PDA

View Full Version : Airracing in BOB

daFat1
05-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Dear Oleg,

as a enthusiastic airracer I appreciate all airracing components that you built into FB! I race nearly every weekend at the Hyperlobby and LOVE it a lot!

PLEASE do not forget this in BOB! And while you're at it put in even more Airracing-stuff like inflatable gates, huge pylons and big In-Game racenumbers!!!

THings VERY cool to see in BOB would be WIDESCREEN-support and a dynamic atmosphear !!

..or stuff like working Oiltemp-gauges in the cockpit!

I'll buy it and make you rich!

Cheers

russ.nl
05-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I think Oleg is so confident and proud of the new flight model and dinamic weather that he will include ATLEAST this

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06201/all_019a_009.jpg (http://xs.to)
I hope he lets Peter Besenyei callubrate this plane.

And who nose what.

I'm confident that Oleg can pull it off again, and make the best Flight Sim for years and years to come.

slo_1_2_3
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif Isn't this supposed to be a air combat simulator? C'mon airracing can be fun but I dont think it should take over.

russ.nl
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
As long as it's done with ww2 planes it doesn't matter if it is used for racing, fighting or aerobatics. You need the same fm.
And have you seen the movie from the fighting wood******s. That takes skills.

Viper2005_
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
If he's got thermals, maybe we could have a glider. Racing gliders can be fun! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chuck_Older
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
People are going to dislike this post I think. You've been forewarned

You aren't going to have racing aircraft in BoB and you don't in Il2:FB or PF. The planes cannot be altered as to configuration, CoG, planform, powerplant, etc etc etc. They are all combat-ready

I understand you like this and it's fun but just because there are racing pylons in the FMB doesn't mean the sim had accurate air racing or even to my knowledge air racing in general as a concern. The pylons are "gimmes". Extras. Use 'em if you like, here you go

I really hope that SoW:BoB doen't have air-racing at all as any type of concern at it's release. perhaps later on, once the sim has been polished up. To concern itself with air racing would be a serious mistake on Maddox Games' part in my estimation. There is simply much more "to the point" work to do.

The primary goal here is to make an accurate WWII combat flight simulator. I regret to say that air racing in these aircraft is simply not a goal I'd like to see met. These aircraft are killers, not racers. losing sight of the goal: making an accurate WWII combat flight simulator is to make a serious judgemental mistake

Perhaps when the sim is out and so forth we can worry about incidental things like racing

slo_1_2_3
05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
People are going to dislike this post I think. You've been forewarned

You aren't going to have racing aircraft in BoB and you don't in Il2:FB or PF. The planes cannot be altered as to configuration, CoG, planform, powerplant, etc etc etc. They are all combat-ready

I understand you like this and it's fun but just because there are racing pylons in the FMB doesn't mean the sim had accurate air racing or even to my knowledge air racing in general as a concern. The pylons are "gimmes". Extras. Use 'em if you like, here you go

I really hope that SoW:BoB doen't have air-racing at all as any type of concern at it's release. perhaps later on, once the sim has been polished up. To concern itself with air racing would be a serious mistake on Maddox Games' part in my estimation. There is simply much more "to the point" work to do.

The primary goal here is to make an accurate WWII combat flight simulator. I regret to say that air racing in these aircraft is simply not a goal I'd like to see met. These aircraft are killers, not racers. losing sight of the goal: making an accurate WWII combat flight simulator is to make a serious judgemental mistake

Perhaps when the sim is out and so forth we can worry about incidental things like racing
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif And after bob I think they should make a ww1 combat flight sim that would be pretty cool in my oppinion And then maybe oleg could move on to korea and every other war that involved aircraft and then when hes done with that maybe he could start working ona airacing sim so in like 2015 get ready

WTE_Galway
05-16-2006, 11:59 PM
I remember air-racing servers with 10 or 15 of us online way back in the original IL2 well before pylons.

Pylons would be nice and probably easy to implement .. but you do not NEED pylons to make an air-racing map .. they just make it look pretty.

Tooz_69GIAP
05-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Air racing is very cool. I don't race much anymore, but I did for a while, and it was a hoot! It is also very useful in helping to learn how to handle your aircraft, and get the most out of it without wrecking it. It helps your situational awareness, your low flying skill, and your concentration.

Air racing in IL-2 is a great and fun way to spend your time if your a little tired of nothing but combat flying in dogfight servers. Sometimes you need to try something a little different.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Pylons are in PF, so I'd expect they put something similar in BoB, too. Just to show the quality of their engine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chuck_Older
05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry, I can't see the point in air racing using a sim that doesn't take into account the changes made to the aircraft to make them racers

Hologram3
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm sorry, I can't see the point in air racing using a sim that doesn't take into account the changes made to the aircraft to make them racers

Didn't you ever race your friends on your bike when you were a kid? Or did you skip it because you didn't have professional racing bikes?

