PDA

View Full Version : Bombsight Calibration Time

Macels
04-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone has figured out what factors exactly affect bombsight calibration time and how much?

I just recently was trying to do some straight and level bombing on a relatively small map.. I climbed 10,000 feet (~3000m) in my B25, circling directly over my home base and then proceeded straight and level (using level stabilizer) to the enemy airbase which was about 3 minutes away @240mph. My bombsight still had not calibrated by the time I got over the target.. Slightly frustrating.

Was I too high for the B25 bombsight? Too low? Does flying in circles while climbing 3000m really screw up the calibration time?

strelnik_Sipi
04-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Calibration time? There is no such thing as auto bombsight. You have to setup the bombsight while in level flight and enable the autoamtic bomb drop. If you yank the stick too much the autodrop will disable and u have to do it again. There are some good tutorials on the net and on forum. Seach for them.

Dizz_310th
04-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Macels,
I know what you are talking about. Yes, I think flying in a tight circle to gain altitude throws the site gyro off for several minutes. Much more than the three minutes you have to target. Try plotting a straight course to gain altitude and setting up much more level flight time to your target. This should give the site plenty of time to calibrate and appear.

AWL_Spinner
04-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Absoutely. You have to plan your approach carefully for drops using the sight. If you have to make a lot of turns make them as wide and steady as possible. The sim is pretty clever in the way it works out how long the gyros take to stabilise.

For climbing I often avoid the spirals and adopt an "out and back" straight line climb with a slow rate 180 in the middle.

SlickStick
04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
I noticed last night I had to hit the elevate bombsight to get the sight in the B-25 to come back up after some defensive maneuvering. I dodged the bogeys and enabled the auto level, but the sight didn't come back until I tapped one of the elevation keys. Maybe this will help you as well.