PDA

View Full Version : Reflections Should Make An Action Game

Assaultmachine1
04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, it's finally here and back again. I haven't been remembering to bring a similar topic over to this place much like the one over at the Atari Forums, but now I have finally done it. Please post about any possible game ideas that you think would be great to have Reflections make as part of their own game.

Driverman2006
04-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I still like my idea of the game "It's Never Sunny in Philadelphia". D:PL look-a-like? Yeah (to some degree). But a cool game? You bet! (well, you decide). If Reflections can't make this game (refer to the Atari version of this thread), then I will! Who's with me?! I'm going to make sure it happens. What's the game about? I'll tell you, it's about a Californian who wants to make good in the City of Brotherly Love. Now I said that the game will take place in 1976 and 2006 Philly, but I would like it to be 2016 instead of 2006. The character you play (Tom Martin) would be much much older, and he would still have vengence inside him.

Now, I have a big secret about this game that I WILL NOT reveal to anybody. And no, I will not answer your guesses about it. Thank you.

I'll see if I can come up with other game ideas.

Assaultmachine1
04-13-2007, 12:49 PM
You know, personally, I think that you should come up with your own ideas, Driverman2006. It would be better for you because others wouldn't call your game idea "another GTA or DPL." My cousin is working on a game idea for a free-roaming game, but he will try to make it so that it's different and more creative than today's games. He has thought of 4 main characters, each with their own storylines and I won't tell you what they are because that would show me that you might want to use some plagiarism and that would be wrong. It is the same with my own video game ideas.

Also, before thinking of a game, you should consider the genre(s) for it and then think of the best suited elements within that genre to use for the game. You should try to change elements that don't look very right to you and put in more innovation for that category. It's very complicated to create a game that will be a really good one and that has more creativity along the lines of the genre than any previous game, so I understand why you haven't actually gotten to any new elements not seen in that particular genre you wish to make for your game.

If you're thinking about going into the Video Game Industry, do it like me and that's by looking at the genre(s) that you wish to work on for your games by renting a lot of games from this genres, learning how to create a game early before college, and trying to think outside the box on new ideas that may come to mind. It's hard and it may take you a while, but it's the best tips and there's no shortcuts for learning all this any sooner.

Driverman2006
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I love games that are crime/driving related (especially having both of those as main features). I don't like games such as fantasy, godly, medieval, yadda yadda yadda. Sorry that I don't like those genres, it's just that crime/driving games are my style. That Philadelphia game is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, and I'd love to work on that.

Hey Assaultmachine1, what kind of job can I get in the video game industry? If the two of us (as well as some other members here) work together, then we'll make a great team for sure. I would like to be the guy who comes up with the project ideas that the company will be working on. I know if I had a job like this, I'd probably earn a cent more than the janitors since it's so easy because all I'm doing is coming up with whacked up ideas and putting them on file.

Assaultmachine1
04-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Well if we were to work together, I think that we'd have to focus on many styles of different genres because that's my dream. Becoming the first person to master each genre so well is what I want to accomplish. You know, if you were to look and try to play through games of different genres, you would find many great things about them. If games were all the same it would be boring, so that this why there are many genres. I don't like being limited to one thing only.

I've played Action games, Action-Adventure games, FPS games, Arcade games, RPG games, MMOG games, Sports games, Fighting games, Survival Horror games, Simulation games, and even Stealth games, so I truly know how I can have a true hardcore gaming experience. If you were to try to master those games, I think that you would find love in them. If you are such a big gamer and wish for the Video Game Industry to grow a lot and perhaps make such a big impact for it in the future, then you will learn to love every aspect about video games. This is what I need for the people that work with me as a developer in order to go from one game of a certain genre to that of another game in a different genre.