The point is, you do it because it's fun.

Troll2k
05-18-2006, 07:29 AM
I have a dog fight map where you race float planes.

You race what is there,what you have.No changes needed.

Race the planes as they are.

Now if people start whining that the racing fms are off that is another subject.

I suspect that in Oleg's WWII RTS There will be tank racing.Also in Akella,s Knights Of The Sea(Oleg has a part in the plane's fms)I expect PT boat racing.

Chuck_Older
05-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Hologram3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

Didn't you ever race your friends on your bike when you were a kid? Or did you skip it because you didn't have professional racing bikes?

The point is, you do it because it's fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I never took my military weight bicycle and raced my friends with the weight of my guns and armor slowing me down. Never once. I suppose I was a neglected child

Retrofit
05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Racing with guns hot, now that I could get into...

Stackhouse25th
05-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Air Racing is dumb. You should have a landing and takeoff competition.

Who can land the best.

slo_1_2_3
05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
ITs not so much the air racing part about it, cause I have done a few races before and they are fun I always lost but they were still fun, but its the part when people want time taken away from making the stuff needed for combat to make racing related stuff.

russ.nl
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
@Chuck Older

I think you are taking this a little to serious. (no offence)
Besides that this is a Combat Flight Sim it is also, as a side affect, just a Flight Simulator.
I agree with you that there shouldn't be souped-up p-51's like the ones that are raced with today.
But little things like starting flags or pylons just for the people that like to use this game at its full spectrum.
I think that Oleg is including the su-26, not a combat plane but already moddeled, just for the joy of flying in his new flight engine with a little manoeuvreble plane. Nothing sireous just the joy of flying it self.

Chuck_Older
05-18-2006, 04:36 PM
That's fine but my standpoint is that I want a Combat Flight Sim. I bought one. It's called Il2 Sturmovik:Forgotten Battles

Since I bought a combat flight sim, it's only natural to my mind that the Combat Flight part of the sim be addressed in preference to a correlary benefit like air racing

If you ask me, something like FS9 would be a better racing sim. You can model classes of aircraft, make objects for racing, and in general have a much better and involved time. Frankly FS9 is a much better free-flight sim with dynamic weather and much more involved flight controls, which it would seem to me is what you really want, although I do prefer this sim's sensation of flight by far

Megile_
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I can understand Chuck's point... the air racing side shouldn't take up too much resources from the focus of the sim, as a ww2 simulator.

BUT.. I think the inclusion of the racers is a good move by Oleg... It demonstrates the flight model physics, and shows a wider applicability, rather than just tied to combat
While the sim is a ww2 sim, it is also a flight sim.

IMO its a smart move... and wont detract anything from the ww2 aspect of the sim.
Similarly the latest Jets in the 46 add on show Oleg could do a Korea Sim using this engine with little difficulty.

VW-IceFire
05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
That's fine but my standpoint is that I want a Combat Flight Sim. I bought one. It's called Il2 Sturmovik:Forgotten Battles

Since I bought a combat flight sim, it's only natural to my mind that the Combat Flight part of the sim be addressed in preference to a correlary benefit like air racing

If you ask me, something like FS9 would be a better racing sim. You can model classes of aircraft, make objects for racing, and in general have a much better and involved time. Frankly FS9 is a much better free-flight sim with dynamic weather and much more involved flight controls, which it would seem to me is what you really want, although I do prefer this sim's sensation of flight by far
Chuck...I think I know where your going with this but let me be devis advocate. The guy is meerly asking for what we already have (basically) in the IL-2 series. There are a few objects specifically set aside for in the FMB for air racing activities. It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't hurt me, and they have a ton of fun with it. Infact I have had a ton of fun airracing all sorts of aircraft types in the AirRacing server.

I don't expect that Oleg will somehow divert to catering to that bunch but what he's asking for are some simple objects so that they can maintain and grow what they already have. Customised aircraft and all that...no...I agree...this is a combat sim and we're focused on that...but they use it for this other purpose and it works quite well. Don't discount it. Its quite a bit of fun.

Chuck_Older
05-18-2006, 05:41 PM
That's fine, but I disagree that air racing should get any attention this late in the game for FB/PF, and I do not wish to see one iota of effort be put into air racing for the release of Storm of War: Battle of Britain

The idea is to stay focused here, if you ask me. Concentrate on combat flight simming for the release of the "best WWII combat flight sim"

A sure-fire way to compromise your project is to lose focus of your goal. I do not want even a hint of Maddox Games having lost focus for an instant

if I miss out on for example correct markings for a unit in the sim because somebody cut a corner to make time for air racing, I think that I have a much more legitmate complaint than somebody who is disappointed that air racing was neglected in the sim. A much more legitimate complaint.

