PDA

View Full Version : We need a true "crew management" mod!

prowler3iii
08-09-2005, 11:02 PM
First, I love the sim.

I was on a US destroyer for 4 years...and the "micro-management" required to keep an SH3 crew working is...insane. I never heard my CO tell me "it's time for you to go to bed!"
I'd be willing to bet that a U-boat CO didn't have to babysit either. These are functions which are automatic, on a warship during normal operation. Now...when approaching a target for an attack...that("Battle Stations")would be different on a "boat". Even then, with the crew complements we are allowed they should "relieve the watch" on a regular basis, go get rest, food and any other requirements. The crew berthing seems much too small? If things are quiet the SH3 sub should reflect a minimum of crew, on duty, while others recuperate? Even if they "hot racked", there would have been enough berths for 1/2 the crew...while the others stood watch? I'm no U-boat expert, but I have a feeling that just "cruising" would not wear out the crew as much as it does in SH3.

Does anyone know what types of watches Uboat crews stood? How many duty sections? This all makes a huge difference in how "crew management" should be applied. I find it hard to believe (but may be wrong) that a Uboat crew normally stood 24/7 watches while attacking. Yes...I can see the "A team" being on watch...but some convoy attacks took days, and they had to rest sometime!

I may be completely off base with these assertions (assumptions??) but I don't see the present SH3 "crew management" as anything but a waste of the CO's time. All this was handled at a much lower level, written in stone, and not to be changed. During battle conditions, as in hunting a convoy, I can see where things would be different. The inabillity to rest major portions of the crew, when things are quiet, seems totally unrealistic to me.

The one other thing I would like to see is the old SH2 combo stopwatch...nothing better for firing at 3 targets and having all fish arrive simultaneously! I won't even attempt to comment on the accuracy of this...just the usefullness!!

I'm the darn Commanding Officer...I don't WANT to have to tell each individual crewman when to "rest", eat,or "SS&S". I'm way too busy trying to sink tonnage...and not get sunk!!

Does anyone see it this way?

3.JG51_Molders
08-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree. I believe it would be helpful if there were convienent buttons such as "Alarm", or "Battle Stations". Prehaps the AI could use the time in game and could be smart enough to go to bed or something like that.

panthercules
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_Molders:
I agree. I believe it would be helpful if there were convienent buttons such as "Alarm", or "Battle Stations".

There are convenient buttons like that on the crew management screen - for surface cruise, submerged attack etc - unfortunately, they should all be re-labeled as "Auto-CTD" 'cause they are totally too risky to use unless you just like living dangerously

CRSutton
08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
How bout a dang automanaging button for when cruising?

I hate having to constantly fiddle with the crew when runing on lower time compressions. Since when did a U boat captain have to tell his crew men when to knock off and go to bed?

You would think the computer could manage something like that. Just click the "normal cruise button" and let the computer rotate the watches as would normally happen on any ship.

Maj_Solo
08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by prowler3iii:
First, I love the sim.

I was on a US destroyer for 4 years...and the "micro-management" required to keep an SH3 crew working is...insane. I never heard my CO tell me "it's time for you to go to bed!"
I'd be willing to bet that a U-boat CO didn't have to babysit either. These are functions which are automatic, on a warship during normal operation. Now...when approaching a target for an attack...that("Battle Stations")would be different on a "boat". Even then, with the crew complements we are allowed they should "relieve the watch" on a regular basis, go get rest, food and any other requirements. The crew berthing seems much too small? If things are quiet the SH3 sub should reflect a minimum of crew, on duty, while others recuperate? Even if they "hot racked", there would have been enough berths for 1/2 the crew...while the others stood watch? I'm no U-boat expert, but I have a feeling that just "cruising" would not wear out the crew as much as it does in SH3.

Does anyone know what types of watches Uboat crews stood? How many duty sections? This all makes a huge difference in how "crew management" should be applied. I find it hard to believe (but may be wrong) that a Uboat crew normally stood 24/7 watches while attacking. Yes...I can see the "A team" being on watch...but some convoy attacks took days, and they had to rest sometime!

I may be completely off base with these assertions (assumptions??) but I don't see the present SH3 "crew management" as anything but a waste of the CO's time. All this was handled at a much lower level, written in stone, and not to be changed. During battle conditions, as in hunting a convoy, I can see where things would be different. The inabillity to rest major portions of the crew, when things are quiet, seems totally unrealistic to me.

The one other thing I would like to see is the old SH2 combo stopwatch...nothing better for firing at 3 targets and having all fish arrive simultaneously! I won't even attempt to comment on the accuracy of this...just the usefullness!!

I'm the darn Commanding Officer...I don't WANT to have to tell each individual crewman when to "rest", eat,or "SS&S". I'm way too busy trying to sink tonnage...and not get sunk!!

Does anyone see it this way?

actually, I just thought of an unnecessary improvement by the game developer, the guys in the F7 view could be animated like in the old game warcraft or civIII, they could walk around, climbing up and to make a watch shift change. Or work on the engine, just like an ant-box some life in there.

other than that I agree, there should be shifts and you have people assigned to certain stations that they usually work on, not only the P.O.s but also the sailors I guess are specialized. And when you organize the crew in shifts and duties the sim gets the answer to what sailor goes where when what happens.

I just hope they get this in SH4, if it remains as in SH3 I don't know what to say ...