Driverman2006
04-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Well all the games that Reflections makes nowadays are like all driving games. Or better yet, if maybe I work for you, why don't I be your production manager for driving games? I think I could master that. And another thing you need if you are the president of a video game company is supporters. You need them, man. What I mean by supporter is an employee who talks to the fans on the official forums. Asking the members what they want in future games, and chatting with them. See, Reflections doesn't do that, and that's how their game's scores suffer, because they don't listen to their fans. In fact, this would be a good job for me, I have good people skills, don't I? I mean, you all should know me and my personality. And I'd love to talk to the fans of the games my company makes.

Assaultmachine1
04-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Why only for driving games? There are many kinds of video game genres that you may find interesting. As I told you, I will most likely work on a game of one genre only once and then I will move onto another game with a different genre.

Anyways, I don't think that it's such a likely chance that we will meet one day. But who knows? Maybe it will happen. Under any circumstances, I still set out to change every video game genre and I will make sure that I reach that as a goal of my own.

If no one will focus on every single genre or doesn't like every genre of video games that there is, then so be it me and I will take every developer team to know how powerful a person can ever become if they work really hard at such a task. I like all video game genres and I will find the best ways to make them evolve as much as possible. Perhaps it is I, who will be the most victorious at the time that I am in the Video Game Industry.

Driverman2006
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually, I think some employees at computer/video game related companies can work at home and communicate through e-mail, forums, or over the phone. So, I think we could work as a team and don't have to meet eachother in person.

I really enjoy driving games. Driving cars is fun!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I like having open cities in which I can drive around and do whatever the hell I want, it's fun and addicting!!!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a list of games I play and this is where I get my ideas from:
Driver 1
Driver 2
Driv3r
Driver: Parallel Lines
Driver 76 (soon!)
Stuntman
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
L.A. Rush
Midnight Club 2
Midnight Club 3: Remix

Assaultmachine1
04-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I understand that you love driving games, but there are hundreds of thousands of other games from different game genres to explore too, so I highly recommend you head into a different direction because it may one day turn out too boring for you if you only remain true to a few genres. God of War is an awesome action game, so you should try it. It's even more violent than the GTA games and yet the politics are looking more at the GTA games. I have God of War and it's one of the best games ever made for the PS2. Also, if you're looking to have a blast with online multiplayer, you should look mostly at FPS games since they usually are played with the most online players and use the online feature better than most games.

There are so many different video game genres and considering yourself a gamer means that you should try to not limit yourself and move in all kinds of directions, especially if you're curious of learning all you can about the Video Game Industry or if you dream of being in the Video Game Industry.

Driverman2006
04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry man, no matter how hard I try, I just can't fall in love with other kinds of games. But if you want excellent crime/driving related games, I think I can help you, and I'll do my best to make sure that you will be swimming in cash.

How's this for a new game? It's called "The Lost City of Atlanta". It will be for current-gen systems and will be a great crime/driving game. You play as a Canadian named Gary who wants to leave Toronto and move to Daytona Beach (Florida), his dream city. Gary has never been good with American geography, so he just takes some maps with him of the states he goes through. So as he's driving to Florida, he goes through Georgia and finds its capital, Atlanta. He then changes his plans about going to Florida because he falls in love with Atlanta instantly, and he never heard about it. Gary found it all in Atlanta, more than what he expected to find in Daytona Beach, mostly cars, but he also found other things he likes such as bikes, guns, trains, aircraft, and trucks. He also loves the deep south style that is found in and around Atlanta. Now Atlanta is his playground. He joins a gang that will help him out with anything he wants. This game will be full of intense gun fights and Hollywood car chases. There will also be transporting missions (train and truck related missions) too.

The setting of this game will be the whole city of Atlanta with a really long extention to Chattanooga, TN so interstate highways will have a true meaning and you can see some nice looking farm and mountain land in between. Rail lines will entend out to Chattanooga as well. The map will be huge and it will be accurate, besides, there's not too much between those 2 cities anyway, just country/mountainside.

The soundtrack will feature lots of southern songs. Songs by The Charlie Daniels Band, Ray Charles, Skynard, Willie Nelson, and more.

