PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes "good"AI to you?

Bearcat99
09-17-2005, 08:19 PM
As most of us know thw AI in this sim is not perfect.. not that any AI in any sim is. It is however better than most sims past or present. I was flying an I16 against two Ki43s today and was impressed once again with the way that each plane seems to fly differently as far as the AI goes. It got me to thinking about AI. As much as we complain about it.. when you think about it the AI has an incredible job to do. The AI has to cover each other.. and they do... they have to counter your moves on the fly to get the kill... and they do.. and they have to do the same thing to avoid being killed... and they do that quite welltoo. As good as they are though we all can attest to some of the dumb AI stuff we have seen.. Im not talking about programming flaws like when they crash into mountains and such.. I mean like when you call for help and they dont come. When you try to drag an enemy right by them that is riddling you with lead and they fly his wing.... and he doesnt disengage from you to go for the easier kill.... and how they sometimes fly that smoking burning plane around for minutes instead of either biling or crashing like a live pilot would do and the AI should do, sometimes even trying to shoot you still. As I said.. this AI is decent.. not perfect but to me a challnenge. What I would like to see in AI in the future... hopefully in BoB are the following features:

AI that has more interactivity to it... as in if they are being hit they will give a vector if you ask.

AI that is quicker to respond and will respond with more detail.... as in "I am engaged" or "Vector to 170!!" when you ask for help.. you know, sort of telling you where to bring the bandit to shorten the distance.... drag n bag.

AI that will not only fly according to the skill level you set for it.. but at higher levels will fly according to the type of plane you are flying.

AI that has more individualized commands.. as in "White 2 BREAK!!" and being able to tell them to go home individually.

AI that looses tally on you when you disappear in a cloud and change your AOA dramatically.

AI that will always defer to the live pilot when it comes to landing.

The AI we have does a lot of this stuff partially.. I imagine with a system like VAC the amount of commands would be limited by the programming... it wouldnt be like you would have to keep typing... just say it. Overall though I do like the AI in 4.xx... it has gotten a lot better since IL2 1.0 in terms of behavior and effectiveness.. and I think we sometimes take it for granted. There is more on my AI wishlist.. but I am curious as to what some of you think makes up good AI in a flight sim.

Bearcat99
09-17-2005, 08:19 PM
As most of us know thw AI in this sim is not perfect.. not that any AI in any sim is. It is however better than most sims past or present. I was flying an I16 against two Ki43s today and was impressed once again with the way that each plane seems to fly differently as far as the AI goes. It got me to thinking about AI. As much as we complain about it.. when you think about it the AI has an incredible job to do. The AI has to cover each other.. and they do... they have to counter your moves on the fly to get the kill... and they do.. and they have to do the same thing to avoid being killed... and they do that quite welltoo. As good as they are though we all can attest to some of the dumb AI stuff we have seen.. Im not talking about programming flaws like when they crash into mountains and such.. I mean like when you call for help and they dont come. When you try to drag an enemy right by them that is riddling you with lead and they fly his wing.... and he doesnt disengage from you to go for the easier kill.... and how they sometimes fly that smoking burning plane around for minutes instead of either biling or crashing like a live pilot would do and the AI should do, sometimes even trying to shoot you still. As I said.. this AI is decent.. not perfect but to me a challnenge. What I would like to see in AI in the future... hopefully in BoB are the following features:

AI that has more interactivity to it... as in if they are being hit they will give a vector if you ask.

AI that is quicker to respond and will respond with more detail.... as in "I am engaged" or "Vector to 170!!" when you ask for help.. you know, sort of telling you where to bring the bandit to shorten the distance.... drag n bag.

AI that will not only fly according to the skill level you set for it.. but at higher levels will fly according to the type of plane you are flying.

AI that has more individualized commands.. as in "White 2 BREAK!!" and being able to tell them to go home individually.

AI that looses tally on you when you disappear in a cloud and change your AOA dramatically.

AI that will always defer to the live pilot when it comes to landing.

