PDA

View Full Version : Mat Manager question.

major_setback
09-23-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm instaling Mat Manager for the first time.
I have a question.

In Skycat's guide to installing Mat Manager it states
1) <span class="ev_code_PINK">Copy your 1946 game's "il2fb.exe" and rename the copy to "il2.exe." </span>(You should now have both versions in your game's main folder. Don't simply rename il2fb.exe or else Hyperlobby and other utilities won't work.)"

I don't have files named with the extension .exe, though I think the il2fb is the file Skycat refers to in his guide. Here's the problem - there is one file named il2fb, and also one ALREADY named il2. If i rename the first one it will overwrite the second (il2). What should I re-name il2fb to?

Why aren't they named with the suffix .exe in my version of the game?

Also: the 'il2' file is 11kb (clicking on 'properties' shows that the file type is 'application'), the 'il2fb' file is 3.65 MB, the is also a file 'il2fb_new' which is 17.5 MB (this is I think an old experemental .exe file, but it seems rather large).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Matq1.jpg

bigbossmalone
09-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi major
I'm speaking from memory here (slghtly leaky as it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif)
I think that you can ignore that comment about renaming the il2 exe, it was originally necessary, but not needed for 1946 version.
You just need to 'point' MAT manager to the correct exe file when you first set it up.
Give it a go, see what happens, you won't cause any problems if not renaming anything.
I'm pretty sure on this one, but do stand under correction.
Oh, the reason you're not seeing the file suffixes is that you need to enable/disable diplay known file extensions in your folder - Under Tools - Folder Options - View tab.
Well done on going for MAT manager! Once you use it, there's just no way you'd ever want to play with the default markings again!
Oh, do yuorself a favor and d/l and install the utility IL2 Manager - I think the latest version is 5?? One of the many nifty features of this app is that it will automatically rename and convert your grabXXX.tga screenshots into more user-friendly jpeg files. It also prevents overwriting of screenshot files, as in the default setup, everytime you load IL2 and take screenshots, it automatically uses the same naming standard, starting with grab0001.tga every time. Hence your old screenshots, unless you rename them yourself, will be overwritten with the new ones each time.
IL2 Manager does away with this problem,and has loads of other cool features.
Note: All credit for the use of the letter 'a' in my post must go to major_setback. I'm sure he won't mind!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

major_setback
09-23-2007, 07:25 AM
tA http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'll try that. I should have done it years ago, butnever got around to it.
I've got a few spare hours on my hands this week though and I'm trying to use them to optimize the sim as best I can.

Skycat_2
09-23-2007, 02:09 PM
You are correct, the icon with the Corsair flying at you is the file I meant to copy and rename.

I don't know what that il2_new file is. I don't have one. ??? Is it perhaps a 'No DVD' executable that was added to later pressings of the game? The original European versions require the DVD to be in the drive to play but the later US versions do not.

ytareh
09-23-2007, 02:20 PM
After a couple of false starts I finally got this working recently.It REALLY improves the appearance of the game.The trick is to install and then uninstall (using Windows Control Panel Add or Remove Programs-which will leave the 'skins' behind) each of the 4-6 (?) updates one at a time.It takes a while and a lot of care but its well worth it!

major_setback
09-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
You are correct, the icon with the Corsair flying at you is the file I meant to copy and rename.

I don't know what that il2_new file is. I don't have one. ??? Is it perhaps a 'No DVD' executable that was added to later pressings of the game? The original European versions require the DVD to be in the drive to play but the later US versions do not.

No, I don't think so. The 'il2fb_new' file was contained in the 3.01m patch, an explanation of this can be found in the 3.01m readme - quote:
"In this version we are also offering the players to test a new method of running the game. This new method should increase the game's performance. Both the old and the new methods are available at any time, and are fully compatible online.
If you want to test this new method, install PF_patch301.exe (PF_patch301m.exe) first. After the installation, run PF_patch301_new.exe (PF_patch301m_new.exe). After that, run the pf_new.exe (il2fb_new.exe) executable in your PF game folder." [Original brackets].

major_setback
09-24-2007, 06:35 AM
My original question still remains:
I already have a file called il2.exe. in my main game folder. Should I write over this file?

There is also an FB icon on my desktop marked 'il2', this has a size of 3,65 MB, when I click on it my hard drive starts up as if it's going to start something (and a small disc icon appears as if searching for the right disc and the light on my DVD drive flickers), though nothing happens.
I think the icon my have ben created when I installed the switch files to enable switching betwwen different versions of the game.

bigbossmalone
09-24-2007, 09:02 AM
well major
I don't know much about the version switch thing, that may be an issue, but why don't you just backup the original exe and then overwrite the old one and see what happens? If it's not right, then just replace it with your backup file? I've had mine going for awhile, and can't quite recall the exact procedure. Maybe after a pint or two it'll come back to me... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Don_X
09-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Why aren't they named with the suffix .exe in my version of the game?

In Windows explorer/Tools/View

uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

major_setback
09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the advice on the extensions. That's at least one extension taken care of! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yesterday evening was no fun, I had missed adding the relevant line in the config file, and none of the markings were present. Hours of trying and no luck.
Looks very much better now with the new markings.