So, what do you think? Does it sound like a winner?

Assaultmachine1
04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Are you telling me that you've never liked a game of a different game genre before? You never play any internet games that are besides action-adventure (i.e. Legend of Zelda, Grand Theft Auto, Driver) or racing? If you haven't done so then you certainly don't know what you're missing. If you were reading about games of other genres, especially the really big ones coming up, it would probably make you feel like you want to play them. I'm not trying to force you to like other genres as I know that most game developers focus on one genre throughout their entire career, so I guess it's safe enough to say that it's a normal thing. However, be warned that there may not be a very big variety of those games from those genres that you like so much as most games consist of FPS or Action games. Even Sports games are a bigger genre. I don't know why, but the racing game genre doesn't consist of as much people as the other genres, except for the fighting genre, which too, is small.

I'm different than those Game Developers since I believe that I'm capable of taking and pushing each and every genre further than anyone has ever seen. I see fun in all different kinds of video games, even those genres that I haven't been too familisr with. Perhaps I will be the next big thing for the Video Game Industry, both on games and systems, which I wish to work on.

As for your idea, you should try to add more to it because it seems like you only look for the story and a few other things. If you push yourself to take more time and think of the best ideas suited for the genre of such a game, which is Action-Adventure. Although it is an Action-Adventure game, you can feel free to call it a crime/driving game, which of course, takes place in a modern setting. Take my advice by spending more time on the idea, editing it and taking away something you think is not right while adding something better. Also, try to spend more time thinking about what else can be put forth towards a game with sandbox gameplay because it seems like you only can think as far to what GTA and Driver have done and not learning from it, which then causes you to be stuck in that situation. Despite the fact that you are kind of a beginner on the thoughts of coming up with a video game, it will improve more over time as you begin to focus more on that idea. Who knows, if you set your mind to it, maybe you'll finally have the right set of ideas to blow away those particular genres that you love so much. You can be a creator and change the whole genre for the better.

Driverman2006
04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, man. I can always edit my posts later you know (and I will). Now here's a thought, if you want to have your own video game company, would you like to have seperate divisions of it by game genre all across the country? Because I think I'd be good in the "Driving" division. Coming up with good auto and other vehicle related games. And if you have friends that want to work for you that like other genres such as Fantasy games only, then have them work in the Fantasy division. See where their creativity takes your company. I mean, I happen to be very creative with my overall ideas.

And don't worry, in this thread I really only post my basic ideas. I have even more details for the games that I haven't revealed yet, but let me asure you, if I work on these games that I work ever so hard on that I wanted to create, you WILL NOT be disappointed. I'm going to put as much stuff as I can into the games so that everybody will be happy (including you).

In my opinion, I think games with cars and guns (combined) is one of the biggest genres in this whole industry. Games like Driver, Grand Theft Auto, True Crime, The Godfather, Saints Row, and many others are very common games that everybody loves. The makers of those games must live good lives. That kind of genre has been exploding for the last 6 years. So I think you can make yourself a fortune if you make games like these. After all, part of the American Dream is being very wealthy.

Assaultmachine1
04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Actually, I'll be the one providing my games with ideas, which then will make me a creator, but I will also own a company of my own, which I hope is for technology, entertainment, and video games. I will try to come up with a video games system of my own and even games of my own. The reason why I want something like this is because it's never been attempted before and I can very well become the best person of the century or as a business man. I wouldn't count on other's ideas since theirs may be too similar to what games have already done. I'm looking for more than that and for the last time, I will focus on every possible game genre, not only Action-Adventure games that have sandbox gameplay.

The fact is that, just because a game is linear, it doesn't mean that it can't offer enough choices for you. Fable is a good example of a game with a storyline, but it provides you with many things to do in the game. Even Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess provides you with a ton of different minigames throughout the game to play (if you ever get bored of the storyline), so sandbox games are not always the most fun.