The AI we have does a lot of this stuff partially.. I imagine with a system like VAC the amount of commands would be limited by the programming... it wouldnt be like you would have to keep typing... just say it. Overall though I do like the AI in 4.xx... it has gotten a lot better since IL2 1.0 in terms of behavior and effectiveness.. and I think we sometimes take it for granted. There is more on my AI wishlist.. but I am curious as to what some of you think makes up good AI in a flight sim.

x__CRASH__x
09-17-2005, 10:00 PM
In all honesty, I don't fly offline except for testing purposes for the very reasons you mention. AI just can't compare to flying with and against real humans. And that, my friend, is where the true challenge lies. And why I have continued to play this game exclusively for 3 years.

Badsight.
09-17-2005, 10:22 PM
AI has always fought differently in different planes

i find the Hardest fight is given when they are in Zeros & Yak-3's

WarWolfe_1
09-17-2005, 10:35 PM
AI gunners I'm sure it has been said are uber. I've been hit as far away as .90Km. AI aircraft are very good comparded to other games out there. When they're flying Zekes there's no comparing, as badsight said.

Tachyon1000
09-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I merely wish the AI would do something rather simple when it is leading a mission.

Speed (Power), Heading, Altitude.

That is what is needed to fly in formation.

At best you get, 2 out of the 3 at an infrequent and uncertain interval.

It might also be nice of the AI flew more like a person when in formation. Less exacting power and prop pitch shifting, more subtle and slower responses.

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 12:36 AM
AI is good in game, it's not perfect but it is good. Especially when player is flying on 'realistic' settings.

One 'flaw' is however bugged me for a long time now; how come that I can outturn every AI plane on deck - they will give up on turning quickly. FW-190 vs ace AI LA-7 - in deck tnb .. I won. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

That is also maybe the biggest flaw about AI IMO.

Otherwise, when looked in general, I must agree with thread poster, AI is good in IL-2 4.01. They have a t0n of good features... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flying_Nutcase
09-18-2005, 12:42 AM
I'd like to see the AI making better command decisions. For example, if a plane takes significant damage it heads for home.

It would also be good to be able to provide command parameters for flights, so for example they make only one attack run, then head for home. Or if two planes are taken out before the target they abort the mission. That sort of thing.

F19_Olli72
09-18-2005, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WarWolfe_1:
AI gunners I'm sure it has been said are uber. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
AI ubergunners is a myth.

My ubergunner challange:
http://www.newworldotter.com/reviews/images/mythbusters.jpg
Go online on a server like Warclouds or Greatergreen. Pick any bomber. Make 10 sorties, never man the gunnners. Record tracks. Dont fly near flak, that'll screw up the stats. Let us know what your hitrate was and how many kills your 'ubergunners' got.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Christos_swc
09-18-2005, 05:27 AM
AI can't exploit their a/c strengths.
How difficult they are depends on how good a turner they fly, take the 262 for example, they are the easyest to bring down and all german planes are the easiest targets offline, including the P-51 and P-47.
It's interesting that they try to gain alt when they see you as opposed to Yals and Las, Hurricanes and the like that go for head ons and turn fights but they don't know how to convert their E advantage.
All you have to do is make a turn and fire a potshot and that's it, they bleed all their energy.
Messers, FWs, P-47, P-51 are such easy targets.
All the AI knows is turn n burn so the late war planes that followed the trend "more firepower, more engine power, more armour, etc etc" and are supposedly air superiority fighters are in fact good target practice.

danjama
09-18-2005, 06:42 AM
I would like an option to thank my AI wingman for saving me from an enemy (when they have learnt to do this) and also to congratulate them on a kill and a succesful mission. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Morale is important

Friendly_flyer
09-18-2005, 06:50 AM
AI is AI, it's nothing we can do to change that. Sometimes they do stupid things because their program doesn't cover just that combination of parametres. They mostly get it right however, and humans can behave surprisingly stupid at times too.

NorrisMcWhirter
09-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Good AI would:

a. be unpredictable
b. fly a plane to it's particular strengths rather than using the same model for all.
c. 'threat prioritise' i.e. they'd go after the bandits that have an e advantage first....and they wouldn't shoot planes down that are clearly out of the fight already.

