PDA

View Full Version : 1946 questions

sailorman.jim
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Roberto and I have upgraded to 1946. In addition, we have copied our .quick files and some other things like the .ntrk files to the 1946 folder, and upgraded to version 4.08. Is there any reason we should hold off deleting the old version 4.04 of FB+AEP+PF?

One thing I did notice is that not all of my .ntrk files would run in 1946. I wonder why that is? Is there something I can do to correct this? We both have saved some files we thought were especially clever and would like to keep them for future video use.

FoolTrottel
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Keep 4.04 for a while, or burn it to a DVD.

If you find out you forgot to copy something áfter you've deleted it, you'll be sorry... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

.ntrk not playing is weird.

Could it be the naming is too complex?

Dunno the exact rules for naming, but keep the names simple, no spaces, no dots (apart from the one in the .ntrk part). Underscores and dashes should work...

Good Luck!

sailorman.jim
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
FoolTrottel: My thinking, exactly. I guess great minds Do run in the same channel. LOL

I thought I had discovered the problem with the .ntrk files because some of them were .TRK files. I changed that, but it didn't help. Nor did changing names to exclude special characters, etc. I have simplified them as much as I can and still be able to tell what they are, but no joy, yet. Maybe that's a good reason to keep 4.04 on the system for a while, yet?

FoolTrottel
10-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Maybe that's a good reason to keep 4.04 on the system for a while, yet?
Sure is.

As for .trk and .ntrk: there's a big difference between them two, you can't simply rename them to change their type, that won't work.

.trk is a basically a generated-re-play(http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif) of the mission, where your aircraft is being piloted using your recorded stick/key inputs as they were input. Only mission parameters/setup and your input have been recorded in the .trk!
This type will give problems when replayed on a different game version, as the flight model or aircraft performance may have changed. (Also using autopilot, time compression or time skip will result into strange outcomes)

.ntrk records much more data, but me thinks using time compression / time skip at recording time may also result in weird things...

(.trk files are the result of a 'Save Track' usage at the end of the mission, .ntrk are created when in mission you press the 'start/stop recording track' control.)

So, it's best to allways use .ntrk type!
Have Fun!

sailorman.jim
10-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Fooltrottel, thanks for that explanation. I had thought that it was simply an error created in generating the file extension. Even so, I am at a loss to understand why some will work and others will not. Fortunately, I still have the 4.04 version where I created them. So if I want to save any for real, I will have to record them as they play on that version. I usually play them several times, recording different views, etc. them make a video from them, discarding the stuff that I didn't like. Much as a film company will use several cameras to film a scene from different angles, then blend the different shots into a finished product. Well, at least now I know. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

FoolTrottel
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Even so, I am at a loss to understand why some will work and others will not.
In what way do they 'not work'?

You could invite me to a private topic, in which we can exchange email addresses, so you can send me one of the defective tracks...

sailorman.jim
10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Basically, it says something to the effect that the format is not supported. Ill send that PM.