PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Stuvi in Ju-88

stugumby
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
OOps ok I got the settings for release altitude 1000m and I'm capable of the dive but i cant seem to set the speed right, I tried 380 kmhr but even with dive brakes out im exceeding 450, so can anyone suggest the right speed setting??

I can hit the village but not the block im after. Still unable to hit a ship, will hit the dock but no dice on the ship.

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
The speed you set must be the speed you reach at the end of the dive. I always bomb from around 3000 to 4000m. This gives me approx 600 km/h speed at an altitude of 600m. Set the STUVI as early as possible so, you won't have to worry about it when you are almost on the target. (goes for level bombsight too) If attacking a target using dive-bomb technique, I always fly untill I am right above the target. Then I roll inverted and pull back on the stick. During this, I set throttle and prop pitch to zero and deploy the dive brakes. You've got plenty of altitude to refine your aim, use it. Releasing your bombs at the desired altitude is a bit tricky since your vertical speed is about 600 km/h. Immediatly after release, retract dive brakes, full throttle and pitch and get the hell out of there. Preferably low over the ground.

The JU-88 is a great piece of machinery. It can level and dive bomb at will, wichever seems appropriate. When surrounded by the machine, it gives you the feeling that you can thrust this aircraft to bring your enemies a world of hurt. And be back for sauer kraut and Schnapps in no-time.

KG26_Oranje
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Here u go.
Pic say more than words.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/KG26Oranje/Luftwaffe-Axis/ju88dive.jpg

Aim wiht circle on target on dive till ,
The buzzer is calling,
Than aim wiht curser on target and relise on that moment all ure bombs.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Are their any special keys you have to press to 'set the Stuvi'? Or does this system work automatically? I have never heard about this bombing system before.

I can drop iron bombs using CCIP in Lockon. Does this X caret thingy work like that?

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Those are the same keys as for the level bombsight. The STUVI is an early version of the CCIP they have nowadays. The CCIP is constantly updated with height and airspeed data. With the STUVI, you have to manually enter it. Aim the "abkommarke" in the picture on the target and wait till release altitude. 600m is quite low tough. Release all your bombs as quick as possible and the aircraft pulls automatically out of the dive. Retract the dive brakes manually and fly away.

Happy bombing!

jamesdietz
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I know I should know this but in 3 years I've never used the level bombsight...is there a tutorial? Don't tell me I have it in training section....?!

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by jamesdietz:
...is there a tutorial?
Read what was posted here, and check out this Tut:
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/stuvi_guide.htm

Also, I think you have to go to Controls and set some keys for the commands to adjust the bombsights Altitude, Distance, ect.... They aren't setup by default.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I see the X caret on the HUD and can bomb stuff. But it sounds like you guys are saying you enter/set the altitude and speed info into the bombsight, and I don't understand how to do that. I have keys assigned so I can set the bombs Elevation; Side Slip; Altitude; and Velocity, and I get messages indicating the those values are changing. But I don't quite get how to enter the correct values... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

FritzGryphon
02-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I set my altitude to a preset, say 1000m.

I enter a ballpark figure for the speed, say 550km/h, then dive.

When I get near 1200m, I quickly check my speed, and reset the speed dial to something more accurate. Then quickly line up the pipper, and drop.

Art-J
02-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:
I see the X caret on the HUD and can bomb stuff. But it sounds like you guys are saying you enter/set the altitude and speed info into the bombsight, and I don't understand how to do that. I have keys assigned so I can set the bombs Elevation; Side Slip; Altitude; and Velocity, and I get messages indicating the those values are changing. But I don't quite get how to enter the correct values... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

The "correct" altitude value is the one at which You intend to press the drop button, so it's up to You. The velocity value is the TRUE airspeed which Your crate will have at the drop moment. This one is little more tricky: first of all, You have to know approximate difference between Your indicated and true airspeed at the drop altitude (the more precise You know it, the better of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), second - You have to watch out for dive enter point altitude, because even with divebrakes, the plane accelerates all the time and it's not easy to obtain true airspeed You exactly wanted!

If I were You, I would work out a bombing procedure. Choose Your dive altitude, choose Your drop altitude, choose Your favourite dive sequence (engines, prop pitch, brakes'n stuff...), notice how fast the plane is going at the drop point and memorize the true airspeed at this point. Now You will have three values to remember and lots of time for practicing and "fine-tuning" Your bombing procedure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers - Art

stugumby
02-14-2006, 07:11 AM
That darned bomb drop icon in the bottom of the reticle only pops up at certain dive angles as well, then after the horn your supposed to move the plane till the forked bar is on target then drop. not too bad of a system once you get used to it. But how exactly do you use the dive angles painted on the cockpit, are they used as refrences once in the dive using the visible horizon. And whats the big red stripe around the cockpit for on the outside glass over your head???

