under 1k... .8-.9 for friends & .7-.6 for enemies.. I think that having the icons set for just beyond the range where you can make out what type of plane it is is a good compromise.. Sometimes we forget that there are still people out here flying this sim on Athalons & P IVs with AGP cards from 3-5 generations back on 17" CRTs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, my hardware is more up to date than that. I've been flying flight sims since the '80s and have a lot of experience in all the ways sims have handled aircraft visibility. I prefer icons out to 3km because it's a good compromise for the actual range at which you can ID an aircraft vs the SA boost icons provide, and it prevents eye strain searching for little dots.

No icons, or extremely short range icons, are false realism: they make IDing other aircraft more difficult than it is in reality.

Yskonyn23
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I've been out of the tweaking IL2 business for too long, but I remember a nice guide about how to setup icons and labels.
Would someone care to point me in the right direction, please?

idonno
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Are you talking about this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/549102273?r=221104273#221104273)?

Bearcat99
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
No, my hardware is more up to date than that. I've been flying flight sims since the '80s and have a lot of experience in all the ways sims have handled aircraft visibility. I prefer icons out to 3km because it's a good compromise for the actual range at which you can ID an aircraft vs the SA boost icons provide, and it prevents eye strain searching for little dots.

No icons, or extremely short range icons, are false realism: they make IDing other aircraft more difficult than it is in reality.

I like the longer icons on serves with custom limited external views.. ie friendly only or freidnly once landed/dead. I like external views... thats why I like the tighter icons.. and I hear you about the rig..

Originally posted by idonno:
Are you talking about this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/549102273?r=221104273#221104273)?

Or this article @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=521).

megalopsuche
11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:

I like the longer icons on serves with custom limited external views.. ie friendly only or freidnly once landed/dead. I like external views... thats why I like the tighter icons.. and I hear you about the rig..

Originally posted by idonno:

Or this article @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=521). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wish there were more servers that had icons but not externals.

Woke_Up_Dead
11-24-2009, 01:53 PM

And if not, why not?

There are a few that can be found on X-Fire but not on Hyperlobby. Many are Russian, with pings in the high 100's or low 200's if you're connecting from the West coast like me. If you don't mind that, along with some chat messages written with the Cyrillic alphabet, then you might find something you like. Most of them have cockpit on but with some sort of icons, some have cockpit on with external views. Almost no open-pit servers, but the maps are definitely set up for dog-fighting.