PDA

View Full Version : Is FLAK an anti-shipping game killer...???

Charlie901
10-25-2004, 09:41 AM
I first have to say that being a Military A/C simulation Fanatic, this is the first time I have not run out and purchased an IL2 game at the store on release date. I usually have to run to two or three stores to find an IL2 product upon release, however I'm a little concerned with PF currently.

My biggest concern is recreating history with some Anti-Shipping runs (something for which I was eagerly anticipating), and low FPS due to currently modeled AAA/FLAK.

I've heard that extremely low FPS due to naval AAA is still an issue in PF and I really hope it can be addressed.

Don't get me wrong, cause I'm still going to buy it, but I'm dissapointed in some of the things I've already heard in addition to the naval fire FPS issue.

I know that many of these issues will be addressed due to the great support from the developers shown on the previous IL2 games. It's just that I guess I was hoping for some of the things that are important to me to have been addressed upon release.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for some excellent patches and I guess I'll continue with building my next 1/35 scale Diarama in the meantime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
10-25-2004, 10:09 AM
Its the CPU power and the ballistics calculations being done thats killing FPS.

I tested the Tirpitz in AEP VS an attack wave of about 25 IL-2T's on my system to see what it would be like. I lost about 15 FPS during parts of the attack although it was still fairly acceptable. Considering that I had 2 Russian cruisers, 25 IL-2's, and 12 Bf-109's all firing and doing stuff at the same time I think my system will be able to take some of the strain posed by surface engagements.

I suspect mission designers should be very cautious with the numbers of ships they put into a given area. A convicing surface fleet around a carrier can be achieved with a pair of destroyers, the carrier itself, and maybe a cruiser or a few supply ships. Spread them out a bit too...

We'll see how it works when I grab the game.

BlackPhenix
10-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Not addressing the stuff you have "heard" that has caused concern and specific to the AAA and fps semi-issue, it is not a game killer.

However, you will need a highend rig to run a big battle that has a large amount ships firing(there is a sleep option to have the ships hold fire). Offline is certainly better than online.

The reality is that your rig unless its a Falcon or Alienware will have some slowdown with a high number of ships firing, that is it period. There is nothing wrong with the smoke it is just demanding and peoples rigs are slower than "they" think. You know kind of how like every man "thinks" he is a good lover, not. This engine is built with legs to grow into and that is it in a nutshell.

Chuck_Older
10-25-2004, 10:23 AM
uh, Phenix...are you OK? You are constantly mentioning something...not my business, but have you noticed you're constantly bringing...er...sorry for the choice of words here...bringing something up?

It's kind of icky. Just thought I'd mention

fabianfred
10-25-2004, 10:28 AM
with all the improvements coming out in hardware in the next year such as .... 64bit; dual-core; dual CPU's etc. I think we can safely hope to be able to run PF on the highest settings with as much action as we like going on before we get much older http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chuck_Older
10-25-2004, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fabianfred:
with all the improvements coming out in hardware in the next year such as .... 64bit; dual-core; dual CPU's etc. I think we can safely hope to be able to run PF on the highest settings with as much action as we like going on before we get much older http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but it's funny. I was just thinking about something- My old employer never gave me any options on my 401(k) plan when they layed me off 18 months ago. I have a new 401(k) with a different employer.

I'm going to roll over my old 401(k) to myself and pocket the money. It's only a few grand so I don't care about it going to the new plan

I could spend that dough on a high end PC right now, maybe 3 grand for all the bells and whistles

In 3 months that PC would still be obsolete http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Making PCs is the ultimate business. They all go obsolete faster than anything I can think of but they still cost a lot for the newest thing

Charlie901
10-25-2004, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackPhenix:
Not addressing the stuff you have "heard" that has caused concern and specific to the AAA and fps semi-issue, it is not a game killer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is good news!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>However, you will need a highend rig to run a big battle that has a large amount ships firing(there is a sleep option to have the ships hold fire). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A "Sleep Option", this is even better news, especially for recreating the attack on Pearl Harbor!

Ruy Horta
10-25-2004, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
We'll see how it works when I grab the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had an online game just now and when that carrier lit up the sky the frame rate dropped more than 20fps (at perfect with rear mirror on). I didn't like how that event made my new baby look like yesterday's hardware!!

But the effect looked great!

Jippo01
10-25-2004, 03:17 PM
If you experience fps drop from flag reduce the "effects=x" (x being 0, 1, or 2) setting to 0. It is not the flak, but the shadow effect that appears on the flak bursts.

-jippo