I posted that my opinions on this wouldn't be popular and that's OK with me, I don't need to be Mr Popularity every time I have an opinion. I would be doing a dis-service to you if I just lied about it and said I didn't feel this way or that I feel it doesn't matter

I do not want the combat flight sim diluted. I want pure concentrate. Combat flight sim content, martial content and nothing else. they didn't run the Bendix Trphy or the Schneider Cup during the war. Folks will say the sim isn't just about the war.

I beg to differ. It's the sole point of the game. "Storm of War" is the series after all

goshikisen
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
The idea is to stay focused here, if you ask me. Concentrate on combat flight simming for the release of the "best WWII combat flight sim"

It appears that some of the focus has been lost already and the sim hasn't even been released yet. Su-26... why?

Viper2005_
05-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I suspect there are 2 reasons

i) To show off the fidelity of the flight modelling with extreme aerobatics; think lots of tumbling stuff, torque rolls and the like. Maybe as a result Oleg could license his technology for other purposes.

ii) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif without it there would be no Russian aeroplanes in BoB at all.

Personally I think that appealing to niche markets makes good sense. There aren't many air racing games out there, and the only aerobatics game I can think of is the original Flight Unlimited.

I agree that time can only be spent once, and that therefore this stuff takes away from making WWII aeroplanes, but on balance I think that it's a good thing in small doses. People have gone to great lengths recording aerobatic sequences in the current series, so catering for them makes good sense; a few awesome videos on google video will help sell the game.

People have gone to great efforts building race tracks and racing. Again, if it brings in more people it's a good thing.

Perhaps instead of thinking of what it takes away, it would be better to consider that these niches probably contribute the money which pays for some of the "on topic" features we enjoy, and that as such taking them away wouldn't necessarily result in more "on topic" content being available, since there might be fewer people employed to make it...

I think that it would be good for Oleg to add a glider to the game in order to show off his new weather model; if it's really good then glider pilots might join the party.

PS; I wonder what the Su-26's damage model is like... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

WTE_Galway
05-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
I think that it would be good for Oleg to add a glider to the game in order to show off his new weather model; if it's really good then glider pilots might join the party.

Like the world's most dangerous glider .. the Blohm & Voß Bv40 Assault Glider equipped with a 30mm mk108 and a pair of machine guns ? Designed to be towed above bomber formations by a G2 and released ? Now that would be fun.

-HH- Beebop
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I've been reading this thread with some interest as a ex-Air Racer.

I don't think that Oleg will be making anything specifically for air racing except maybe a few objects. No planes were introduced in IL-2/FB/AEP/PF that were "designed" for racing. I don't think he will do anything different for SoW/BoB. All that was added to the current version were Start/Finish pylons and some course markers.
(Which, by the way, make reasonable radio towers in the FMB, but then I will use just about anything to make something else that's not in the game http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif )

As Tooz said, air racing helps improve your flying skills and concentration. Most of the time everyone flew the same type so it became a matter of pilot skill. With a different plane every race you became exposed to a/c you might not normally fly. you also got an opportunity to learn the strengths and weaknesses of each type, in a fun environment. Very useful knowledge in combat.
During my tenure as an air racer my understanding of proper trim, complex engine management and patience was dramaticaly improved and as a result during squad nights, when I'm the flight leader, I have to throttle back to 45-50% so the rest of the squad can catch up and I don't end up being the only plane over the target. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
When offline I can catch up to my flight faster and am much more fuel effcient, very helpful when I get a fuel leak or two or three or four. I also learned how to control my a/c to the extent that even in a Sturmo I often avoid being shot down by the AI. (Human pilots are altogether another matter http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif )

Air Racing is a useful sub-genre to the flight sim IMO and as such should not be poo-pooed as a uesless pastime. Like scalable realism, it's yet another way to enjoy this wonderful sim Oleg has given us.

-HH-Quazi
05-19-2006, 08:35 PM
The inclusion of the same air racing objects that are already included in our current sim? You think including objects like these a detraction and would cause loss of focus? How? Just curious.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
05-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Air racing will be handled very nicely by the upcoming MS FlightSim X (release about Nov. 2006). They have payed a license to RedBull to allow their logos, inflatable pylon models, etc. So you can expect a fair bit of input in this area. The lead game designer (Paul Lange) is a keen air racing fan so I'm sure he's pushing for it;

http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/archive/2006/02/22/420329.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/archive/2006/02/26/420622.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/archive/2006/04/03/424020.aspx

Just how they will deal with cheating I'm not sure, but it should be fun.

