PDA

View Full Version : damaged engine

ruben1789
03-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi, what to do with mixture if the engine is damaged? I would like to know how I could let live the engine the longest so I can make it home. Any tips would be appreciated!

Hanglands
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I have limited knowledge of this situation, but...

If the aircraft allows it, set auto/rich and set a course for allied territory while gently gaining altitude. I dont think the mixture/pitch settings do much to preserve the engine life at all.

Regards.

JtD
03-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I only found that if you switch it off, it lasts longer and can be restarted in case you need it for landing. Maybe this means that a low oil pressure or something extends engine life.

ruben1789
03-17-2007, 11:47 AM
so no change in mixture required in case of damaged engine>? manuel says different, but they don't tell to increase or to decrease

JtD
03-17-2007, 11:57 AM
It doesn't matter in game.

IRL it would depend on the kind of damage, but a rich mixture would usually be the better option.

Waldo.Pepper
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JtD:
It doesn't matter in game.

IRL it would depend on the kind of damage, but a rich mixture would usually be the better option.

I would tend to disagree with this. I try and lean the mixture out as much as possible in this situation. I think it makes a fire less likely. Also if you are damaged you are more likely to have lost some fuel. You may also still be loosing fuel. May as well save some and get further with what you have.

JtD
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I said it depends on the type of damage. If fire is a possibility, you are supposed to cut the fuel flow of completely, not just reduce the mixture.

A rich mixture cools the engine significantly better than a lean one, so if you get cooling problems (by far most likely kind of damage on liquid cooled planes), you should use a rich mixture.