jlhopwo01
12-21-2004, 10:24 AM
System:

P4 Northwood 2.8
Abit IC7-Max3
512M Kingston 3500
2x Maxtor 80G Raid0
Radeon 9800 Pro

Well, as you may know, the vector expansion does NOT work with IL2 or PF. So no 6DOF. However, PF is TrackIr "Enhanced", so you get better results without using the mouse emulation. Coming from the TrackIr2, I found the 3 to be slightly better at two things. One was smoothness. Subjectively, panning felt "smoother" with the TrackIr3 than with the -2. Secondly, always returning to the center of the view seemed to work better with the -3 than the -2. It felt like I was hitting the "center" key less.

Now to FS2004. WOW! It is a whole different playing field! The 6DOF of entirely INSANE! OMG LOL! Really, it's that incredible. Panel designers are going to have to work harder, and computers are going to have to get faster, because as you lean into the panel, of course you can see the pixelation up close, and things don't look as good as they did from the normal head position. And the lean! As I was turning left base to final, I leaned to the left and looked, and it was soooo much better than "just" looking left! I could view much better the runway and the surrounding area. In IL2/PF, I have the three settings for view distance mapped to my Cougar. How I wish I could just "lean in" to the gunsight or "lean back" a little!

Lastly, the new software is awesome, and much more user friendly than the previous version. It is much easier to set dead-zones and other pertinent details in this new version.

Ok, so where does that leave us? Well, if you don't own TrackIr, scrimp and save and buy it! Really, you won't be sorry, especially if you've been playing IL2/FB/PF without it. You simply, for examply, can't execute the "diving oval" technique against enemy AAA without it. And who on this board hasn't heard "Lose sight, lose the fight"? TrackIr really makes all the difference in the simulated world! Let's hope that Oleg, and all other flight sim geniuses that keep us so entertained will include TrackIr3 Vector 6DOF in their upcoming releases. Anyway, that's my take on things. Anyone want to buy a slightly used, but perfectly functional TrackIr2? This isn't a rhetorical question. Really, if you want one, I'll sell it cheap and ship it for free.

PriK
12-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Glad you like it. It's really hard to describe it in words isn't it?

By the way, the Vector does work in PF much better than vanilla TIR with 3.x software. It does true rotation instead of just translation and is solid as a rock now.

TIR is still a great device too!

SKULLS_Exec01
12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
I love my reguler TrackIR 3 pro and its working great, but I thinking of upgrading to the new 6dof, but I only fly PF.
Does it do anything different or better in PF then the reguler software??
Any more details on the key-mapping thing?

If I buy the 6DOF and DL (I assume its free or will be)the key-mapping will I be able to lean forward and see PF view zoom in???

Thanks - BTW - anyone not flying with trackIR is missing out!! IMO

UKPsycho
12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
jlhopwo01

How much are you asking for the IR2?

I'm UK based...

Regards
Si

Zapatistas
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
UKPsycho isnt this game great? (read ther T&C of these forums)

oh... and BTW...

I will sell my trackIR2 (dont know who too yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) for around 30 squid. (must double check price)

almost new, still have box.
Am in London area. if not, ill add P+P to price. (recorded delivery).

GT182
12-21-2004, 08:09 PM
PriK, Seeing the T IR2 software isn't the same as the T IR3 6DOF software, I assume it's possible to have both installed at the same time on a pc. Correct? Why both at the same time I don't know but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BTW, if I've asked before I appologise as I didn't see the reply. Old age and CRS setting in. LOL

Wemic
12-21-2004, 10:09 PM
I think there is a TIR3 Pro under the tree for me this year! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

PriK
12-21-2004, 10:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
PriK, Seeing the T IR2 software isn't the same as the T IR3 6DOF software, I assume it's possible to have both installed at the same time on a pc. Correct? Why both at the same time I don't know but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BTW, if I've asked before I appologise as I didn't see the reply. Old age and CRS setting in. LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new software installs under a different directory (TrackIR4) so I don't think it will interfere with your version 3.x software but you shouldn't need the old software anymore.

You don't have to tell me about old age settin in I just ticked another year off today. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

drizz01
12-24-2004, 10:43 PM
I am interested in the TIR vector feature, but feel it is a little bit of a price gouge.

What I have noticed is that the hardware is just really a TIR3 or TIR3Pro, with 2 extra sensors worn on the head.

The real product is just the software upgrade.

But why should people who have just in the last few weeks (or even if within the last year)have to pay an extra $50 for a software upgrade for the hardware that they just bought????

woofiedog
12-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Glad to read your write up jlhopwo01. I've been looking it to buying TrackIR3 after the holiday's.
One quesion... is that a TrackIR3Pro or TrackIR3 that you have.
And is what is the differents between the two.