-HH- Beebop
05-20-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Alexi_Alx_Anova:
...Just how they will deal with cheating I'm not sure, but it should be fun.
One of the beauties of IL-2 Racing...the game makes cheating nearly impossible and for those that find a way it soon becomes obvious. I've never known of an il2airracing event where the accusation of cheating ever came up.

Chuck_Older
05-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
The inclusion of the same air racing objects that are already included in our current sim? You think including objects like these a detraction and would cause loss of focus? How? Just curious.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh Oleg you should include this as well
Oleg, we would like this too
Hey Oleg here's an easy one to put in
Howsabout sliding this in, Oleg?
Oleg can we get that?
Oleg add this too
This is an easy one to add Oleg
OOh since we have this we need that, Oleg

I don't think it's a detraction from the sim at all. I think it's a distraction for Oleg and Maddox Games

Basically: don't F up this close to the finish line. Keep your ducks in a row, don't take your eyes off the prize

deepo_HP
05-20-2006, 10:31 PM
hi chuck,

I think it's a distraction for Oleg and Maddox Games

well, again then (as quazi asked, modified):
you think, including objects like the ones mentioned are a distraction for maddox games? how? just curious...

airracing in pacific fighters probably caused a loss of focus of some hours, is for sure an attraction and adds a lot to the passion of simulated flying (for those whose passion is not limited to simulated killing).

you show a bit of overreaction, not to say exaggeration http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chuck_Older
05-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by deepo_HP:
hi chuck,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I think it's a distraction for Oleg and Maddox Games

well, again then (as quazi asked, modified):
you think, including objects like the ones mentioned are a distraction for maddox games? how? just curious...

airracing in pacific fighters probably caused a loss of focus of some hours, is for sure an attraction and adds a lot to the passion of simulated flying (for those whose passion is not limited to simulated killing).

you show a bit of overreaction, not to say exaggeration http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice rollie eyes

Since you don't seem to understand what I mean by distraction, let me quote myself for you:

"Oh Oleg you should include this as well
Oleg, we would like this too
Hey Oleg here's an easy one to put in
Howsabout sliding this in, Oleg?
Oleg can we get that?
Oleg add this too
This is an easy one to add Oleg
OOh since we have this we need that, Oleg"

Time spent cannot be re-gained.

So should I take a cue from you know, and ask why you're trivialising my posts or ask you why you can't understand what a distraction is or why you can't understand why I gave examples of them? Surely you understand that added content when working under a deadline is a distraction from the goal. You cannot ask me to beleive that you actually feel that the addition of content tenuously related to combat flight simming is not a distraction or at best a potential distraction

I have posted that my opinions on this will not be popular, deepo. If you'd like to discuss this in a friendly manner, by all means do so. If you'd like to take the confrontational route, give it your best shot.

You mention simulated flying versus simulated killing

Interesting. I have already posted that this sim is simply not your best bet for air racing. The weather and complexity of engine and flight systems is lacking. Others have also done similar things in their replies

It's very curious to me that your position seems to be one of a laid back 'hey man, I just race I don't pretend to kill anything' holier than thou soapbox jockey. I suppose that's a fine slant for you to take, but we both know you didn't buy this sim to go air-racing.

I'm not saying air-racing isn't fun or a good pastime. If you look again, I'll say I just don't feel that it's the goal for the "Best WWII combat flight sim". I'm not real fond of being taken to task over every syllable I post. If my explanations aren't good enough for you, then I suppose you'll just have to go with brass tacks:

My opinion is that the premise of Storm of War:Battle of Britain should not be racing. At all. Not even 1%. Later on, racing could be addressed. Not in the first installment though

If you don't like it that's up to you but that's my opinion and no number of cute little rolled eyes emoticons or accustations of over-reacting will convince me otherwise. Do you see me screaming or telling other people what their opinions should be on the subject? No you don't. This is my opinion and I beleive this is the right one. Sorry to say, I don't mind if you think it's wrong, because a differing opinion doesn't convince me just because it's different. You don't give me one isngle reason to think differently than I do right now on the subject. All you can say is that air racing is an attraction to PF.

No it's not. It's not a selling point. It's an added bonus. The inclusion of a couple extra objects in the FMB doesn't make air racing an attraction for the fans of air racing, it's a bonus for the combat flight sim fans who like to air race. Can you honestly tell me what percentage of customers bought the sim because of air racing? Even as a guess?

-HH- Beebop
05-21-2006, 10:46 AM
OMG Chuck! Talk about overreacting.

"My opinion is that the premise of Storm of War:Battle of Britain should not be racing. At all. Not even 1%"
I've read all the posts and not one person has even suggested this. I can see it now,

Oleg: Hey guys, I've been reading the forums and they want Battle of Britain to be and Air Racing sim. Stop what you're doing and concentrate on that! You over there, working on the London Blitz, tear out some buildings. I understand in America they race in the cities. Make a wide enougn area for at least three planes side-by-side and make some hairpin turns. You, modeling objects, I want you to make some red/yellow/green lights to place around the course and while your at it some grandstands. Plane moddelers, take a Mk.I
Spitfire and an Emil and clip their wings and model some early '50s engines for them. While we're at it lets make a point system and make a Manufacturers Challenge instead of a Battle of France Campaign."

