PDA

View Full Version : New map is target stronghold.

sandmanssorrow
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I played it a lot yesterday, day and night. It really favors the target, it's a big map with many lengthy free routes.
I'm happy to see a map tailored more to the free runners.
And before anyone says the developers meant it to be played stealthy try to get your mind around the fact that the developers are the ones who put rooftops AND running into the game in the first place.

luth411
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
I really like the map as well. I'm not sure what you mean about it favoring the target or free-runners, though.

Maps like Monteriggioni are like this one in the sense that they have a very staggered vertical levels. It's not that they are conducive to free-running more than another style, but a lot more chases will take place on rooftops with quick drops down into narrow alleys and around sharp corners.

If you take some time to wander the map and learn all the chase breakers and tunnels and pathways, you might think the map is tailored to those who meander the streets to find their targets. There's a lot of routes that carry you around to all different elevations and locations. A savvy player will be able to quickly lose a pursuer or cut-off a contract regardless of the path they're taking.

sandmanssorrow
12-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by mpagano411:
I really like the map as well. I'm not sure what you mean about it favoring the target or free-runners, though.

Maps like Monteriggioni are like this one in the sense that they have a very staggered vertical levels. It's not that they are conducive to free-running more than another style, but a lot more chases will take place on rooftops with quick drops down into narrow alleys and around sharp corners.

If you take some time to wander the map and learn all the chase breakers and tunnels and pathways, you might think the map is tailored to those who meander the streets to find their targets. There's a lot of routes that carry you around to all different elevations and locations. A savvy player will be able to quickly lose a pursuer or cut-off a contract regardless of the path they're taking.

I meant that I played several matches where it was easier to escape hunters due to the size of the map and the lengthy elevated free routes and staggered roof tops than on other maps. Long chases, nice options for dodging the gun, couple of populated courtyards that are easy to get to and bait and trap.
It seems like its a location where kill counts can be kept relatively low which I'm sure doesn't appeal to the aggressive hunters but I favor not dying over killing, it's more rewarding on a personal level and I don't need the points anymore.

tallinn1960
12-16-2010, 02:24 AM
I played that map as well a number of times yesterday evening, and although I performed bad on that map (due to the reason that I spent more time with "sight-seeing" than with playing) I did not see runners being more successful on that map then on any other map with roofs available. Most kills seem to take place either at the yard near the water or in a small yard on the upper level. Both places seem to be choke points of some sort in that map. The danger for runners in that map are some dead ends on the roof, spots where you can not longer proceed into each direction. Imagine to come into such a spot during a chase: you are screwed if your smoke bomb is unavailable. Furthermore I found a lot of places where you are safe from attacks from above discouraging roof running as well. But it is true that you can use running to close the distance to your contract here more often then on other maps without giving you away to your pursuer as the map provides lots of cover.

Lance-Ismael
12-16-2010, 03:43 AM
I played the map twice last night (one day, one night) and I really sucked both time. I was almost ashamed.
I play the game stealthy, mostly because I want more points for my kill and because, to be honest, I am not the most skilled free runner and roof top climber. Anyway, it happened to me yesterday - more than usual - that runners either killed me before I reached my target in this large map or that good free-runners escaped when I was to fast and became high profile. Sure, the latter is my fault, but I agree that this map favors running much more. But hey, there are maps like Siena and Castel Gandolfo which favor heavily my style of playing.

Bratman Du
12-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Daytime? I didn't know there was a daytime version too!

I like this map - it's pretty different from the rest. I don't see why people complain about it being a roof runners paradise. Chases are fun too! Sometimes you go stealth, sometimes you don't, do you really want a mp game where you gotta do the same thing every match? You need a bit of excitement every now and then!

I love the whole stealthy, poisoney gameplay, and winning a match with 2 kills, etc. But free running is a part of ACB too, and a lot of fun/well implemented so why shouldn't people run about wherever they like???

BleZeneth
12-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Lance-Ismael:
I played the map twice last night (one day, one night) and I really sucked both time. I was almost ashamed.
I play the game stealthy, mostly because I want more points for my kill and because, to be honest, I am not the most skilled free runner and roof top climber. Anyway, it happened to me yesterday - more than usual - that runners either killed me before I reached my target in this large map or that good free-runners escaped when I was to fast and became high profile. Sure, the latter is my fault, but I agree that this map favors running much more. But hey, there are maps like Siena and Castel Gandolfo which favor heavily my style of playing.

I feel the exact same way.

sandmanssorrow
12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by postwick:
after playing this map a few times, from pure aesthetics it is amazing. from a gameplay perspective, it's terrible.

runner's paradise. not what I thought this game was supposed to be about.

I agree with you that it's a Runner's paradise, that's what I meant in the OP but I don't agree that the game is supposed to be about stealth. I think it's about both, hence the different ways to get to where you're going.
I know everybody loves being top of the board with a couple of kills but you can get up there fairly easily with a high kill count low score average.
Ideally, getting to where you need to go fast AND keeping the detection meter low is what works best, then you can couple your stealth and running tactics like a mega formula.
I run at the first sign of trouble these days and more often than not my pursuer gets killed before he/she gets to me then I focus on my target.
A good run to the general vicinity, hide out of view prior to the radar hitting 'glow' and then a little observation before stealthily making the approach.
Hiding while using TV is also a better strategy, the guys using it while walking directly towards me really help get my Stun average up.