PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about a yoke

Wildnoob
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I was thinking in buy a yoke, was targeting the pro fligth model by Saitek, but then find this one here, sorry for be saying "this one", don't know anything about this area:

http://www.fspilotshop.com/pro..._16&products_id=1069 (http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=1069)

This top-of-the-line FAA-approved yoke is as real as it gets. It's in use at some of the best-known flight schools, universities and airlines worldwide, and even at NASA.

The Cirrus Yoke looks and feels like the yoke of a Mooney or similar aircraft, and each one is hand-built. Major components are machined from custom castings and heavy-gauge metal...the only plastic is on the electric trim rocker switches at the top of the horns. Inside, a unique mechanical design and top-dollar potentiometers measure the smallest amount of control pressure and give the most realistic feel you can buy...perfect for flying an ILS to minimums.

Features:

*Built-in Cessna-style push-pull throttle.
* Super-tough cabinet supports a 17" monitor.
FAA-approvable as the primary flight control for three different Personal Computer Aviation Training Devices (PCATD).
* Works with any simulator software.
* Connects to USB port.
* Compatible Operating Systems: Windows 98, ME, XP and 2000.

ok, the description dispense comments, but you folks think that wroth everything, I mean...

it's something really so good in comparison with the pro fligth Saitek one in your views?

say that because I fly with bombers a LOT, had IL2 have more bombers, would already buy a yoke long ago.

so folks, wat's your view about such control system?

K_Freddie
08-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Sim Never equals RL...
Bah! to so called real feel yokes - just an excuse to make it $$$$$
Any yoke will do as it's all down to you and the feedback you get from the sim - 1 or 2 hours on a similar RL a/c, and away you go.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lt_Letum
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
As there are no true yoked planes in IL2 I struggle to see the appeal.

Wildnoob
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
Sim Never equals RL...
Bah! to so called real feel yokes - just an excuse to make it $$$$$
Any yoke will do as it's all down to you and the feedback you get from the sim - 1 or 2 hours on a similar RL a/c, and away you go.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freddie, long time no see you buddy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thanks for your reply, that was I was thinking.

Sillius_Sodus
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
$545 is a bit high for a yoke with very few buttons. For that kind of money you can get a full CH or top of the line Saitek or Thrustmaster hotas and have some $$$ leftover for gaming keyboards, mice, etc.

Wildnoob
08-19-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks for your replies!

yes, I can buy both the pro fligth yoke and a quadrant trottle, buy my new X52 pro strick, as my conventional X52 one is already showing his age and still stay with about $40.

looks wounderful, but thanks to you folks, I'm seeing that may not be so wounderful and would wast a lot of money perhaps without necessity. of course, the quality of the product is indiscutible, but if it fit to me to me is wat I'm seeing.

ElAurens
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Letum:

P38

Pe 2

Pe 3

B 25

A 20.

TB 3.

He 111

Ju 88

Betty

All use a yoke for control in real life.

And then with the mods you have...

B 17

B 24

B 29

Catalina

H8K1

etc...

Stiletto-
08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I used a CH Virtual Pilot for many years of my life, enjoyed using it. Even if you were to fly a fighter plane with a yoke it works just fine once you get used to it. I suppose a few lightning pilots got used to it.

I would personally go with the Saitek or CH Yoke though, you are going to want all those extra buttons. I can't see them feeling much worse than that 500 dollar one.

Wildnoob
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
well, I decided, gonna stay with the Saitek one, so I can buy the other things as well as use more the rest of the money I gonna receive soon to other areas.

thank you very much folks, let's use this topic to share and solve any other doubts about yokes also.

WTE_Galway
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
With a yoke set the profile sliders to straight 100s.

ummh ... fail .. there are a lot

na85
08-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Joystick = groovy

Yoke =! groovy

Bearcat99
08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
CH or Saitek... That is wayyy too pricey..

JG52Uther
08-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Epic fail!

Mr_Zooly
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I tried the Saitek yoke and for it was only really useful for the slower bombers (for me that is) and no real use for fighters.

doogerie
08-21-2009, 05:59 AM
I thaught a few of the old hevey Bombers used a yoke

AK_Mongo
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I am using a CH yoke and Saitek Throttle quadrant. Because I am a poor pilot, they do not do me much good online, but I like the feel of them much better than my previous solution. (x52). Do not really have an opinion on Saitek vs. Ch yoke, the CH was just cheaper on ebay at the time I was buying.

na85
08-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by doogerie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lt_Letum:
I thaught a few of the old hevey Bombers used a yoke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The TB-3 actually has a steering wheel.

AK_Mongo
08-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Will say that I have a thin desk, and the CH does not clamp well to it. Old Windows ME for Dummies book makes the perfect amount of shim though!

Warrington_Wolf
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Zooly:
I tried the Saitek yoke and for it was only really useful for the slower bombers (for me that is) and no real use for fighters. I have the CH yoke and I fly the B-25 with it, I find that it adds to the immersion quite a bit.

F0_Dark_P
08-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Flying bombers with i yoke really must be heaven for a bomber pilot, I love my CH Fighter stick but it feels awkward when flying bombers

Think i am going to get a CH yoke soon i think http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

I really Don't know about Saitek.. personally i don't like the quality on that particular brand, i always had problems with the sticks i had from them, so i would get the CH any day and it is made by Americans http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif they are sturdy stuff!

blairgowrie
08-21-2009, 03:16 PM
@ Wilnoob. Please check your pm.

TX-EcoDragon
08-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I've used the PFC Cirrus yokes, and yes they are about as good as you will get for a PC yoke as far as feel and durability. The rudder pedals are great too.

I also own the Ch and Saitek Yokes, and to be honest, the CH has never been anything but a disappointment. That's the short version.

The Saitek has some very cheap feeling switches on it, a very hollow feeling yoke, and softplastic levers on the Quadrant but overall feel, features, and ergonomics are far better than the CH (which would be for sale if I didn't always tell people not to buy one before mentioning that).

I think you should get the Saitek yoke and use the extra cash as a joystick fund. . .I don't know that you'll want the yoke in all that you fly, and I'm also not sure that the yoke would hold up to frantic furballs very well either.

joejoemonkey
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a CH yoke and wouldn't recommend it unless you feel comfortable modifying the internals. Basically the problem is poor return to center for elevator control. There is a 3/4 inch travel where there is no tension in the center throw and it really plays havoc in elevator trimming. The clamping system was designed for a desktop made of a 1 inch thick plank of plywood, but most problems can be solved by shimming. I say try the Saitek. Worst case is that you have potentiometer problems at some point, but with the CH, you will always have centering problems.