All the initial post asked is if there would be air racing and a few people mis-interpeted it. You on the oter hand have taken the ball and run with it. No one buys, or will buy SoW for air racing alone. But witihin weeks, maybe even days a couple of people will get together and see which plane/pilot is the fastest. It's human nature and has been so since at least the time of the Greeks.

Relax Chuck, take a pill, no one is going to turn Battle of Britain into a Forumla I Championship game.

By the way, I love WTCF, Do you have any plans on making any more AVG missions once the Manchuria add-on is released? . I think that would be great and would really look forward to it.

Chuck_Older
05-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I never, ever said that anyone did say that Beebop. I never said the sim would turn into air racing, and I never suggested that anyone even agree with me. This is getting tiring for me. I've posted so many times this is my opinion and that I don't want to see racing when BoB is released, but maybe afterwards in future installments it can be introduced

I am still working on WTCF v2.0
I hurt my back about 6 weeks ago and just in the last week or so can I sit down without excruciating pain. I pinched my sciatic nerve somehow and working on v2.0 has been a low low priority. I've mostly spent my free time laying down and reading

Now that I can sit here and actually do something, I've lost mental track of some things I was doing. I have so many unfinished missions that had rhyme or reason to them and now I have to figure out just how I had intended them to work, plus I have let my skinning skills, bad as they are, slip so I need to learn that again. It's daunting to look through the virtual pile of work i have done and have yet to do. I've begun to sift through it

I already had a couple map templates done, and all old missions updated with new template additions. I have a completely custom medals pack that's never been used before in the sim, featuring things like AVG wings and signed thanks from Madame Chiang, I have custom menu music working on my version here, and best of all- a Chinese campaign branch, no more US branch, with Chinese national insignia. I will be using my own AVG skins made from a customised template by Leadspitter, with more accurate numbers and paint schemes than the default ones, with custom shark mouths (two or three different ones in additon the the unique player's skin), and also some surprises plane and skins wise. Sparty had already sent me some great generic IJA bomber skins. Also included are some weird events that will be unexplained http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif More missions from the same places as in WTCF are featured, and a couple new locales, such as a behind-Japanese-lines hidden airstrip that the player will use for 4 or 5 missions after the retreat to China. I'm about half-done. The good part is that play testing will be minimal since I know most of this stuff works already

here's a taste of the new medals and awards (7 are Chinese or AVG oriented, one is a US medal). this is the Order of the National Treasure:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/opt.jpg

here's a small scene from playtesting an intercept on a heavily escorted group of "Ki-21s":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/tigerdown.jpg

here are some of Sparty's skins:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/ki48new.jpg

here's one of mine that is a frustrating WIP (Leadpitter's template which I have modified slightly):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/dammit.jpg

WIP on the player's aircraft (again LS template, modified). Planes will feature cmore correct numbers, as shown:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/FirstShark.jpg

lastly a small scene in rangoon's harbor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/newstuff.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread but this gets me more interested in starting up again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-HH- Beebop
05-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Chuck;

OK. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Sorry to hear about your back. Two of my squad members have similar situations so I am empathetic to what you are going through. Take it easy as I know you are. I hope you can achieve a complete recovery.
TI am so pleased to hear you are working on a sequel to WTCF. I'm on my second fly-through of the campaign, and doing MUCH better this time around I might add. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I've been enamored with the flying tigers since my childhood, initally becuase of the cool sharks mouth but as I got older (n o pun there, really) and learned more about them, I gained a great respect for what they accomplished. ten years ago which in Haight-Ashbury San franscisco I came across a pair of flying tiger pilot wings for only $5.00. the storekeeper had no idea what they had. A couple of years later I visited the Smithsonian and had the curators of the Air and space Museum verfiy their authenticity. they are now one of my most treasured belongings. I have no idea whose wings they were.
The new medal pack sounds wonderful as well as the Chinese campaign.
I still use a screenshot of the "default" skin for WTCF as a desktop.
Thanks for the info on v.2.0. I look forward to it's release. The original was worth the wait and I'm sure this one will be just as good, if not better.

Stay well. ~S~

EDIT: While typing this I for some reason didn't see the screenshots. (guess I didn't look http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif) WOW! those look fantastic. Rangoon harbor looks very good. Is that a stationary Emily and if so how did you get it to show a custon skin? I'm glad to see some of Sparty's excellent work being used. Your AVG skins are looking real good. They're BEAUTIFUL (even with the mapping flaw).

