06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
TAKEN WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE EVANSVILLE COURIER & PRESS website

Operation LST: Normandy re-enactment set for Evansville shore

By TREVOR BROWN
, Courier & Press staff
Originally published 12:00 a.m., May 31, 2007
Updated 09:34 a.m., June 1, 2007

UPDATE

A picture caption in today's paper on Page B3 has the incorrect times for the D-Day reenactments this weekend at the LST Memorial near Marina Pointe.

The times are at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday. On Sunday, reenactments will be at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., said Mike Whicker, executive director of the USS LST Ship Memorial.

Whicker said last year's event brought about 400 to 500 people to witness the renactments, and he said there was sufficient parking at the ship's memorial. But he urged people who want to see this year's activities to arrive early because parking at the site is on a first-come-first served basis.

EARLIER

EVANSVILLE -- Storming the shores of the Ohio River amid artillery bursts and pops of gunfire, more than 200 Allied and German soldiers are set to invade Evansville this weekend.

World War II re-enactors from around the Midwest will set their sights on Operation LST D-Day 2007 to commemorate and re-create the historic Allied invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944.

"This is to honor the sacrifice of all of those that took part in D-Day," said Mike Whicker, executive director of the USS LST Ship Memorial.

"A lot of men were killed and wounded on that day, a lot of young men," he said.

A weekend full of events, including four different re-enacted battles, marks the second year the USS LST Ship Memorial has put on the event at Marina Pointe. With two battles both Saturday and Sunday, Whicker said he expects a significantly larger and more authentic event than last year's.

Coming from all over the region and from all walks of life, the volunteer re-enactors are "real historians," Whicker said.

"Some of them do several battles a year, some only do one or two," he said. "They range from teachers and professional historians to doctors, lawyers or plumbers. They really know their World War II history and weapons too. These are not just guys out for a lark."

The first battle will start at 1 p.m. Saturday with the landing of the Allied troops from the Ohio River with Higgins boats and an amphibious tank.

Whicker said this D-Day re-enactment is the only one in the country that features the landing using Higgins boats, which were used during the actual invasion. At 4 p.m. there will be a counterattack by the German defenders.

The third battle, to start at 1 p.m. Sunday, will recall hedgerow fighting, which saw the Allies and Germans battling along lines of rocks, trees and bushes.

Finally, the fourth battle will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday.

"This is last mop-up of the Germans," Whicker said. "And, of course, this is when the Germans are going to lose."

In addition to the battles, historical displays will be up around the site, and Saturday night a "stage-door canteen" will be held with performers from the University of Southern Indiana's drama department serving as "dime-a-dance" canteen girls to dance and mingle with the re-enactors. Whicker added the American troops will be sleeping at the site in their tents and available for public viewing.

Whicker, expecting about 3,000 spectators this weekend, said people should bring lawn chairs and arrive early.

Also, a crew from the History Channel will be on hand at LST 325 this weekend, filming for a new show called "Hero Ships." The 13-part series will chronicle the history of the LSTs in one of its episodes.

Chris Donahue, an LST crewman assigned to work with the History Channel crew, said LST 325 is the only operational ship of its kind still in original condition.

Donahue said he'll serve as a technical adviser to crew members as they tour the ship.

"You can't purchase coverage like this kind of publicity," he said. "We've been working on getting this together for about a year and it finally gelled together."

He said the History Channel moved up the filming date so the crew can get coverage of the re-enacted battles.

>As I posted last week, I had the opportunity to tour this fine vessel on the 18th. The crew is highly dedicated to restoring her. Our tour guide spent all last summer chipping & painting the aft anchor winch area. The ceiling of the tank deck still shows damage from a 20mm round that came through & killed a British serviceman & wounded several others.

If you have the opportunity, I highly suggest making the trip & spending the $10 for the tour.
Just be sure to go on a cool or cloudy day. In the hot sun, the berthing area gets to be about 120 degrees. They hope to be able to provide rides on the Higgins boats & on the LST itself in the near future, IF Uncle Sam doesn't kill the whole thing with red tape.
http://www.lstmemorial.org/
Turtle

BRASSTURTLE
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
TAKEN WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE EVANSVILLE COURIER & PRESS website

Operation LST: Normandy re-enactment set for Evansville shore

By TREVOR BROWN
, Courier & Press staff
Originally published 12:00 a.m., May 31, 2007
Updated 09:34 a.m., June 1, 2007

UPDATE

A picture caption in today's paper on Page B3 has the incorrect times for the D-Day reenactments this weekend at the LST Memorial near Marina Pointe.