For the last point the AI is already perfect if you were to consider that perfect AI would mimic human behaviour precisely http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris

73GIAP_Milan
09-18-2005, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Good AI would:

a. be unpredictable
b. fly a plane to it's particular strengths rather than using the same model for all.
c. 'threat prioritise' i.e. they'd go after the bandits that have an e advantage first....and they wouldn't shoot planes down that are clearly out of the fight already.

For the last point the AI is already perfect if you were to consider that perfect AI would mimic human behaviour precisely http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only that but it would also use the very same flightmodels with the exact limits as the human controlled planes.

SeaFireLIV
09-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Ok, well now having the chance to finally run BOBII by shockwave without CTDs, I`ve had the chance to compare BOBII`s shockwave AI with FB`s AI.

FB`s AI is better in some regard. When Jerry AI decide to leave, they leave, you can`t catch them if their plane is faster.

FB`s AI does appear to use different parameters on some different planes.

FB`s AI avoidance/evade technique looks and feels real to me, espesially with 4.01 (no more bat turns in one place.

I really like FB`s AI, but like Bearcat says, it really needs lessons in COMMUNICATION.

This is where BOBII comes in.

BOBII AI tells you:

1. When a bogeys on your six and how high, low or wide. FB`s AI only says if someone`s on your six.

2. It warns you sometimes of a sudden German attack from on high. And also warns- BREAK! He`ll also say stuff like, "This is Green leader, I`m engaging your bogey" or "Do a defensive split!" Which I`m still not sure what that means yet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif I even had one where he said, "Red leader, that one`s mine!"

3. You get instructions sometimes from one Squadron, say Green Leader, telling your Squad what to do, ie, Red Leader, you fly top cover while we go in. Ok, everybody, pick your targets!"

4. You never get lost. Ask Tower or your wingmen where they are and they`ll give you precise instructions. If you had a bogey a second ago but lost him, ask a `sighting request` and your wingman will say where he is or "I don`t know".

5. You get great comments like: "It`s like shooting the side of a barn!" As we decimated a Stuka Squadron, or "A heluva lot of Stukas!" or "Bombers with high fighter escourt!"

The guys really went to a LOT of work to make sure you are really immersed in the radio chatter and that it`s helpful.

Some problems with AI. Stukas tend to `drop` when shot at. This could be a neg-g manouever thing to make my Hurri choke. After a great 109 battle, the 109s break and run, but they are too slow. It`s easier to catch them in my Hurri and waste them and only the attacked 109 responds, not the others. A bug there. maybe it`s a difficulty-level thing.

So no flight sim is perfect, but in my view BOBII way beats FB in the AI comms department. If Oleg could pop this level of comms in his BOB with good voice actors (as they are in BOBII), it will surely be a winner.

SeaFireLIV
09-18-2005, 08:22 AM
oh ya and you can pop in and out of clouds like crazy.

Actually, it`s frustrating at times when the AI does it to you. One minute your on his 6, he dives into cloud, you go after him - lost him. You wonder around, Agh! There he is on your six! You dive into cloud, he`s lost you, you get back on his six and on and on....

A battle can last half an hour just playing this cat and mouse game!

Kuna15
09-18-2005, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I even had one where he said, "Red leader, that one`s mine!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You stealer, you! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Grey_Mouser67
09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Overall I like the AI...best I've seen but here are a few things that I'd like to see Oleg correct...

1) Speedy AI...i feel like the AI is exploiting the prop pitch cheat so if he fixes it, the AI might fall in line...it is most noticable in 109's, but Fw's also...they just dip their nose and pull away from you at will...or climb slightly and just pull away.

2) Kill stealing...destroys immersion

3) You can't call and effectively get a plane to get the guy off your six. It is a pain in the **** to get plane...zekes, ki's and 109's are famous for this...on your six and you just drag them around with you...you call and call and call and nobody does anything...lots of times your wingman.

4) Wingman doesnt stay close or engage enemy before you get shot...some aircraft are much worse than others for some reason...Lightning is one of the worst...I wonder if there is a fighter/bomber AI routine because pure fighters I don't seem to have this problem.

