PDA

View Full Version : send patrol report

wvannes
04-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Until now, I always faithfully send my patrol report after a kill: the negative is of course, that it gives my position away.
My question is: is this "awarded" bij the game (may be by renown) or am I a bit stupid by doiing this?

All the best,

wvannes

cueceleches
04-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Ooops...I never thought of that. Very good question. Does the sim model detection from outcoming radio messages??? Cauze I also report after every sinking.

Mylo42
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I report every sinking as well. Whether or not it makes any difference in the game, I don't really care. I'm just trying to simulate being a U-Boat Cpt.

Mylo42
04-15-2005, 10:05 AM
ohh...sorry, and to answer your question.. I don't know if it makes a difference. (I guess that doesn't really help you much).

wvannes
04-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, but I am that faithfull that I do it right after the sinking and am therfore just giving my exact! position away; maybe this is not wise.
Further I can imagine, that the real captains did this therefore about some time (maybe 1 day) later and the BDU was also content http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

regards

wvannes

U-505-1971
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
First I send a contact report then I send a report after I sink her. I report every contact I see because that is what a Skipper is supposed to do. Now it might give your position away but don€t forget that the ship you just sent to the bottom my have sent a SOS message before going down. And you know what happens when them allies find out that there might be a sub in the area they go looking for it, and survivors. As far as getting any renown I don€t know.

PsychoFritz
04-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I thought I read somewhere in the forums earlier today that some of the guys here are being attacked by airplanes after using the radio. I'm not sure yet because I just hit 1941 and have only been attacked by airplanes a few times near the North coast of England.

Charlie901
04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsychoFritz:
I thought I read somewhere in the forums earlier today that some of the guys here are being attacked by airplanes after using the radio. I'm not sure yet because I just hit 1941 and have only been attacked by airplanes a few times near the North coast of England. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it's true!

Using your Radio will give away your position when the allies have radio detection equipment (don't know exactly when?) and it IS modelled in this game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mylo42
04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
I agree with the comment about sending the report a little bit later when you feel it is safer to do so. I think that is what I would do in the "real" situation.

Tyke909
04-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I believe (the history buffs are free to correct me) that Uboat commanders sent short burst contact reports to allow the assembling of Wolfpacks. Obviously the reports were very short and Enigma coded. They also sent weather reports. I doubt they sent sinking reports via radio unless they were about important shipping as they would have simply logged those.

Britain and I am sure the USA had listening stations up and down the coastlines for interception and also direction finding. Enigma code was broken eventually which the Germans were as far as I know never aware of.
If you imagine a Uboat 1000 Nmiles off the West coast of the UK 3 or 4 seperate direction measurements taken at points ranging from the far North of Scotland to the Lizard in Cornwall, lines drawn on suitable charts would place the position of the Uboat at the point the angled lines intersect. Of course at such a large distance angle measurement being what it is the position would be far from exact, probably +- 50 miles in any direction giving a circle of approx 100 mile diameter. Closer in to the coastlines the search area would be reduced, but it is still an area rather than a point location.
Of course if it was a contact report the convoys rough location would be known by the allies so it would narrow the area a bit. In the longer range targets Catalinas and Sunderlands with their large ranges could search for hours in decent weather, plus of course Uboats couldn't spend all that long underwater. I can understand why Uboat commanders were paranoid about aircraft.

Dr.Trespasser
04-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Radio Direction Finding (RDF) equipment had been around even before the war, it was used for peacful navigation purposes before the war started.

quillan
04-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I generally send contact reports when I encounter a convoy or task force, but I don't usually send patrol reports much. I'll send one in when I finish my assigned patrol grid, and if I am considering putting in at another port for resupply, but I don't send patrol reports much at all.