Thanks for the preview. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Chuck_Older
05-21-2006, 12:25 PM
the stationary plane is a trick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I used a non-static plane and put a skin on it. I made it so that it had zero fuel, and was about to take off , but in the opposite direction of the water, so this might only work with floatplanes. heck it might only work because of the crazy way I placed the plane. It actually starts the mission facing the other way and sorta bounces and bumps it's way around by the time the player gets there

Leadpitter shoud get about 90% of the credit for the AVG skins (the crashed one is a skin by macwan, nice skin, but it won't be used). All i did was choose some appropriate layers form LS template, and then I muted some areas of texture and blended some others, like on the wing leading edges. Then I added custom mouths and Angels. Skinning is not easy! That mapping error is kicking my a$$

My back's about 99% recoverd. I still get a twinge every now and again but it's literally for a split second and it's going away. My right calf still hurts, they tell me sciatica can affect you s if you pulled leg muscles. Weird. I got it while sitting at my desk writing a check. I'm not in the best shape of my life anymore but I go 155 at 5'7" at 34 years old with a 31" waist and pair of shoulders that belong on a linebacker, I have that deformed looking body builder back. I can (or should I say I used to) pick up V-8 engine blocks. I'm not carrying extra weight or anything, but I hurt my back in a chair. Really strange. I suppose this is the time of life in which I have to learn I can't do all the things I used to take for granted. I've always been really strong for my size and I just take it for granted I can do things still. My body just can't take moving 200 pound rear axles and such the way it could 10 years ago. I'm assuming something I did way back when is what I'm feeling the effects of http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif maybe the problem is I used my back too much and my brain too little

zaelu
05-21-2006, 04:42 PM
I see racing in SoW as a good help in whyning... for both posible parties.

Everyone could say now that they have a fried that have a friend that flyes Su-26 (maybe we could have some real Su-26 drivers) And they could say that the FM is bad in all planes bacause anomalities are seen even in Su-26.

Or Oleg could have another good reason to shut the mouth of whyners of FM by saying "beat this!" if the Su-26 will be perfect.

Anyway... I think I will lobby in to my squad to switch to Su-26 for "basic training".

And one final thought about "focusing". Lets try not to expect way too much from SoW BoB... we know that it is posible that the release will be rushed by external factors, we know that Oleg is polishing continously his products and will not stop doing this with SoW.

Everything should be fine... if not... it will be fixed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif in time. Lets have a beer.

PS... how long do we have to wait for an Extra 300 Oleg? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Liberator_13
05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Air Racing Forum (Click Here) (http://www.il2airracing.nu/modules/newbb/)

Air Racing Site (Click Here) (http://simairracing.com/)

Server on Hyperlobby:
Air__Racing

Passwords found on the schedule page of Air Racing Site.

About air racing on IL2:
Air Racing started with the original IL2. When racing pylons were suggested for the upcoming Forgotten Battles, we got them.

The original air racing league is still around today and is a HUGE success for all who do it and have done it in the past.

As a fellow air racer (Racing on Forgotten Battles for 4 years.) I do not want air racing to make a gigantic appearence in Battle of Britain, HOWEVER, the hundreds of air racers that race today would highly appreciate the pylons or maybe a few extra "inflatable" pylons to be added to the BOB sim. If not, we can adapt to make courses with various non-racing objects. Air racing will not die as long as us few stick around for it.

Many enjoy air racing as a break from the fighting. Some are hard core fans (Like me) that constantly fly IL2 for air racing. Even if you despise air racing in this sim, it would not hurt to include racing pylons from Forgotten Battles into the new Battle of Britain.

We try to race our planes in the "Reno style," with several planes in the air at one time. Maybe we could get inflatable pylons to start a "Redbull style" racing league with timed runs?

It is not a perfect or completely accurate way of a racing sim, but the sim does have the realistic flight model elements to make it enjoyable. We have seasonal pylon races with racer ranks and scores on the website. We also have "cross country style" navigational air races, which are very fun as well.

My main point is this... Oleg, you made a great descision to include the air racing pylons in Forgotten Battles. We would highly appreciate your effort to include them in Storm of War: Battle of Britain. If you cannot, we will still be there to race.

Air Racing was NOT neglected and we send you our many thanks for your support! The league is still strong today.

We are the few, and the fast.

EDIT: Can't seem to get my images to appear. Help please?

P.S. Try to keep this topic on the right topic. This is about Air Racing, not skins.

billy885
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Liberator you used the wrong URL, how does this work:

http://www.il2airracing.nu/uploads/photos/21.jpg

Yes, folks we are not asking for an "Air Racing" sims we are just asking for the material to put an "Air Racing" course on one of their beautiful maps.