5) Can't count the times that enemy and friendly in pursuit of a plane fly right next to each other and don't engage...and yes they have ammo.

6) Japanese planes don't T&B...Oleg got better B&Z I think, but I believe Japanese planes aught to have a different algorithm...lots of work though so I understand.

7) unless you order them, they will crash into the ground on landings.

Enforcer572005
09-18-2005, 11:22 AM
The AI wingmen appeat to come to your aid IF they dont have a bandit on thier six, and IF they have ammo. After wathcing a bunch of tracks of misns, Im pretty sure that ammo depletion is why they dont come help. They should let you know this though, and should announce this and go home when they are out, which happens too much because they fire those idiotic 10 second bursts; AI should fire an assortment of short bursts at different timing levels, like 2 and 3 second bursts. I have to order them to break to keep them from running out too soon.

ALSO, there should be an AGGRESSION level as well as a skill level, like they have in CFS-2. You had alot more control over the performance of AI if you could control that to. Some will stay longer while others bug out sooner, and it affected the range and duration of attacks alot. Really allowed much more detailed tailoriing of AI.

It could be a little more consistant to. I have most of my ai wingmen crash on return to base unless i order them to RTB, but sometimes, i have them just make a low pass alongsid the runway to make their own approach.

Bearcat99
09-18-2005, 12:07 PM
I have found that VAC is great for enhancing AI behavior because you can concentrate on flying.. even with the available commands VAC makes it better and IMO is a must for anyone who flies offline or Coops.

FI_Willie
09-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Other than the normal silly stuff like ALL of your wingmen chasing ONE burning plane off into the sunset....

My complaint is this, after you've gone out and done the mission and what is left of you and your group makes it back to airfield, I wish those tossers would STAY OUT OF THE WAY until I get my plane landed. I've ordered them to different waypoints, told them to loiter out beyond the base and they still try to fly with you/under you and INTO you just about the time you flare for landing. Failing to do that they crash into each other and start screaming 'I'M HIT!!"

They're pretty predicitable in the game as an adversary and I have had my wingman clear my six on a few occasions. They don't whine about kill stealing. (they just DO IT. LOL) Nor do they call you n00b or other less savory names either. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

dieg777
09-18-2005, 01:54 PM
FI Willie has got it right
the only two points that P155 me off with AI- them all charging off after one low and slow bandit leaving me to deal with next wave of bandits and the crashes on landing- apart from that Im very satisfied- maybe I just need to work more on my commands-I have VAC and just bought headphones with mike so this may help.

Bearcat99
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
So what constitutes good AI guys... we have gone around the complaints.. the bad stufff.. but what makes GOOD AI. To YOU.

LEXX_Luthor
09-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Good AI should follow the advice "Beware the Hun in the sun."

Good AI lose visual ability in seeing the player or other AI near the sun (**), depending on AI skill level. High skill AI (also called Old Timer AI or Noob AI) should be less distracted by the sun than Newbie AI.

The old DOS Su-27 Flanker 1.0 from 1995 had heat seeking missiles that were distracted by the sun, so the introductory level vector arithmetic needed for this has been done in a flight sim during the last century. A bit harder is programming AI to take offensive advantage of the sun -- hiding in the sun. That could be tricky to program. AI being merely defensively blinded by the sun is easy, in fact, 20th Century stuff.

** ...provided the sun is not obscured by clouds or below the horizon or mountains -- this is another complication but one that can be dealt with by the vectors. Flanker 1.0 had mountains masking ground radar coverage, and this was 1995 under the DOS operating system and 486 processors, so simple sun masking by mountains should be possible in the 21st Century. But combining this with AI taking offensive advantage of the sun if its not masked I cannot begin to imagine how to program. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

tagTaken2
09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Bearcat... you know what... your typing reminds me of... that asthmatic kid ... in the... wheelchair from "malcolm in the middle"... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Whats the... story?

NerdConnected
09-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Bearcat99,

The 4.01 patch made it a lot more real and a lot more immersive for me. Overall, It just looks more convincing, but I feel the AI is not fully capable of handling the new limitations and possible benefits of the new FM.

