PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Climb Speeds?

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2004, 03:59 PM
In my limited understanding of aerodynamics, I believe there is a range of optimal airspeeds at which a given aircraft can manage it's best sustained climb rate where it is most efficiently converting excess engine power into altitude.

Can anyone provide some specific information for aircraft in IL2 as to what airspeeds and climb rates are good to use when you're trying to gain a lot of altitude as rapidly as possible?

I would imagine that this can be heavily affected by altitude too... So if you have that information as well, perhaps provide data for low, medium and high altitudes?

Has anyone by chance put together performance charts like this for the aircraft in IL2?

Anyway, here are the main aircraft I am interested in right now (all variants if possible):

BF109
FW190
Yak9
Mig3
IL2

I'm sure other people would be interested in data for aircraft from FB and PF as well.

Any data might be helpful, even if you just have ballpark numbers that you go by (assuming you are specifically concerned about sustained climb rates in the game).

Thanks!

WTE_Snowhawk
10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
You're entirely correct, this speed is referred to as having the "Best lift to drag ratio", commonly known as best glide speed, or BROC (best rate of climb). As for what they are exactly, the only way to find out is in that particular aircraft's flight manual. Try some internet research. The one thing I liked about CFS3 was that they provided best glide and approach speeds for each type.
I generally climb at about 150mph, somewhere around 240kph

PBNA-Boosher
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
For Yaks and P-40's, best climb speed runs between 230 and 240 KPH, I believe. That's what I use anyway.

LStarosta
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
IAS or TAS?

k5054
10-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Best rate is just above minimum drag speed usually, depending on the prop characteristics (all this doesn't apply to jets or rockets).

It is usually around 250kph IAS. I checked my RAF pilots notes and found a range of 140mph, Hurricane to 185 mph Tempest, all the others were in between, 160 being typical. 140 is 225kph, 185mph is 300kph. So, around 250-270kph but more for a higher wing loading or carrying ordnance. If you are a little on the high side you'll keep more energy but the rate of climb won't be much worse.
Most of the pilots notes require dropping the IAS gradually as the height increases over about 20,000ft or so.

WTE_Galway
10-21-2004, 05:29 PM
i have found the 109's climb better around 300 kmh

Zen--
10-21-2004, 06:13 PM
FW190D9-44 does very well between 240-280km/h indicated in cockpit, 22-26m/s depending on altitude.

geetarman
10-21-2004, 06:43 PM
P-38 - 160 to 180 mph

VW-IceFire
10-21-2004, 09:33 PM
FW190A's I tend to climb at 380-400kph IAS. Thats your best sustained climb-speed ratio. When you do that...other contemporary fighters (Yak's, 39's, Lagg's) tend to have trouble keeping with you for altitude or speed (one or the other).

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the data points guys... keep em coming!

Tully__
10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
IAS or TAS? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stall speed, best rate of climb, best angle of climb, approach and Vne are specified in IAS. Only outright performance (max sustained speed @ altitude etc) figures are specified in TAS.

Cajun76
10-21-2004, 10:12 PM
http://www.checksix-fr.com/

Look for IL2 Compare under Utilities. Even in french, it ought to be recognizible.

Even though the Jug is listed as having the best climb at about 275 TAS, if you get caught at this speed your dead. I set my trim for no yaw or roll, and let her climb naturally. This lets you climb at a steady pace while maintaining enough forward speed to enter a fight with acceptable energy. Just my 0.02 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

WTE_Galway
10-21-2004, 10:31 PM
one of the things that gets missed in this numbers game is that in a dogfight its not your best climb speed/turn speed/whatever that actually matters .. its what speed gives the best adantage over your current enemy

after all who cares if the Pxx turns/climbs best at 278.99567 kph if the bogie you are engaging is even better at that speed

more often to dictate the terms in a dogfight what matters the most is what is the ENEMIES worst climb/turn etc speed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cajun76
10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Exactly Galway. Using a Jug vs. a Zero example: Go vertical near a Zero, and be prepared to be peppered with 20mm shells. But a high speed shallow climb will lose him easily, as he's slower, and can't climb well at high speed. You can dictate the fight using the high speed shallow climb advantage the Jug posses over the Zero.

However, I think the original poster was merely asking for the best speed/climb to get to fighting altitude. I agree with you, Galway. While useful, best climb speed may not be possible unless there are friendlies with higher alt covering the climb. Having 750 meters advantage on an opponent does little good if your sitting still and he is traveling fast.