PDA

View Full Version : The runner side of the story [@runners - Please share your story]

Keksus
11-28-2010, 06:05 PM
We complain so much about the runners and roofrunners, but I've never seen a runner or roofrunner who said why he's playing like this. And I don't mean the runners who want to get fast enough to their target but miss the right point to stop to get an inkognito kill. I mean the runners who run ALL THE TIME.

I only heard one who said that he likes to see how his victim "panics". But I don't think every runner runs in the MP mode because of this. If the victim really panics or not is another story.

So I want to hear the story of some runners, because I want to write an article about this running for the biggest german Assassins Creed fanpage.

If there are some runners in this forum: Please tell me your story. You can also write me a PM, because we all know how runners get flamed. I won't discuss in these PMs, just want to hear the other side of the story.

Raisendori
11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
i guess i can be classified as a runner\

unless im trying out a defensive loadout, i go on the roofs to get to my target quickly, but almost always get a silent kill

i do this because, no matter what, i will always die quicker by not running to my target

i guess i also run because that is what i did in SP
run around to finish missions quickly to play MP

i dont know why people keep complaining about runners though
do what i do
run around, but, using a word hardly ever used by a "runner," thinking strategically

by running on rooftops, you get your pursuer to go out in the open
you throw a throwing knife at him and, hopefully, his pursuer will kill him

EDIT: reply to flamer
running on rooftops take away the stealth aspect of the game?
have you ever played the SP?
ezio is on the rooftops, or is supposed to be, when tailing most people, like the senator

and i did run in SP
TO GET TO THE MEMORY

my strategy is very staisfying

and i do get GREAT high point stealth kills

i dont say i stay on rooftops all game, just to get to my target

obliviondoll
11-28-2010, 07:13 PM
I have to comment, not as a runner, and not to flame.

I'm frequently seen arguing for both sides, when I think there are holes in someone's argument.

I play using stealth, and will openly admit that while I usually do reasonably well, I'm not a great player.

While a lot of runners do annoy me quite a lot, they're usually the inexperienced stupid gamers who haven't learnt to play well - there are also skilled runners who, as Raisendori mentioned, think strategically.

Lithos2009
11-29-2010, 06:25 AM
As I said in another topic, maybe the way targets are assigned should be changed and the more time you spend on high profile, more contracts you'll have on your head.

I think the problem right now is these guys run around all the time, spoiling everybody's fun and not scoring much, thus not being targeted much. If the contracting algorithm were to be changed, runners would be killed much more often and wouldn't have much of an option other than laying low as intended.

If they are indeed good players, they will even manage more people after them.

How does that sound?

Raisendori
11-29-2010, 06:40 AM
i dont like the constant switching target but the more pusuers MIGHT work

running on rooftops take away the stealth aspect of the game?
have you ever played the SP?
ezio is on the rooftops, or is supposed to be, when tailing most people, like the senator

and i did run in SP
TO GET TO THE MEMORY

my strategy is very staisfying

and i do get GREAT high point stealth kills

i dont say i stay on rooftops all game, just to get to my target

ficrita
11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Lithos2009:
As I said in another topic, maybe the way targets are assigned should be changed and the more time you spend on high profile, more contracts you'll have on your head.

I think the problem right now is these guys run around all the time, spoiling everybody's fun and not scoring much, thus not being targeted much. If the contracting algorithm were to be changed, runners would be killed much more often and wouldn't have much of an option other than laying low as intended.

If they are indeed good players, they will even manage more people after them.

How does that sound?

This might just be me but it would **** me off to no end if I got a contract and it was this guy running from 4 other people on a rooftop.How exactly do you get a decent kill on someone like that? Also it would take pursuers off the people playing properly making it easier for them, lowering the risk which would make it kinda boring.

Grandmaster_Z
11-29-2010, 07:23 AM
i dont really run on roofs that much but its more fun than just walking around. i like being stealthy up until im about to kill someone, then i like to charge at them and kill them, and then run away. its more fun for me that way.

