PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Immersion and the animus interface.

Reveck
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi guys, im a huge AC fan, love the series, so I'm just going to get straight to the point. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Something that I noticed with the latest two assassins creed's that's been bugging me and that is differed from the first one was that there very often were sequences between the missions when the game would ask you if you really wanted to play the mission (memory) selected/verify your choice. Personally I really think this disturbed the flow of the game and ruined much of the immersion since you were constantly reminded that Desmond was in the animus, and somehow this makes you feel disconnected from what was happening in Ezios life where as in AC1 you did a couple of missions and then suddenly you were brought back to the "real world" (which gave a more effective feeling).
The less you are reminded that you are in the animus, the cooler it feels when you drop out and "se the other world" and this makes you focus more on the game where you are... and you wont feel this rush of completing the game and going forward in order to control what happens in both Desmonds and Ezios stories.

I know this is a small thing to complain about but I really think it is something that should be looked over. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that:
The less interactions with the animus interface, the more you, the player, gets sucked in to the game/the world and the story, and with video games, as in most entertainment, immersion is key if you want people to truly enjoy the experience and absorb all of what the game has to offer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dan

SixKeys
06-21-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't know how they could fix this really, apart from a quicksave feature so you can continue from where you left off. There are times when I go to a mission just to see what it's all about, like talking to a thief and find out he wants to race. If I don't feel like doing the race right now, I prefer having the option to refuse.

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by SixKeys:
If I don't feel like doing the race right now, I prefer having the option to refuse.
I second that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Actualy, I would much rather have a manual load/save system like every other open world game.

Calvarok
06-21-2011, 08:57 PM
AC1's interface popping up was far more annoying.

The point of these button prompts is that you've triggered a mission somehow, and the animus is noting that you're starting a new memory. It's a machine, it keeps track of things like that. If there were no prompts, you wouldn't know the name of the memory or even how memories were separated, as well as not being able to stop the story from moving and go mess around.

Also, manual saving makes my soul die.

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
AC1's interface popping up was far more annoying.

The point of these button prompts is that you've triggered a mission somehow, and the animus is noting that you're starting a new memory. It's a machine, it keeps track of things like that. If there were no prompts, you wouldn't know the name of the memory or even how memories were separated, as well as not being able to stop the story from moving and go mess around.
I have to agree with you on this.

Also, manual saving makes my soul die.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Try playing a Fallout game or Final Fantasy 7/8 w/o a manual save system.

Calvarok
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
How is a manual saving system better than an autosave one? If the game makes you screwed forever or miss out on content if you didn't save before playing a mission, then they'd just have to design the game so it's NOT totally evil.

There is really no point at all in manual saves if you can just replay all the missions from the pause screen, and all equipment/stats can be changed around freely.

Manual saving seems like such an outdated feature to me. It makes whatever game I'm playing seem years older.

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, in AC it doesn't really matter, so long as they get rid of 100% sync or at least fix the checkpoint system. But the save system is an easy thing to add, and adding it DOES NOT remove the auto save feature and you don't HAVE to use it. When loading, one can choose to load the autosave or a save they made. A manual save system NEVER hurts.

Anyway, you have obviously have never played Fallout, or any open world RPG for that matter.

CRUDFACE
06-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
Yes, in AC it doesn't really matter, so long as they get rid of 100% sync or at least fix the checkpoint system. But the save system is an easy thing to add, and adding it DOES NOT remove the auto save feature and you don't HAVE to use it. When loading, one can choose to load the autosave or a save they made. A manual save system NEVER hurts.

Anyway, you have obviously have never played Fallout, or any open world RPG for that matter.

Like how when you want to play a specific part of the game, you have to turn off the autosave feature, then turn it back on later to load anything.

And a big change if they let us do the 100% sync thing if we can choose to redo it from where or near where we messed up...like going back to a checkpoint and making them useful.

Jakob4242
06-22-2011, 02:22 AM
How is a manual saving system better than an autosave one? If the game makes you screwed forever or miss out on content if you didn't save before playing a mission, then they'd just have to design the game so it's NOT totally evil.

There is really no point at all in manual saves if you can just replay all the missions from the pause screen, and all equipment/stats can be changed around freely.

Manual saving seems like such an outdated feature to me. It makes whatever game I'm playing seem years older.

With some open world games manual can be a life saver. You the player create a file that you can access if anything goes wrong; like the game crashing.

