PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't it be Zoom 'n' Boom

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Shouldn't it be Zoom'n'Boom as presumably the 'zoom' is the dive on the target and the 'boom' is when you let rip with the onboard artillery?

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Shouldn't it be Zoom'n'Boom as presumably the 'zoom' is the dive on the target and the 'boom' is when you let rip with the onboard artillery?

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 12:47 PM
"Booming" down and "Zooming" up.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Sorry don't see the logic...

boom1
n. a deep resonant sound.
v.intr. make or speak with a boom.
[imitative]
boom2
n. a period of prosperity or sudden activity in commerce.
v.intr. (esp. of commercial ventures) be suddenly prosperous or successful.
boomlet n.

boom3 // n.
1 Naut. a pivoted spar to which the foot of a sail is attached, allowing the angle of the sail to be changed.
2 a long pole over a television or film set, carrying a microphone or other equipment.
3 a floating barrier across the mouth of a harbour or river.
[Dutch, = beam n. 'tree, pole']

zoom
1 intr. move quickly, esp. with a buzzing sound.
2 a intr. cause an aeroplane to mount at high speed and a steep angle. b tr. cause (an aeroplane) to do this.
3 a intr. (of a camera) close up rapidly from a long shot to a close-up. b tr. cause (a lens or camera) to do this.
4 intr. (of prices) rise sharply.
n.
1 an aeroplane's steep climb.
2 a zooming camera shot.

Tedious unoriginal wooly philoshopical statement the pith of which is lost in repetition.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:08 PM
not everything is said that way you can say e.g the car came booming down the street so the plane could be siad to be booming down onto the plane and then zooming back to alitude

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Well, given that the most common usage of zoom you'll hear in these circles other than BnZ is "zoom climb", the Z is probably refering to the subsequent action, not the precursor.

I can see where you're coming from but if you assume a rough parabola with a subsequent zoom back to altitude then perhaps Zoom n'Boom n'Zoom would be more apt?

SSS

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Well, from now on I'm using Swoop n Zoom tactics, they aren't any better than ZnB but you lok more elegant as you Swoop DOWNWARDS then Zoom UPWARDS again.

Tedious unoriginal wooly philoshopical statement the pith of which is lost in repetition.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Shouldn't it be 'nearhit' instead of 'nearmiss' ?

oh well, waddaya gonna do bout it? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

---------------------
: + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
; + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
: + ( = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
: + o = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
: + P = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
: + | = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
: + <u>?</u> = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif<h6>- need help whining? (393k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/016.exe)
- Don't call me chris! (814k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/dontcallmechris.avi)
- Why you should eat breakfast (344k) (http://users.pandora.be/vnnet/forum/eatbreakfast.avi)</h6>

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:25 PM
near hit dont flow as well but its the near miss so closer than missing by miles thier just phrases not meant to be perfect are they its like turn and burm that sounds like you turn then crash and brun to death we could go on all day like this

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:28 PM
fiestapower wrote:
-we could go on all day like this.

And you probably will at that... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-----------------------------------

"I don't know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
-A. Einstein
"And any leftover assault weapons" -Fallout Fan

I am an Arado whiner. And proud of it.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avar234.html
Not my site. But a good place to start if you want to join the Arado-whining. The Arado needs *you* today!

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 01:31 PM
If you can't say what you mean how can you mean what you say? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 02:46 PM
You just don't count the dive. The boom is when you shoot, and then zoom away. To be correct it would be dive-boom-zoom. D&B&Z.

25th_Buzz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Buzz is probably spot on.

But like everyone of us have real trouble when simple names take more than three words! Ugh!! My brain hurts!!

So.. arbitrarily, somewhere in flight sim/air combat genre, the name "Boom and Zoom", stayed behind.

Honor the tradition! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 04:58 PM
I'll go with that.

Have you heard about the new plunge n burn tactic? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Tedious unoriginal wooly philoshophical statement the pith of which is lost in repetition.