Now that the 'big' AI cheats are gone, the flying AI should now focus more on maintaning and exploiting energy and that's a bit different from what AI had to do before. I think the AI is still a lot better at exploiting the capabilities of T&B planes than B&Z ones, because the latter ones need another AI tactic when it comes to flying.

Often B&Z ones still try to turn with the enemy or let the enemy fighters get too close on their tail. Exceptionally manouverable fighters like e.g. I-16, later Yak versions and LA5/7's have the ability to quickly go over to the defensive and escape, but those that are better suited for B&Z are normally not capable of doing this. Their best defense and attack is speed and this requires AI that better plan their manouvers and exploit the true capabilities of their plane.

It would be great if the AI would have some limited knowledge of the pro's and con's of the type of their own and their opponents plane. Afterall this is one of the key factors that in the end determines flying tactic's. I'm not sure if this implemented in some way into the current AI, but maybe this will allow them to let them execute more effective ACM.

On other thing that can be improved is the way friendly fighters fight with eachother to shoot down an opponent. If an element is already engaged, I think the others should keep more distance or should just cover the first element. Why not fly some 1500 ft. above them so the can cover the first element and are in better position to attack possible others?

Anyway, my wishlist of things that can be actually done I think to somewhat improve AI:

Little standard things AI related things like:

- AI that can be queried:
* where are you?
* what's your status? (fuel, damage, RTB, engaged, at your six, etc, etc.)

- AI that informs you of relevant facts:
* bandit at your 10 o'clock low;
* enemy column at 1 o'clock, 3 miles;
* fuel low, damaged, RTB;
* out of ammo;
* attacking primairy target

- AI that requests (when human flight leader is present):
* permission to attack enemy bandits? (stay in formation, otherwise attack freely but prioritize i.e attack fighters before bombers;

- AI that can be instructed to do things like:
* flight 1: fly 5 miles ahead of us;
* flight 2: increase height to 20000 ft.
* take up position at left/right flank of bombers.

- AI/Mission related AI:

- AI that can be give flight orders/tactics before the mission begins:
* only engage enemy fighters (not bombers);
* only attack ground objects in the designated kill zone;
* when primairy objective is reached, attack freely in predesignated secondary zone (or return to formation);
* e.g. escort flight 1 always stays with the bombers and attacks only: 1) if called upon or 2) are attacked themselves or 3) when bombers are threatened;
* e.g. escort 2 always stays 5 miles ahead of the bombers;
* all escort flights can attack freely;

Other AI issues/improvements:

* planes that are low on fuel should have priority when landing;
* first group that take took off, should have highest priority to land when several groups try to land at the same time. They've been in the air longest;
* extremely slow moving planes like TB3 still cartwheel when trying to get back in formation so I guess there's a bug there;
* each plane model should have a fixed and, I think, very relaxed cruising speed (Maybe this ought to be AI controlled instead of mission editor related);
* A more relaxed way of AI trying to get back into formation is acceptable for me; If you as leader make hard sudden turns, don't expect others to follow immediately. Some distance is quite acceptable and make it more real;
* When low on fuel or damaged -&gt; RTB;
* When out of ammo, stay out of trouble and try to stay near friendly fighters;
* Let planes fly defensive circles to cover eachothers six;
* AI should recognize enemy flak and change formation, altitude or direction (when it's not their target);
* AI escort planes should stay clear of enemy flak when over the target zone (unless bombers are bounced by enemy fighters ofcourse);
* AI planes should avoid flying over occupied enemy airbases when on route (unless given attack or it's their target). Some things can be done in the mission planner, but in the game planes e.g. trying to get still fly over heavy flak defended bases to get back in to formation;
* AI should not see through clouds :-) ;
* AI that use plane with good all around cockpit view (and/or rear view mirrors), should have some SAW advantage;
* AI that fly in big formation should have some SAW advantage (lots of 'friendly' eyes in the sky). Maybe a slightly bigger overall 'SAW bubble' should be used;
* Ace AI should maybe see further than others experience levels;
* AI, when bounced during landing, should put up a fight, run away, hide or scatter;
* AI elements should perhaps sometimes split up earlier when faced with single enemy fighters;

Overall, I would love to see the AI perform more real life combat and flying tactics of that time as this would add greatly add to the immersion of the game.