Thanks a bunch for what you have done Oleg!

daFat1
05-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Wow, big reaction,

except you dear Chuck everyone loves to airrace, in fact, I know a couple of guys that BOUGHT the whole sim JUST TO RACE! The fm of FB is so good that all aspect of real airracing are really felt in the sim! Like the use of mixture, bladesettings, coolersettings, fuelweight, perfect trim, smooth flying and keeping speed up, etc.
One of the best parts is skinning and it created a whole bunch of artwork!
Alone the fact that Oleg and his crew added stuff like pylons and more ore less startnumbers shows that they care!
I did NOT ask for things like hullmodifications or engine tune up (additional turbos, NOX, high-compression pistons or cut down, flapless carbon-wings for Mustangs) but then when I think about it ! YES, YES PLEASE OLEG GIVE IT TO ME!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I think I freak out!

P.S. And if we happen to meet on a combat servér Chuck, ......try to catch me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Cheers

Rikupsoni
05-22-2006, 07:28 AM
So there are really much players "air racing" right now. Now, let's get it to the right scale. There are maybe 3 persons air racing right now, and let's see, maybe 50-100 true air racers that are waiting for SoW:BoB just to get some fancy arcade racing. Guess the amount of players who are waiting for real SoW:BoB.

Let them fly along their chimneys for all day, but please, do not include these arcade racings at the cost of real things.

Nakertaa

Chuck_Older
05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by daFat1:
Wow, big reaction,

except you dear Chuck everyone loves to airrace, in fact, I know a couple of guys that BOUGHT the whole sim JUST TO RACE! The fm of FB is so good that all aspect of real airracing are really felt in the sim! Like the use of mixture, bladesettings, coolersettings, fuelweight, perfect trim, smooth flying and keeping speed up, etc.
One of the best parts is skinning and it created a whole bunch of artwork!
Alone the fact that Oleg and his crew added stuff like pylons and more ore less startnumbers shows that they care!
I did NOT ask for things like hullmodifications or engine tune up (additional turbos, NOX, high-compression pistons or cut down, flapless carbon-wings for Mustangs) but then when I think about it ! YES, YES PLEASE OLEG GIVE IT TO ME!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I think I freak out!

P.S. And if we happen to meet on a combat servér Chuck, ......try to catch me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Cheers

I guess you don't understand that a fighter pilot's proper place is behind his opponent's fighter. If ever I race you, it will be with hot guns, be sure

daFat1
05-22-2006, 10:27 AM
So there are really much players "air racing" right now. Now, let's get it to the right scale. There are maybe 3 persons air racing right now, and let's see, maybe 50-100 true air racers that are waiting for SoW:BoB just to get some fancy arcade racing. Guess the amount of players who are waiting for real SoW:BoB.

Let them fly along their chimneys for all day, but please, do not include these arcade racings at the cost of real things.

Arcade means far away from reality, this sim doesn't turn into something else just because people race the planes!
You shoud visit the Airracing-server at racetime, what makes you think we are only three?

...and Chuck, when I visit the combat-servers my guns are loaded! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Cheers again

BaronUnderpants
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Uv all lost me? Who says the air racing side of IL2 take away important work from the "real" flight sim?

It doesnt, Dafat simply asked Oleg if he could include in BoB what PF allredy have ( Pylons and so on ) to make air racing possible.

FM, DM and what not has never ever been differant from the rest of the game. U race with what there is, all u do is choose "Empty" and the right amount of fuel and race away.

Real hard work and difficoult. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

From all the time iv flown air racing i cant remember a singel time where people asked for/ demanded a suped up P-51 racer ( thats more than i can say for the rest of the want this/ give me that community ). No one ever asked for or will ever ask for that since as far as i know most racers are primarely Combat flight sim players, air racing is as someone said a nice change of pace for most, nothing more.

But i guess there are always people who just HAVE to tell others whats right and whats is important and how to do things.

Oh, and i can put out a standing invitation to any or all who thinks Air Racing is arcade. Drop in and find out what i takes.

Ill bet 100$ right here that your first comment will be " there is something wrong with my plane " http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

P.S. Dam u Liberator..u asked for a suped up P-51...dam u. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Chuck_Older
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
I have lost you then herr Baron, because I never said it takes anything away

I've tried this several times and still you folks seem to not get it.

The sim is going to be ready soon. For sale. Don't you think, that at this late date, if your air racing stuff isn't already in, that it might be possible to imagine that there is time for say, 12 more things to get done, and get done right, for SOW:BoB

Okay. Now take for argument's sake, another element to be introduced. Now you have 13 things to get done in the same amount of time

SO don't you think you might just possibly be able to conceive of the fact that shoehorning something else, something extra, could be biting off too much to chew right now?