Although I do feel Ubisoft has done a great job with auto-saving in all ACs. Even with the numerous times Brotherhood has frozen up on me, I never lost much than say the current mission. But having the option to manual save would be an added benefit, at least to anyone who wishes to use this feature.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
As I have said before, a manual save system isn't really necessary for AC because you never actualy have to make any choices. The only choice you ever have to make is in what order you play side missions. That being said, A manual save system NEVER hurts. If you don't like it, don't use it, use the auto save.

SupremeCaptain
06-22-2011, 08:07 AM
I hate that "Accept" and "Decline" thing. Not because of the TC's reasons, but because if you decline it, the game has to re-load because the game can't handle rejection. So annoying.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Yea I agree, that's was quite annoying

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I HAVE played open-world RPGs, and manual saves are my least favorite part of it. I don't like games that are designed so manual saving is nessecary. The game crashing should not matter, I should be able to reload it and have all the progress completed that I had before. Maybe kicked out of whatever mission I was doing, but that's not a big deal. I understand that games that use manual saves do so because they DO have problems if they just use autosaves, but I really just want them fixed so they don't.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
It's not just crashing and problems. It's also a myriad of other things such as making a decision and wanting to change that decision for reasons that show up later. Or realising that because I missed that event I can't get this cool weapon, things like that. I'd say you're being foolish and agumentative for the sake of argument.

Oh, and just so you know, in lue of your comments, I don't believe you when you say

I HAVE played open-world RPGs

Especialy since you don't HAVE to use the manual saves. Most games nowadays have both manual and auto.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
It's not just crashing and problems. It's also a myriad of other things such as making a decision and wanting to change that decision for reasons that show up later. Or realising that because I missed that event I can't get this cool weapon, things like that. I'd say you're being foolish and agumentative for the sake of argument.

Oh, and just so you know, in lue of your comments, I don't believe you when you say
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I HAVE played open-world RPGs

Especialy since you don't HAVE to use the manual saves. Most games nowadays have both manual and auto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've played open-world rpgs that require manual saves, and that's always annoyed me. A lot of games have the option of autosaves, which I really like.

I know that most modern games have the option, but I don't really feel like the option adds anything to them, and I just prefer autosaves. It's not nessecary in a game like AC, where all content can be replayed.

EmmaBemma
06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I've played open-world rpgs that require manual saves, and that's always annoyed me. A lot of games have the option of autosaves, which I really like.

I know that most modern games have the option, but I don't really feel like the option adds anything to them, and I just prefer autosaves. It's not nessecary in a game like AC, where all content can be replayed.
Just because you don't feel it adds anything, doesn't mean other people feel the same way. I don't see why it would be an issue for you since it would be completely optional, as long as it does not end up messing up the current system. Though, actually I kind of agree that a manual save system is not hugely needed. It would be nice to go back to sections of the memory if you mess up, rather than having to replay the whole thing... though perhaps that takes away some of the challenge in a way.

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Just because you don't feel it adds anything, doesn't mean other people feel the same way. I don't see why it would be an issue for you since it would be completely optional, as long as it does not end up messing up the current system. Though, actually I kind of agree that a manual save system is not hugely needed. It would be nice to go back to sections of the memory if you mess up, rather than having to replay the whole thing... though perhaps that takes away some of the challenge in a way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it does take some of the challenge away, and not really for any reason. If you have manual save, completing full synch isn't really as much of a challenge any more.

Anyways, I doubt that they'll add manual saving, since they're specifically making the games able to be played in their entirety without having to save. Missions in AC can be repeated. Missions in something like Red Dead can't unless you save beforehand and quit.

And I think that not being able to replay missions is the only feature that makes manual saves nessecary.

So since you can in AC, there's not any point for it, in my mind.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
You think having to start a mission from the beginning when you die/lose sync makes it a challenge? No, it makes it a pian in the ***. You and I have very different definitions of the word challenge my friend.

Ok maybe you're right in the case of AC in that you could just move 2ft save, move 2ft save (which is actualy necessary at times when playing Fallout) but again, it would be completely optional. I've never really disputed the fact that a save system would be mostly useless in AC but if they bring back 100% sync then there needs to be something. Preferably a working checkpoint system. The reason I brought up a save system for AC is because, 1: if the Devs didn't want to go thru the hassle of adding a solid checkpoint system (for whatever reason http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) They could just allow us to save our game. and 2: what game doesn't let you save? I mean, other than AC.

