PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-14-2009, 09:58 AM
does il2 1946 install straight from disk without doing anything? i asked a friend to try installing it on his 64bit win7 and he said it wouldnt install. do you have to open the folders and click on exe or something?
thanks
sssssssssssssssssssssssssnake

VMF-214_HaVoK
11-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Should install. Just go to the drive and explore it. From there you can click on the setup exe. Should work with no issues. FYI I run Windows 7 64bit RC.

S!

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-14-2009, 10:38 AM
thanks

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Actually, you need to explore the disk and run the A.exe, that will install the game.

JG52Uther
11-14-2009, 02:38 PM
And,not to c/programme files.Make a c/games folder or something.

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
thankyou all, soory to show my ignorance but is the A.exe on the disk and how do I create a C/Games folder, and what would happen by installing to C?programmes?
thanks
ssssssssssssssssssssnake

panther3485
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I intend to change to Windows7 fairly soon (currently running XP Pro SP3) and I too, would like to know why installing to C:\Program Files would be no good? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VW-IceFire
11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by panther3485:
I intend to change to Windows7 fairly soon (currently running XP Pro SP3) and I too, would like to know why installing to C:\Program Files would be no good? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
C:\Program Files is now a protected directory. Files there cannot be changed unless your status, even as an administrator on the system, is elevated to allow that change. So a game like IL-2 where it sometimes needs to write to config.ini or other .ini files will have problems because it was not written with this elevated administrator status in mind (its a new feature for Vista and carries on through Win7 - FYI this is fairly similar to how things have been done on Unix/Linux for a couple of decades now so its analogous to a fairly standard practice elsewhere)

Install to C:\Games is what I do to avoid any problems. Works like a charm. You can create this directory using Windows Explorer or just do it when you're doing the install.

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-15-2009, 12:51 AM
thanks for that icefire, so C:\games is not a program file?what constitutes a program against a game file?
thanks
sssssssssssssssssssssssnake

VF-17_Jolly
11-15-2009, 01:13 AM
I have IL21946 setup in Programs in Windows 7 and i had a problem editing the config file, in the end i had to move the whole text document to the desktop edited it there then moved it back again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by SsSsSsSsSnake:
thanks for that icefire, so C:\games is not a program file?what constitutes a program against a game file?
thanks
sssssssssssssssssssssssnake
You're reading into the naming too much.

"Program Files" is just a folder name. It is a virtual location where most Windows applications, by standard, install themselves. This is basically for organizational purposes. These would be your Adobe Reader, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, QuickTax, iTunes, Quicktime, and so on and so forth. It's a convention to install applications in that location. Because of that convention and because application's should be protected from being randomly messed with Windows Vista and Windows 7 protect this directory.

Again because IL-2 was written long before Program Files became protected it's not aware of the difference so it has problems.

C:\Games is another convention. You could call it C:\WhateverthehellIwant and it would work too. It isn't picky.

panther3485
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
So, out of curiosity, who has this elevated administrator status in Win7? Is it accessible to the ordinary user?

SeaFireLIV
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
So, out of curiosity, who has this elevated administrator status in Win7? Is it accessible to the ordinary user?

Anyone who has purchased Win 7 and owns the pC is the Admin unless you`re using someone else`s PC.

SsSsSsSsSnake
11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
thanks again.

because i managed to install winxp on 2 pc's and they both got validated, i didnt have to get win7 after all .

when sow comes out i will upgrade but for now ill stick with xp.

have to say i managed to change the config file so it would run widesvreen on the sony 40 inch lcd and it looks amazing.
Shall swat up on win 7 in the meantime but \i guess sow will install ok anyway, but good to know incase any other games give probs installing, thanks again
ssssssssssssssssssssssssnake

SeaFireLIV
11-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SsSsSsSsSnake:
thanks again.

because i managed to install winxp on 2 pc's and they both got validated, i didnt have to get win7 after all .

have to say i managed to change the config file so it would run widesvreen on the sony 40 inch lcd and it looks amazing.
Shall swat up on win 7 in the meantime but \i guess sow will install ok anyway, but good to know incase any other games give probs installing, thanks again

Am I reading right? You installed a single copy of XP on TWO PCs and they BOTH validated?

doraemil
11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SsSsSsSsSnake:
thanks again.

Am I reading right? You installed a single copy of XP on TWO PCs and they BOTH validated? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes it is possible if the serial is a corporate serial or multiple install serial . . .

XP doesn't record by actual software installs installs it goes by validating / registered serial ...

CrazySchmidt
11-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm using Win 7 and installed into Program Files without a problem. I think everyone is still nervous from the old Vista days of sadness.

CS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
It works like this.

There is a regular user and an administrator user. Basically the same as Windows XP. In Vista and Windows 7 there is an additional layer where the Administrator account needs to have elevated permissions to do things like change major system components and install/modify software. It is in place so your basic malware cannot silently run without Windows saying "hey, AmazingMalware.exe wants to make all sorts of changes to the system, are you cool with that?". So if that message comes up randomly you can say "uhhh no!"... on the other hand if you're installing new video drivers then it's expected and you can tell Windows "yeah that's absolutely cool, go ahead".

It's really quite simple... and works pretty well most of the time. But when it doesn't then the frustrations start. Vista was a bit tougher while Win 7 has backed off a tiny bit and found a more usable middle ground.

R_Target
11-15-2009, 11:18 PM
I copied my "UbiSoft" folder from my WinXP drive to my "C" directory on Windows 7. Works. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dwezl2011
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
when u say go to the drive & explore it,exactly how do i get there?

Tully__
08-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dwezl2011:
when u say go to the drive & explore it,exactly how do i get there?
In My Computer, right click the CD / DVD drive and select Explore from the context menu.