Driverman2006
04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Awww shucks. That's what I wanted to do, you know, come up with the ideas. But if you want good voice talent in your games, I happen to be a very good impersonator. I'm not just saying that to be cool, I mean it.

And not to hurt your feelings Assaultmachine1, but Reflections doesn't pay attention to $#!+. If they did pay attention, they'd be working on some of the games we wanted back on the Atari version of this thread by now. I know it's never a bad thing to wish, but we shouldn't waste our energy. If I worked at a video game company, I'd look into a thread like this all the time and see what I can do, and I'll even talk with the members too.

Assaultmachine1
04-19-2007, 08:34 AM
You know, Driverman2006, I think that you could become a great creator for those particular genres that interest you because if you keep improving on your ideas (much like at a place like this), you will be able to create what we haven't seen before and blow everyone's minds. Being a creator is probably one of the hardest jobs since you'll be coming up with the game for the rest of the developer to work on, but it's worth it and you may make history with a big and highly successful game if you and the rest of the team do their jobs right.

matt__jon
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
As I said when this was first posted, Reflections does make an action game, its called Driver.

Driverman2006
04-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Assaultmachine1:
You know, Driverman2006, I think that you could become a great creator for those particular genres that interest you because if you keep improving on your ideas (much like at a place like this), you will be able to create what we haven't seen before and blow everyone's minds. Being a creator is probably one of the hardest jobs since you'll be coming up with the game for the rest of the developer to work on, but it's worth it and you may make history with a big and highly successful game if you and the rest of the team do their jobs right.
Yeah I know what you mean, man. You've got to be clever and come up with really good ideas so the games can get good scores. It must be pretty complicated, you've got to make the right moves.

How's this idea for a game? It's a game where you play as a gangster for Al Capone in Chicago in 1925. It will be a historical-fiction game (meaning everything in the game is 1920s style, but the story is fiction). It will play like the Godfather or GTA (open city game with weapons and fighting too). I know the cars back then weren't too fast (to today's standards, like 60 mph was probably the average top speed), but it should be challenging since those cars didn't have the technology of today, so it will be a lot harder. You can do many things like drive wrecklessly, race cars, get chased by cops, rob banks, be involved in gang wars, steal vehicles, transport illegal goods (like liquor and firearms) by truck, ship or train, and many other things. But remember, don't screw up, because Mr. Capone only wants the best gangsters in his gang. Think you can take it? I can't think of a good title for this game, any suggestions?

So what do you think? Is this another cool idea for a game?

Assaultmachine1
04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
It sounds pretty interesting, Driverman2006. Now if you could spend more time and work to help improve it more and more, which will be a big help for you if you decide on doing so.

Driverman2006
04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's an idea I have for another game. And yes, I've been thinking about it for a week already, so you shouldn't be disappointed. Enjoy!

It's called "Drive 75", for current day systems. This game is not part of the "Driver" series. In this game, the year is 1975, and is set in New Haven, CT. This game will be full of vehicles from the time period and before, and you can do anything with the word "Drive" (but there will be on foot action and customization too). The game starts off when you play as a New Haven cab driver in his mid-20s (pretty young for a character, and I can't think of names for these characters, sorry), and your girlfriend breaks up with you. You eventually become very depressed and you are desprite to win her back. So you quit being a cab driver and you sign up to be a cop. I mean, don't chicks dig a man in uniform? Lol. But anyway, you go from this Average-Joe cab driver to a cop rookie, learning to drive [75] (75 mph on average that is, like it's title, "Drive 75") and shoot, like all other cops.

After passing the Police academy, you move on doing undercover missions, and the NHPD wants you to take down a real "Jumpy" gang. This means they go do crimes from city to city, but they are from New Haven. They eventually move on to a city not too far away from New Haven; New York City. New Haven will have all of New Haven County, so there's a lot of cool stuff to see.

