PDA

View Full Version : p-61 Blackwidow?

JackoftheNight
01-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I have seen lots of 3rd party aircraft emerging from the community... Mabey if we made some noise someone could put this twin tailed night devil into the game....? (The p-61 was a three man night fighter/bomber that used a design similar to the p-38) It also had a six barrelled remote gun turret on the top in addition to a medium sized bomb load and other foward fireing weapons,)
A link to the widow's web.....
http://www.maam.org/p61/p61cont.html

Slingn
01-26-2005, 03:41 PM
exactly which 3rd party community aircraft are those?

JackoftheNight
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
WEll.....the PF website has screenshots of aircraft that may be added into the game made by people not working for the dev_team...mabey their is still hope for better modding tools?

tralkpha
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
i believe that a p-61 project was recently cancelled due to the possible copyright situation http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
01-26-2005, 04:10 PM
The P-61 was always tenuous at best but the latest trademark controversy seems to have sounded the final death nell for the plane. Unfortunately, with the development team moving towards BOB there is less and less time to get the third part models into the game and it would seem that there isn't really a lot of time to resolve the trademark problems and finish a P-61 model and then include it in the game.

JaggedRaven
01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
The P-61 had four .50 caliber machine guns in a dorsally mounted turret which could be slaved between the rear gunner position and forward observer position. The turret, however, caused buffeting problems when not in the forward firing position and many of the mid production (B's?)models were not fitted with the turret. On later models the turret was permanently fixed forward to compliment the four 20mm cannons on all models. In addition the P-61 carried an external bombload that was heavier than most fighters. Gotta love that spider's sting!

GT182
01-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Just before Christmas I was at MAAM and got in to see how the P61 is coming along. As a member you can get up closer than the public is allowed to. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

She's looking great and there's been much progress made... she's really looking like a P61 now. Couldn't take any pictures, but if you attend this June you'll get a glimpse of her with even more repairs than I saw. I might add that she is being worked on full time by some very talented people.

Tooz_69GIAP
01-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Oleg or Ilya said a few months ago that the P-61 wouldn't be modelled due to the game engine not being able to simulate radar.

It was suggested that it may be made AI, but considering that the P-61 was a Northrop creation, I severely doubt ever seeing it in this line of sims.

joberrick
01-27-2005, 09:46 AM
WAs lockheed on the problem list? Cause they made a few planes that we could potentialy have such as the harpoon and vetura.

Waldo.Pepper
01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
It is a blow that I shall never fully recover from.

Stiglr
01-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, seeing as night and all its artifacts (radar, visibility, exhaust flames, etc.) haven't been fully fleshed out at all, I'm glad we won't be seeing this plane. It'd just be an excuse for people to wander around with a big automated turret (probably manned by super-sniper AI), getting kills they didn't earn by pulling the trigger themselves.

PlaneEater
01-27-2005, 06:07 PM
And once again, Stiglr finds a way to make an *** out of himself in a perfectly civil thread.

I was modeling the P-61B for incorporation as AI. It was cancelled when the copyright issues arose.

Stiglr
01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PlaneEater:
And once again, Stiglr finds a way to make an *** out of himself in a perfectly civil thread.

I was modeling the P-61B for incorporation as AI. It was cancelled when the copyright issues arose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, you doubt people have (ab)used aircraft in this fashion before? Hmm???

Or is it the pretty well grounded assumption that night (in which the Black Widow is designed to be used) has NOT been fully modelled correctly, thus making a night specialty fighter without radar, and without a realistic nighttime environment to hunt in, an exercise in arcadeism?

What exactly did you take issue with?

ElAurens
01-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Here is a news flash...

The P-61 was used in the day as well... And most had the dorsal turret removed, or at the very least fixed in a forward firing orientation.

This is a sad loss...

Stiglr
01-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah, a lot of planes were used piecemeal to do all kinds of odds and sods jobs....

This plane is an afterthought, an asterisk, a curiosity. Dozens of more representative planes should appear before this one.

x__CRASH__x
01-28-2005, 12:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
This plane is an afterthought, an asterisk, a curiosity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Much like you. Does anyone actually listen to you?

Diablo310th
01-28-2005, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
Here is a news flash...

The P-61 was used in the day as well... And most had the dorsal turret removed, or at the very least fixed in a forward firing orientation.

This is a sad loss... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I was really looking forward to flying the 61. The turret was removed at one time and re-installed fixed forward later. The 418th flew day missions called "Squints". The 61 had an external bomb load that could be used for harrassment missions. It's a shame that we can't ahve it..even to fly day missions with.

I'm going to be running a server at times on hyper for night missions if anyone is interested in joining. Skin d/l will be turned on so custom camo. can be used.

JackoftheNight
01-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Does any one else find that the copywrite issue on 60 year old military aircraft is just silly? What happens if the aircraft is in a video game.....is the company afraid that if it is rendered in a game that the military wont buy it any more.....O Wait it's a 60 year old AIRCRAFT.........!

Waldo.Pepper
01-28-2005, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackoftheNight:
Does any one else find that the copywrite issue on 60 year old military aircraft is just silly? What happens if the aircraft is in a video game.....is the company afraid that if it is rendered in a game that the military wont buy it any more.....O Wait it's a 60 year old AIRCRAFT.........! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buddy you are preaching to the converted.

Lucky_Skunk
01-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, if I can't have the P-61, the A-20 is a good concession.

JackoftheNight
01-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I GOT IT!!!!! I know why the p-61 is not in the game.....Years ago when I was probably 10 or 11 I tried to build a model of the p-61 the only problem is that the peices did not fit togeather.....this must mean that when oleg and his team tried to model the aircraft that they could not get it to go togeather....even with the help of rubber bands.....crazy glue....and help from both friends and neibors.....simply put......it is very hard to build a model of the p-61 either with plastic and glue or a computer

Treetop64
01-28-2005, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackoftheNight:
I GOT IT!!!!! I know why the p-61 is not in the game.....Years ago when I was probably 10 or 11 I tried to build a model of the p-61 the only problem is that the peices did not fit togeather.....this must mean that when oleg and his team tried to model the aircraft that they could not get it to go togeather....even with the help of rubber bands.....crazy glue....and help from both friends and neibors.....simply put......it is very hard to build a model of the p-61 either with plastic and glue or a computer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm...yeah. Okay. Whatever... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Krt_Bong
01-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Uh, I too built a couple plastic models of the P-61 made by Monogram/Revell and have seen a 12 foot R/C flying model of the A/C as well so where's the copyright police on that? It doesn't hold any water to think that Northrop/Grumman still has any copyright infringement on the image of Iconic aircraft from sixty years ago, there are B-17's and B-29's in the game and Boeings' not griping about their cut are they?

Jungmann
01-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Noobish suggestion. If we all want a twin-engined, rader-equipped night fighter so badly (I know I do), how about the P-70, the night fighter version of the A-20 already in the game? IIRK, it carried early versions of the Brit 5cm radar, was used for night fighter training in Florida for the early P-61 crews, and I think a squadron or so got shipped to the SoWestPac in 1943 and saw combat before the P-61s arrived.

Or: early in-the-field mods of P-38Js in the game with intercept radar and an operator piggy-back behind the pilot. The Black Widow book I read, some of the early night-fighter pilots preferred it in combat to the P-61, since it had much better climb and overall performance.

So all that would be left would be to figure out radar and the rest of that impossible s**t.

Cheers,