Grandmaster_Z
11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
remember the creed, everything is permitted

KraNkIt
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Since this seems to (still) be a decent conversation on the subject, I'd like to ask if this is really an issue when you get over lvl 20-30. My guess is that people get bored of ONLY running very fast with scores of less than 1000 per session....!

Other than that, I'd think that they are pretty easy to kill as they stand out... Otherwise, just lose the contract by killing a civilian - ok, bad for the streak but I doubt that the best players really get 5-6 streaks EVERY round... There's so much due to luck anyway in that game! Even with the best strategy, there's always things like someone that can come for you and randomly choose between you or your cover! It's impossible with 2 ability slots to counter all strategies.

FANIS1993
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
when i first started the mp i was a runner at the first and i was running to kill the target or to avoid any pursuers, then by the time i learned and now i am playing stealthier. also i have to add something that are 3 kind of runners the first 2 i don't really think that they are running for no reason well the first is if someone is chasing you, its logical to run to not get killed, the other one is when you chasing your target so these 2 are not runners. now for the other runners i dk why but i have the feeling that aren't actually a lot runners cause most of the people who run are either to chase their target or to hide when their pursuer chasing them.

UbiGabe
11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Kaz_Lezar:
We get mad because they wont win the game, but they do manage to ruin our kill streaks, and for some of us that is worth in the upwards of 750 points.

Isn't depriving a superior player of a Kill Streak bonus, in fact, a tactic in and of itself?

I run all the time, and I do not feel bad about it. My one and only goal is to WIN and to do that, I need to SCORE and to do that, I need to GET TO MY TARGET and do to that, I need to NOT DIE ON THE WAY THERE.

If you're running, you are increasing the likelihood that your pursuer will have to run in order to catch you, thus revealing themselves by doing so... this doesn't work if your pursuer is in your path, of course, hehe.

All that said, I always go for the Incognito and therefore slow it down once I get within a reasonable range so that I can consider my approach... which sometimes includes climbing up a building for the Aerial Bonus or Drop Kill Bonus.

Raisendori
11-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ComDevGabe:
My one and only goal is to WIN and to do that, I need to SCORE and to do that, I need to GET TO MY TARGET and do to that, I need to NOT DIE ON THE WAY THERE.

If you're running, you are increasing the likelihood that your pursuer will have to run in order to catch you, thus revealing themselves by doing so... this doesn't work if your pursuer is in your path, of course, hehe.

All that said, I always go for the Incognito and therefore slow it down once I get within a reasonable range so that I can consider my approach... which sometimes includes climbing up a building for the Aerial Bonus or Drop Kill Bonus.

exactly, with a few things i didnt mention

when i see my pursuer, or guess its my pursuer, i try my throwing knife
if i can throw it, i run to the opposite direction, hopefully starting a chase, which i will most likely win

if i cant throw it, i try to push them off the the building (if that doesnt alert my target)

when i reach my target, i look around my area looking for any strange things going on around
either a target or a pursuer

WhiteSheWolf
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Honestly it depends on the game type and map if I run or not. If I'm in Rome or Monteriggioni - I run. Why? Well A) I love free-running. I free-run all the time in SP just because I feel like it. It's fun. And - especially for Monteriggioni, I know the rooftops so well it's just easier to run. Also, aerial kills are the ****.

It also depends alot how other are playing the game. If I'm in a round where everyone is just running around like bats from hell, well yeah, I'm going to run because otherwise I'll either A) Get killed or B) not be able to catch my target.

Do I spend entire rounds being stealthy and hiding in groups while keeping a wary eye for my pursuer? Of course. But sometimes I just want to free-run. If you have a problem with that...just try to catch me.

obliviondoll
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm laughing a little here.

It's a thread specifically asking for runner-side comments, and there are more stealth player complaints than the regular discussions.

And in spite of that, it's staying far more civilised than most of them.

Awesome.

As for the question about "is this still a problem at level 20 - 30?"

It still happens - it's only a problem to people who don't appreciate that running is part of the game, and meant to be so.

I've seen a player who scored 1500 points with 13 kills, but those kind of runners are VERY rare, even below level 10.