PDA

View Full Version : Flying courtmarshal

turnipkiller
11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
I watched a show on the History channel last night, I think it was called The Last Days of WW2. This particular episode focused in on the Allies attempting to find a bridgehead to cross the Rhine River into Germany. They finally found one, and just as they were crossing it there were two massive explosions from charges placed on the bridge by the Germans, but the bridge still stood intact. Eventually they took and held the bridge and the Germans retreated.

The show then went on to say that Hitler ordered a "flying courtmarshal" for the SS troops responsible for holding the bridge. German bombers were ordered to bomb the SS troops that let the bridge fall into Allied hands. Five commanding officers were brought into an official courtmarshal, and four were executed. I had never heard of this before and thought it was quite interesting.

turnipkiller
11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
I watched a show on the History channel last night, I think it was called The Last Days of WW2. This particular episode focused in on the Allies attempting to find a bridgehead to cross the Rhine River into Germany. They finally found one, and just as they were crossing it there were two massive explosions from charges placed on the bridge by the Germans, but the bridge still stood intact. Eventually they took and held the bridge and the Germans retreated.

The show then went on to say that Hitler ordered a "flying courtmarshal" for the SS troops responsible for holding the bridge. German bombers were ordered to bomb the SS troops that let the bridge fall into Allied hands. Five commanding officers were brought into an official courtmarshal, and four were executed. I had never heard of this before and thought it was quite interesting.

Low_Flyer_MkII
11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Google search 'Remagen'. Interesting story. The planes the Germans used to attacke the bridge included Arado jet bombers. First I've heard of Lutwaffe attacking Germans, though. Might look into this meself.

marc_hawkins
11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
I always thought that 'flying Court martial' also meant summary exectution (after a kangaroo court style quick trial) of those found deserting and so forth at the end of the reich, even for those who had just become separated from their units and were lost!