PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE HELP PLEASE - PERFECT WATER?

peter_pan_pan
01-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Not only am I new to PF but am also a total combat sim rookie. Been flying the passenger varierty of sims, but looking for a little more excitement now! PF looks awesome, but I can't seem to get the sea to look like it does on the box.

I see this issue is not a new one but can anyone help with a gentle line or two? I have an AMD Athlon 64 4400 X2 and Nvidia 7800 GT 256MB with 81.98 Forceware driver. I am running PF v4.02. I have tried fiddling with the config.ini file but the 'perfect' option in the in-game menu is permanently greyed-out.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Peter Pan Pan

bogusheadbox
01-11-2006, 06:18 AM
First thing you need to do is change your graphics settings to perfect.

In game open the graphics control panel and change it to open GL

Then select perfect detail. (only available in the OPEN GL option)

Once done there. Open up your "Config.ini" file(located in your main Pacific fighters folder - notepad) and scroll down until you see

Water = 0 (or 1, or 2)
All you need to do is change the value of the water to 3. you should be able to run it fine with your rig.

Then save and close and restart PF. You should see the changes.

Kuna15
01-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Also reading a few posts of those who knows about this stuff, I have noticed that water=2 is used for testing iirc. So although you can select 2, best options should be 0,1 or 3.

peter_pan_pan
01-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey, thanks guys for such a quick response. I will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

Peter Pan Pan

No601_prangster
01-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Also go HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/8891044193) and download the new graphics DLL's and put them in your PF directory.

peter_pan_pan
01-12-2006, 02:58 AM
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see that following your instructions, it actually worked. I am blown away by how amazing the sea is with water = 3. It doesn't seem to have dented performance/fps at all - great stuff. The blue wet stuff looks amazing from high altitude and right down there at wave top height. I never new sea could look so good! Boy, have Microsoft got some serious catching up to do - the sea in FS9 is soooo dull in comparison - maybe they will address this in FSX?.

Vengeanze
01-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Yeah, isn't it beautiful peter_pan_pan.

The water has decreased my kill/death ratio as I keep looking at the water more than the bandits.

I got apx. the same rig as you got. If u want you can follow the link in prangster's post.
Those new DLL's will give u a couple of more frames while allowing you to get very nice water when set to water=2.
Also, with the new beta DLL's you will have one more option, water=4.
However, water=4 is same as water=3 with the stock dll's.
water=4 is not available with stock dll's.

If I recall correct the water=2 with the beta dll's doesn't give the white when the waves breaks.
Can't confirm that though.

Now fly close to land and watch how the color of the water change as it gets close to the beach.
U also got waves lapping the beach. Nice.

And try out thunderstorm.

peter_pan_pan
01-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey, cheers for that Ven. I'm always nervous of over tweaking my set-up and messing everything up horribly. However, those new DLL's do sound tempting - especially the changing water colours and breaking waves! How do you select thunderstorms? Is there a weather menu like in MS FS9?. With only limited to fly, I want to spend more time flying than fiddling, but I will give those DLL's a try.

Cheers

PPP

Vengeanze
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Those dll's are two to the number and replaces the stock ones in your main folder.
Be sure to backup your stock ones by renaming em or sumthin.

Check these screenies:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/8891044193/p/3
They are by running beta dll's on water=2.

If u wanna check how water looks in a thunderstorm, in the main menu click on Quick Mission Builder and choose your plane, location, altitude and lastly set weather to Thunderstorm.

And no, PF hasn't got near the weather engine that FS does.
U got like 5-6 settings for weather in PF. That's it.
Well, u can set time of day and date too.

Have fun.

peter_pan_pan
01-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks again Ven. I think the attention to detail in PF is staggering. Little things like when you push the nose down quickly, the engine coughs with the negative g ... and as for the damage modelling - mind blowing. There are so many nice surprises which all really help draw you into the sim like nothing else I have ever played.

No matter ther are only a few weather settings in PF. Less time spent on setting weather up and more time flying is a refreshing novelty for me! Still, I like a good thunderstorm!

Maybe see you up there one day!

Cheers

PPP

Vengeanze
01-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by peter_pan_pan:
Thanks again Ven. I think the attention to detail in PF is staggering. Little things like when you push the nose down quickly, the engine coughs with the negative g ... and as for the damage modelling - mind blowing. There are so many nice surprises which all really help draw you into the sim like nothing else I have ever played.

No matter ther are only a few weather settings in PF. Less time spent on setting weather up and more time flying is a refreshing novelty for me! Still, I like a good thunderstorm!

Cheers

PPP

Sure thing. We all fly at Hyperlobby as the UBI.com sux.

And imagine u just got the game. Lemme tell u there are alot of details sure to make u go wow for another year. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

peter_pan_pan
01-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Cool, thanks Ven. Looking forward to the next year then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

PPP

codeseven7
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by peter_pan_pan:

Cheers

PPP

Welcome Peter.

It's refreshing to see someone so excited about this sim. It makes me step back and see this series for what it is, the best in the business. I think we all get a little spoiled after while and forget what we have as opposed to want we want.

codeseven

Troll2k
01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
To get "perfect" landscape option you need opengl,32 bit,stencil buffer on.

Eightball_Syn
01-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Troll2k:
To get "perfect" landscape option you need opengl,32 bit,stencil buffer on.
I don't get the perfect option on my system, even with OGL, 32bit, stencil buffer on :shrug:

peter_pan_pan
01-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks codeseven. I know exactly what you mean ... I have spent so long with civil flight sims that you do get a little jaded and spend to much time thinking of everything that is not right with the sim and what could make it better. I have even set up a web page for my very long wish list for the new MS FSX (http://www.msfsx.com)!.

I got my first proper kill in PF last night ... was sooo cool. Saw the 2 pilots bail out over Pearl Harbour. Unfortunately, then ran out of ammo whilst in the next fight, tried to run for home but got shot down. This game is hard, but great fun.

Happy flying!

PPP