Mark

tomtheyak
09-30-2005, 04:14 PM
You know, though there are many salient points about problems with the AI, and for my sins I agree with most if not all the posts here.

There is just one thing i'd like to point out...

Anyone remember the AI in CFS2?

The AI in this game was and still is a quantum leap in playability - especially when you consider the age of the engine (it's nearly as old as CFS2)and how complex flight sim AI must be.

I like the AI because generally the AI does what I tell it too when I tell it... I can remember very frustrating missions in many other sims (EAW or CFS2 just to start) asking my flight to attack a target of opportunity and getting nothing back. Or ordering a flight not to engage bandits as i try to go for positioning.

THe enemy are if not as dangerous as a human can still catch the careless/unwary especially at the higher skill levels and - for the most part - follow routines that mirror those of r/l tactics. Remember online fights often do not.

As for accuracy I like the not 100% hit-all every time that seemed to be the habit of previous sims, especially with bombs - fighter dive-bomb accuracy was very hap hazard and this shows.

The AI gunners are unforgiving but I find that you got to BnZ the bombers from high angles or from the beam - of course your gonna get nailed floating up behind a heavy at 20mph overtaking speed! Sheesh, even i can hit that.....! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yeah we have that odd rolling bomber, but not every time and if ur wingy crashes when u've landed then u either didnt tell him to, or (and heres the trick) if ur in any position but leading the flight go through the last waypoint b4 landing at ur base on autopilot and then the following a/c will enter the pattern.

The only things i think that did an urgent solution are -

1) When u lead the rest of ur flight never call out the fighters - this should be changed

2) Be great to be able to warn a fellow AI squad member of a bandit in dangerous position. Rowans MiG Alley had a neat feature that when u saw any friendly a/c with a bandit on his 6 u pressed a 'break' call key and the computer automatically worked out who the fella in trouble was and directed the call at him, even if i had no idea if it was red 3 or green 5.

Bearcats right - we got some serious negative waves issues on this old forum. Lets remember why we play this game..cough.. sorry, *simulation*, and praise the fact that we don't HAVE to go microsoft to get our warbird kicks.

Be cool peeps! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NerdConnected
10-01-2005, 01:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtheyak:
You know, though there are many salient points about problems with the AI, and for my sins I agree with most if not all the posts here.
Be cool peeps! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tomtheyak,

Never seen the AI in CFS2, but I've seen the AI in BOB2 (flying AI is pretty bad) and EAW (too old to compare) and I agree, IL2's AI is superior to those games. But, as always, we've become a bit spoiled and expect every month a bit more ;-)

I think Bearcat merely want's to know what kind of AI we'd like to see in games, so that kind of AI can be included in BOB or it can be fixed/tuned in Pacfic Fighters. AI can never perfect, we all know that.

There are however some issues with the current AI (Problably as a result of the AI using the same FM). For example, one of the things I noticed is that many times high speed fighters (eg. bf109's) like to dive down, but miss their target. They do not zoom back up after that, but continue to dive and usually make a sharp turn at the end of their run which makes them easy prey for the T&B fighters.

I very much like the way AI is bound to the FM like us players and think it's a step into the right direction, but I think it also means AI must keep and exploit energy the same way we do.

I'd very much like to see Maddox include that kind of AI behaviour/tactics in their next sim, or somewhat fix it in PF ;-)

Mark

Bearcat99
10-01-2005, 03:40 PM
This thread was never meant to be a "What about the AI in this sim pisses you off.." thread. It is a WHAT CONSTITUTES GOOD AI TO YOU thread.. and so far Nutcase, Norris,Nerd connected have captured the essence of what I was looking for in this thread. We all know about what this AI does.... good and bad... but the above mentioned posters read my original post and posted accordingly.. anyone else?

FritzGryphon
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What constitutes "good"AI to you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good AI should be indiscernable from a human player.