PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with planes

Warhammer_II
05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I picked this game up a ways back and have been unable to get much flight time in it until recently (my son has been hogging all the seat time). I've tried flying some of the various big name planes of the war, the P-47 and P-51 and they seem to be outperformed by LW aircraft from prior years of the war, even at altitude, Antons and 109 G-6s primarily. I cannot outclimb them, and even in a dive they can keep up with me.

So my question is, what types of planes are good for newbies as myself to get a feel of? I would like to find one, and fly it extensively, but I'm not sure how all the planes are modeled and it seems that some (such as the P-51) are undermodeled to some extent (P-47 seemed about right, its just a slug when it comes to climb). Also, how much of a FM boost does the AI get?

Thanks!

WOLFMondo
05-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Ai plays by different rules to human controlled planes, there structural DM is nothing like human controlled planes i.e. break up speeds are much higher in AI planes. Fly either the P51 for P47 against a human controlled Anton at 25K feet and you'll see just how good the P51 and P47 are. Down low there not so good and its where the Antons do there work best.

The P51 is a plane you need to learn a little before setting out fighting the luftwaffles but like the P47 excels higher up. The P47D (represents a D model from mid 1944 onwards) is pretty good from 10,000ft up. Its a big old plane so its never going to climb well, especially compared with any BF109's which are famous for there high rate of climb.

A good plane to learn in are the P40 series and some of the more docile early war planes like the A6M2, P39N1, Hurricane, BF109E, Ki41, Yak1, IL2's or the Wildcats.

Im sure someone will tell me if Im wrong but according to most tests with this game vs real world data the P51 is fairly accurate. One thing to note with the P51 is with more than 50% fuel is a bit of a pig. Flying it with 25% to 50% its pretty agile with the Mustang MkIII being one fo the very best performers in this sim.

Warhammer_II
05-18-2007, 07:31 AM
That's probably part of my problem, I was flying with 100% fuel in the P-51. I started the mission at 7500m, so I had plenty of altitude and did notice that performance suffered (as I expected) when I went to a lower altitude.

I was shocked at how sometimes the roll rate was great and other times it was like I was rolling a sow on its back. I thought the P-47 rolled much better than the P-51. I like the P-51s climb rate much more than the P-47. The P-47D I was using didn't like to go back to altitude after a dive.

Zoom2136
05-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Get yourself online and start enjoying the finer qualities of this sim...

Thing you need :

Headset with mic
Track IR
Teamspeak

You will find this game amazing... blowing up an AI controlled plane is kind of fun... blowing up a real life pilot... is just so much better...

As for plane... try the all mighty Spitfire. I personnaly fly the Spit IXe low altitude clip wing (LF CW). It's slower than a FW but about on par with the 109's (just a bit slower).

Breakup speed in a dive in 820kph

It has decent fire power (2x 20mm and 2x 50's) so it can dish out some nice punishment... You will have to put more hit on an enemy to bring it down than if you were flying a MK108 armed gunboat though...

It is a very nible fighter and when flown fast and high will bring you back home most of the time...

If your gunnury is not so hot... try flying MK108 armed FW or BF109's... these are one shoot wonder cannons... In most case you just need one hit to kill your apponent... much easier once you get your gunnery up to par...

Just got to remember to use B&Z tactics (come in from above fast... shoot... and then climb away... then repeat)

Almost all planes are good as long a you use the right tactics...

Have fun and welcome to this game...

Bearcat99
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Do you have 46?

From my understanding the AI has the same FM we do.. it is just that they utilize everything perfectly.... except for the SA.. the Ace AI look around more.

What Mondo said about the Pony is pretty much what I have seen.. I would say if it is US planes you want the P-40s are a good place to start... set your convergence to @200 or so... give or take 25.. and dont start shooting till you getwithin 25 in either direction.. (If C is @ 200 then shoot between 175 & 225 for best damage.. @ convergence is best though)

Make sure your plane is trimmed..

MrMojok
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
It's up to you, but I'd recommend staying away from a plane like the P-51 until you've 'cut your teeth', so to speak, on a more docile ride. WolfMondo's list up there is pretty good for ones to start out in. I spent most of my 'formative' hours in a Hurri, meself.

I don't know if you are going to fly German planes too but FW-190 is the same in my opinion. Stay away from it at first.

Anyways, good luck. And when you feel ready, get online! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Warhammer_II
05-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Yes, I have 46. My problem last night was the AI was doing a lot of high alt. yo-yos and I never had an E advantage.

I then went back and tried using friendlies to shoot up and did better, but was only taking down one or two planes per mission.

Two things I noticed, I need to improve my manuvering for a good shooting solution as well as adjusting my closing speed. I also need to practice attacking at angles rather than stern shots.

BuzzU
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Why don't you just fly the planes that are beating you? The 109 is one of the easiest planes to fly.

Bearcat99
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Warhammer_II:
Two things I noticed, I need to improve my manuvering for a good shooting solution as well as adjusting my closing speed. I also need to practice attacking at angles rather than stern shots.

That will only come with practice. As for the shooting.....

Sniper's Corner (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=296) is a good tool for that.

Also Snapshot (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=290) might help too.

Along with Deflection Shooting by Karost (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=291).

carguy_
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
You won`t get any kind of a hunch about planes` performance,especially relative performance while flying against AI.AI has about 30% better performance than a human driven plane.

Oh and the P51 is the best plane in the game in its role and one of the best in other assignments.

Zoom2136
05-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Best way to practice your gunnery is to set up a QMB (quick mission) where you fly your plane of choice against the maximum amount of enemy C-47 Dakotas...

Those planes are slow and are unarmed... you can pratice making run at them from multiple angles... thus gaging the amount of lead you need to score hits...

That's how I started out... now I score about 10% accuracy... in A2A combat... so practice do make perfect...

Also "snipers corners" is a formidable tool to get a sence of the amount of lead you need... ball park figure considering that most engagements (furball) are at speed of about 350-400 kph... at that speed you can lead the enemy by about one plane lenght (at a range of about 100m)... and you should do good...

Remember 1 plane lenght along the longitudinal axis of the enemy...

Have fun...