How many times do I have to post this? Racing shouldn't be a concern RIGHT NOW. Maybe in future installments and updates would be better to worry about it.

You guys are acting like I just kicked your dogs. I am not the one over-reacting in this discussion

Would you like me to post that I think air-rtacing is stupid? Because that's how you're treating me. Just say the word, I'll give you guys a reason to be mad at me, it won't be a bother.

Bayboos
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Chuck_Older wrote:

...The sim is going to be ready soon. For sale. Don't you think, that at this late date, if your air racing stuff isn't already in, that it might be possible to imagine that there is time for say, 12 more things to get done, and get done right, for SOW:BoB

Okay. Now take for argument's sake, another element to be introduced. Now you have 13 things to get done in the same amount of time

SO don't you think you might just possibly be able to conceive of the fact that shoehorning something else, something extra, could be biting off too much to chew right now?

How many times do I have to post this? Racing shouldn't be a concern RIGHT NOW. Maybe in future installments and updates would be better to worry about it....

---------

Chuck, are You sure, that this, what all of them are asking for, is as hard to do for Oleg's team, as (e.g.) adding new plane? Do You think that this will take as much time as "tuning up" FM or DM? Or something so complicated like dynamic weather? Are You ABSOLUTELY sure, that those race-things (pylons, ect.) are NOT in the game already?

If You can (honestly) say "NO" for ANY of those questions, then please, explain it to me CLEARLY, why are You (and You alone) trying to convince them to stop asking for it?

End of OT.

---------

Hello everyone! This is my third (as I remember) post on this forum. I am a virtual air racer - Miron (also a vitual aerobatic team member). First, I have to say that my english is not so good, so I could missunderstand some of Your previous posts (actually, I missed some of them, but it's not important).

I think We all (racers, fighters and aerobatic pilots) WANT THE SAME THING - The most realistic (combat) flight simulation. The only difference is, that We ask for one more thing (ground, static object - pylon), when You (I bet) wants, and expects, tons of them (ground targets, scenery ect.). So, where is the problem?

IL-2 Air Racing community is one of the oldest, the biggest and, in my opinion, the funniest "virtual pilots' society". There are tens of regular racers, some of them racing for few long years (Billy, Liberator), But we have hundrets of irregular racers racing just for fun, sometimes, to relax after (or before) dogfight/bomb raid.

Why don't listen to their voice?

So, my vote in the pool: "Do, or do not add racecourse pylons to FMB objects?" is: DEFINETLY YES.

---------

And again, Chuck (pls, no offence):

Have You ever been trying air racing in IL-2?
Have You ever been trying air racing in Flight Simulator?

I do.

FS is not a "realistic, accurate ect." free-flight simulator. It's basically AIR TRAFFIC simulator. Trying to race on this sim is just one, big mistake. It's just like... trying to sail across the ocean with kayak; like trying to cut the tree with a spoon; trying to run the "Quake" on "Deep Blue" (special chess computer) ect... Of course, You can do it, but it's simply WRONG TOOL for that.

That's all for now. See You on the race course. ALL of You.

P.S.

Lib, Billy, thx for putting our team planes' picture on this forum...

-----------------------------
"Racing's important to men, who do it well. When You are racing - it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8681/form12hz.th.jpg

-HH- Beebop
05-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Not to start anything new here... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif ...but has anyone watched the aerobatic teams videos? Talk about precision formation flying! It's awesome. Those pilots must be a terror in the skies with their ability to control their planes so precisely.
That must be the only reason Oleg included wingtip smoke, and in <span class="ev_code_RED">c</span> <span class="ev_code_GREEN">o</span> <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">l</span> <span class="ev_code_PINK">o</span> <span class="ev_code_RED">r</span>

Apparently Oleg thought there were other uses for his great combat simulator.

Liberator_13
05-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Image testing

http://www.il2airracing.nu/uploads/photos/182.jpg

http://www.il2airracing.nu/uploads/photos/6.jpg

http://www.il2airracing.nu/uploads/photos/161.jpg

http://www.il2airracing.nu/uploads/photos/166.jpg

Image testing

P.S.
Oh yeah I've seen lots of nice aerobatic videos. It's awesome... IL2 can be a great sim for both combat, aerobatics, and air racing alike. I've seen teams like EVAT, PAT, VFA, etc etc... Me and Miron are currently an air race/aerobatics team. This is the first this type of team has been created. We are only 3 members strong, but we plan to grow for the future. We still need some practice on the aerobatic side. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Obi_Kwiet
05-24-2006, 02:09 PM

Well, good for you! Guess what? Oleg herd your ill-informed which and decided to make BoB a combat sim, since from that screenshot it was obvious that it was just going to be just for racing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly, he's just using it to test the flight model. If you don't like it don't fly it, it's that simple.