KG26_Oranje
02-14-2006, 08:17 AM
U got the red line under u on bottem glas to.
Thats for line up wiht target bellow u.
If target disapeer dive till the red line in front off u line up wiht horizon.
Hope u under staint it lol.
ps the drop icoon most be setup wiht ure speed (IAS/TAS)keys and drop alt keys as in normal level bomb side.
0 trot on 100% prop pitch , dive brake`s on = +/- 460 dive speed on speedbar.
Its not so hard just practise a cople time`s and play wiht settings on a dead target like bildings.
And read the read me file`s for 4.03m there is a part for the ju88.
Jippo have post some instrucktions up in oleg forum to.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/7321029904
S!

jamesdietz
02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm dense - where & how do you enter speed & altitude settings?Is there a key setting I must activate in "Controls'? Then what?Even after reading airwarfaretutorial I'm mystified....& I know to hit anything with Ju-88 its probably a good idea to use this...One more question :if I choose to divebomb with the 88 can I do it the old fashioned way -go vertical & use gunsight?

KG26_Oranje
02-16-2006, 05:48 AM
For speed look in ure il2 folder , there is a chart for it , called IAS/TAS chart and read the instructions that is in read me file of 4.03m.
And yes u most setup key`s for alt and speed settings + bombside angle.
Go to setup controls and look under bombside key`s.
If u have set it up it conts for all bomber stuff , including dive bombers , exept jabo`s
S!

loppenainen
04-19-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't have speed bar and additional info on screen. Where in Stuka cockpit is the tas readout. I see them by the bomb sights on ju88/he111 etc but not in Stuka pilot screen. The Stuvi image doesn't seem to react to inputs from user defined keys 4 bombsight inputs. Ant gen?

Maraz_5SA
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by loppenainen:
I don't have speed bar and additional info on screen. Where in Stuka cockpit is the tas readout. I see them by the bomb sights on ju88/he111 etc but not in Stuka pilot screen. The Stuvi image doesn't seem to react to inputs from user defined keys 4 bombsight inputs. Ant gen?

You don't need to read the TAS on an instrument.

Choose the altitude where your drop your bombs, e.e. 1000 m.

Choose the speed (IAS) you will keep when bombing (e.g. for the Ju.88 in a dive bombing with dive brakes open it should be around 500 km/h, make some tries)

Look at a IAS-TAS conversion table what TAS corresponds to your chosen IAS at your chosen altitude and input that TAS with your "bombsight velocity" keys.

For 1000m, anyway, the correction to be applied to IAS is very small (about 6.5%), if you drop around 600-700 m it becomes unnoticeable.

At first you will notice nothing in your Stuvi sight when you input your altitude and speed values in the bombsight, but when you will start your dive you will notice the pointer ("abkommarke" or "krawatte"). This pointer shows the point where your bombs will fall if you drop them at the preset velocity and altitude.

Two attack methods are possible with the Ju.88

- dive bombing (dive brakes on): used for best precision (e.g. against ship), dive angle should be around 70-80? (not as much as the Stuka). You will get an alarm sound when you approach the drop altitude, you must drop when the alarm sounds goes off.

- high speed shallow dive (dive brakes not engaged): this is less accurate but survivability is much better (you are faster, you don't need to go on the vertical of the target), very good for attacking land targets. In this case there is no alarm sound and you must watch your altimeter for the right drop altitude.

Maraz

Maraz_5SA
04-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by jamesdietz:
I'm dense - where & how do you enter speed & altitude settings?Is there a key setting I must activate in "Controls'? Then what?Even after reading airwarfaretutorial I'm mystified....& I know to hit anything with Ju-88 its probably a good idea to use this...One more question :if I choose to divebomb with the 88 can I do it the old fashioned way -go vertical & use gunsight?

The key settings are the same used for level bombing (bombsight altitude, bombsight speed).

Doing a 90? dive is not historically correct in the Ju.88, this aircraft was capable of doing 70? dives (IIRC), that's why she had a more sophisticated gunsight than the basic Revi of the Ju.87B-2

I believe that going vertical your speed might bee too large, but you can try http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maraz

loppenainen
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanx Maraz_5sa. I didn't make clear, I can see the altitude and velocity figures when I have the hudlog set to on, but I cant see them with it off. As it tells you info you should get from instruments etc i.e. fuel leak, fire, throttle readout, I usually fly with it off, set to NoHudLog=1 in the cinfig file.

I was asking if there was a more 'realistic' method of dialing in your desired presets without setting this switch to '0'.

loppenainen
04-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Answering my own question. With nohudlog switched no readout. So... airspeed starts at 500kmh & altitude at 725m.

Speed increments at 10k per click, alt at 25m so i count clicks and set the Stuvi!

600kmh 700m and
'run commie run commie run run run,
here comes a nazi with his bomb bomb bomb.
Your going to die, your *** he's going to fry, so run commie run commie run run run.'
[to a well known uk tune about bunnies]

PlaneEater
04-21-2006, 10:22 AM
How the heck can you even spot vehicles smaller than the Karl Gerrat mortar from 1000m?!

loppenainen
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
you could fly lower then climb, or use the zoom control occassionally.

Single vehicles even on roads have dust and shadow, convoys and trains are sore thumbs.