New York is different than New Haven. It's much bigger, the crime rate is higher, and traffic will be much harder to dodge. You will have to be very careful driving on NYC's busy roads and still get the jobs done. NYC won't be limited to just the boroughs or Manhattan, you can go out to the "Tail" of Connecticut, the Hudson Valley, New Jersey, and even Long Island. So that's even bigger! But New York isn't the last place this gang wants to conquer... Pack your bags for the West Coast, time for a "Surfin' Safari"!

Los Angeles, the stars, the movies, the drugs, the cars, and the perfect opportunity to become [in]famous. The missions in L.A. are different than New York or New Haven (the East Coast). You have more freeways than ever, tougher criminals to deal with (whether they're in or out of the gang you want to stop from New Haven), and hotter weather to deal with. L.A. won't be just the L.A. city limits, but with all of Los Angeles County (which is huge). Some of L.A.'s "Residents" will love seeing you drive wrecklessly, and you might be hired as a stunt driver for movies later on in the game. But the New Haven gang isn't finished yet, time to head north to everybody's favorite in driving games... San Francisco!!!

San Francisco is the last, and hardest (hopefully) city in the game. It will extend out to Marin County, El Cerrito, San Jose, Oakland, and Napa Valley. Now, you will have to deal with hills that are as tall as mountains, fog/haze (in the morning mainly), shark-infested/cold water, and the hardest of the hardest people to chase (with any mode of transportation). Now you've got to do your worst, take down all of the people in the gangs from New Haven, New York, L.A., and Frisco. Remember, you're doing this for the NHPD and your ex-girlfriend that left you.

OK, that's the story. Now onto gameplay...
You can do ANYTHING with the word "Drive". You can drive road vehicles, trains, and boats, no planes, but a police chopper would be a cool unlockable (the feds don't want you to fly planes into the Twin Towers like a terrorist or idiot in games). But you'll spend a lot of time driving cars, especially muscle cars!

No front end menu, but that's a good thing! You can access anything, at any time! You can start missions/side missions at any time, and find cool/fun things to do!

Weapons, not a big part of the game, but there will be some guns, explosives, and melee weapons. You can do drivebies with firearms.

Sidemissions, lots and lots of them! And you can access these in all of the cities. Most of them are 90% driving. You can do things like taxi driver (even after you quit), freight train driver, passenger train driver, subway driver (all cities except for New Haven and San Francisco), perfect delivery, tow truck driver, 18 wheeler driver, on-duty police work (in uniform, and will be required to wear it), firefighter, meat wagon driver, SWAT driver, stick up (although you will kill the robber and take out the getaway driver), mail driver, delivery truck driver, coast guard, and many more driving-related side missions. You will be showered in cash doing the sidemissions.

Customization. Customize your vehicles in any way you want, with all of the bells and whistles (lol)! Change the rims, tires, horns/whistles, paint scheme, details on the interior and exterior (like flames, decals, bubbles, etc), license plates (all of the states and lettering), engine upgrades like superchargers, spoilers, exhaust pipes, grilles, hydraulics, and many more upgrades that you can add to your ride, inside, and out. Everything is drivable and customizable.

[Pant... pant... pant] I think I'm seeing double now. What do you think? Another good idea for a "Winner" of a game?

Assaultmachine1
04-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Wow. You actually put a lot of effort into this idea. That's very good, Driverman2006. Perhaps this idea will be just the beginning of seeing yourself create ideas that are bigger than you could normally expect from yourself. Keep up the good work.

Driverman2006
04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the compliment, man! And if this game comes out (whether Reflections makes it, or if I make it) and the sales are really good, then I might come up with a sequel, "Drive 85", which would be set in 1985 with the same guy that you played in 75, there will be newer vehicles, and you'll be hittin' "85" on your speedometer a lot.

Assaultmachine1
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I doubt that Reflections will ever take someone's ideas into account and turn them into a game, but I'm sure that it would be for the better since you can instead turn it into a real game rather than have Reflections do it for you.