The times are at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday. On Sunday, reenactments will be at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., said Mike Whicker, executive director of the USS LST Ship Memorial.

Whicker said last year's event brought about 400 to 500 people to witness the renactments, and he said there was sufficient parking at the ship's memorial. But he urged people who want to see this year's activities to arrive early because parking at the site is on a first-come-first served basis.

EARLIER

EVANSVILLE -- Storming the shores of the Ohio River amid artillery bursts and pops of gunfire, more than 200 Allied and German soldiers are set to invade Evansville this weekend.

World War II re-enactors from around the Midwest will set their sights on Operation LST D-Day 2007 to commemorate and re-create the historic Allied invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944.

"This is to honor the sacrifice of all of those that took part in D-Day," said Mike Whicker, executive director of the USS LST Ship Memorial.

"A lot of men were killed and wounded on that day, a lot of young men," he said.

A weekend full of events, including four different re-enacted battles, marks the second year the USS LST Ship Memorial has put on the event at Marina Pointe. With two battles both Saturday and Sunday, Whicker said he expects a significantly larger and more authentic event than last year's.

Coming from all over the region and from all walks of life, the volunteer re-enactors are "real historians," Whicker said.

"Some of them do several battles a year, some only do one or two," he said. "They range from teachers and professional historians to doctors, lawyers or plumbers. They really know their World War II history and weapons too. These are not just guys out for a lark."

The first battle will start at 1 p.m. Saturday with the landing of the Allied troops from the Ohio River with Higgins boats and an amphibious tank.

Whicker said this D-Day re-enactment is the only one in the country that features the landing using Higgins boats, which were used during the actual invasion. At 4 p.m. there will be a counterattack by the German defenders.

The third battle, to start at 1 p.m. Sunday, will recall hedgerow fighting, which saw the Allies and Germans battling along lines of rocks, trees and bushes.

Finally, the fourth battle will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday.

"This is last mop-up of the Germans," Whicker said. "And, of course, this is when the Germans are going to lose."

In addition to the battles, historical displays will be up around the site, and Saturday night a "stage-door canteen" will be held with performers from the University of Southern Indiana's drama department serving as "dime-a-dance" canteen girls to dance and mingle with the re-enactors. Whicker added the American troops will be sleeping at the site in their tents and available for public viewing.

Whicker, expecting about 3,000 spectators this weekend, said people should bring lawn chairs and arrive early.

Also, a crew from the History Channel will be on hand at LST 325 this weekend, filming for a new show called "Hero Ships." The 13-part series will chronicle the history of the LSTs in one of its episodes.

Chris Donahue, an LST crewman assigned to work with the History Channel crew, said LST 325 is the only operational ship of its kind still in original condition.

Donahue said he'll serve as a technical adviser to crew members as they tour the ship.

"You can't purchase coverage like this kind of publicity," he said. "We've been working on getting this together for about a year and it finally gelled together."

He said the History Channel moved up the filming date so the crew can get coverage of the re-enacted battles.

>As I posted last week, I had the opportunity to tour this fine vessel on the 18th. The crew is highly dedicated to restoring her. Our tour guide spent all last summer chipping & painting the aft anchor winch area. The ceiling of the tank deck still shows damage from a 20mm round that came through & killed a British serviceman & wounded several others.

If you have the opportunity, I highly suggest making the trip & spending the $10 for the tour.
Just be sure to go on a cool or cloudy day. In the hot sun, the berthing area gets to be about 120 degrees. They hope to be able to provide rides on the Higgins boats & on the LST itself in the near future, IF Uncle Sam doesn't kill the whole thing with red tape.
http://www.lstmemorial.org/
Turtle

Hanglands
06-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Damn, I thought this would be within travel-able distance from me... in the UK.

Anyway, I for one would be glad to see any pix, if youre able to get there Brass Turtle.

BRASSTURTLE
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
FOR HAGLANDS:

TANK DECK
Looking forward:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/BRASSTURTLE/TANKDECKBOW.jpg

Looking aft:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/BRASSTURTLE/TANKDECKSTERN.jpg

Bow doors:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/BRASSTURTLE/TANKDECKBOW2.jpg

I'll post more tomorrow. I am at work. The tank deck is 300 feet long. ~100m for you metric types. The whole ship is 328ft long. Most of the pics i have are of the 20 & 40mm gun mounts.