And I think that not being able to replay missions is the only feature that makes manual saves nessecary.
Game freezes and chrashes, frame rate drops, among a myriad of other reasons. Once again though, not really a prob with AC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Well, at least for me, I'm sure that dlfe3 guy would disagree http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I guess. Still, the full synch problem could be solved by allowing you to start from the next check point. I think games should add features that remove the need for manual saves, instead of just going back to using them.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
In a perfect world I suppose. Still it's redundancy. It's kinda like, why should we keep candles in the house or have a portable generator if we have elctricity?

To quote the epic movie that we all know and love, Forest Gump.

Guy: "Wooohh, you just stepped in a huge pile of dog ****."
Forest: "It happens."
Guy: "What, ****?"
Forest: "Sometimes."

In short, **** happens http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I think keeping manual saves is like keeping the candle instead of electricity. From your post it sounded like you thought the opposite thing.

MCRMJ
06-23-2011, 01:00 AM
A manual save feature alongside the autosave would be good. I can't see what harm it would do, those that don't like it wouldn't have to use it.

It would have been great in Brotherhood, the main reason I can think of is for leaving the Animus. Once you get to a specific point, you can't do this (in addition to being 'forced' along certain sequences nearer the end of the game).

I know people are likely to play through the game multiple times regardless, but an option to cut that out for those that don't would be nice.

ProletariatPleb
06-23-2011, 01:24 AM
How about both being there, the game autosaves as usual and we have an option to save at some point?

I really hated when Full Sync failed so I usually restarted the memory, problem is...I have to play from the start even tho the game says there is a CHECKPOINT, so what's the point if I can't RESTART FROM CHECKPOINT and have to play all the other parts I didn't do mistakes in?

Secondly, Alex mentioned that AC:R is going to be how the player wants to play, so I hope and wish there is no 100% sync feature issue...and if there is, a RESTART FROM CHECKPOINT option be given.

Blind2Society
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
What ps3 game does anyone know of that has a manual save system but no autosave? I don't know of any. Of course I haven't played every ps3 game but I doubt there are many if any.

At this point I think the manual save debate is over. It should just be a given that all games should have both.

iN3krO
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
What ps3 game does anyone know of that has a manual save system but no autosave? I don't know of any. Of course I haven't played every ps3 game but I doubt there are many if any.

At this point I think the manual save debate is over. It should just be a given that all games should have both.

God of War... both 1, 2 and 3.. and it's still my favourite franchise, than followed by crash bandicoot (it's from psx and got manual save only too) and than Assassin's Creed (poor gameplay value in my point of view)...

Blind2Society
06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
God of war III was the only one made for the ps3 and to be honest, I didn't realise that game didn't have autosave. Guess I simply forgot about it due to the falling out, so to speak, between me and linear games.

iN3krO
06-23-2011, 04:25 PM
God of war III was the only one made for the ps3 and to be honest, I didn't realise that game didn't have autosave. Guess I simply forgot about it due to the falling out, so to speak, between me and linear games.

Even thought is linear (and i don't want a linear assasin's creed), it was a great game, however, casual gamers won't understand half of the story cuz they don't know much about greek mythology...

Also, if u didn't know, GoW and GoW II were ported to Ps3 with enhanced graphics... I don't have play3 but passed all the games on my friend's ps3 :P (also got gow1 and gow2 for ps2)...

Also, even thought it's a linear game, there are puzzling parts in GoW1 and GoW2 and challenging ones too (Very Hard Mode o.o) <- the trophy to beat the game is for Hard mode cuz Sony knew there would be few ppl able to do it at very hard (either me did it :P)

Blind2Society
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Back in the ps2 days I loved both GOW and GOWII but games like AC, Infamous, Fallout(s) and RDR have spoiled me. I assumed I would like GOWIII because I liked the first two. I was wrong. Good thing I got it used as I beat it within 7 days and got a full refund. Visually it was great but I now prefer games that make me think rather than just mash buttons.

Again I'm not saying it was a bad game, I just don't like that linear style anymore, I get bored.

I do know that they were ported but that doesn't count as they were not made for the ps3. I said ps3 specifically because not all that long ago manual saving only was common.

As for difficulty, what makes hard mode hard in those types of games is simply relentless enemies. Meaning you simply have to stand there and block way too often. I'd rather my difficulty come from having to think and strategise. For example, AC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keighvin
06-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey daniel, just wondering why you would assume "casual" gamers would not know about Greek mythology. You seem to be jumping to a conclusion there based on a general dislike of "casual" gamers.