PDA

View Full Version : Requiescat in Pace Gadaffi? A partially AC-related discussion of Gadaffi's murder.

InfectedNation
10-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I understand that this is offtopic, and if any of the mods want to lock this and suggest I post in the off-topic thread, please go ahead.

A friend of mine has just posted this link up on Facebook, and when watching the video I was disgusted, and it made me think of Ezio's actions at the end of "The Bonfire of the Vanities" *SPOILER*<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Where Ezio shows Savonarola mercy because he believes that nobody deserves to die in such pain</span>
This has urged me to hear the views of the AC community on the matter.

For those of you who have played AC 1 and 2 (Brotherhood is pretty irrelevant to this), and to those of you who just have a strong opinion on the matter, how does this make you feel, do you think the rebels were justified in this, and what do you think you would have done in the situation?

Also I want to clarify that this is a not a thread for hot-headed political or personal arguments.

WARNING - Some may find the following video disturbing: <span class="ev_code_RED">link removed</span>

hrhtom
10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
guessing gaddafi was a templar

and the civil war was a ruse to acquire pieces of eden

i think ezio would spare his life alot like borgia in the catacombs of the vatican

leaving him to the fate of his own people

dave93vert
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
wow!

first we have to know that it could be a faked death by Gadaffi. we will never know. we can only say for certain that he is either dead or alive still. either way, yes i feel that rebels can be justified in theri actions in most cases.

InfectedNation
10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by dave93vert:
wow!

first we have to know that it could be a faked death by Gadaffi. we will never know. we can only say for certain that he is either dead or alive still. either way, yes i feel that rebels can be justified in theri actions in most cases.

Indeed, we cannot know he is dead, only suspect (see what I did there...)

YuurHeen
10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
was it justified? no
would i do the same? probly yes

it were mostly rebels that had been fighting for a long time but without proper training. they werent pro's. a guy as crazy as the dictator in court would only ashame the country more and there are problems with evidence of his links to the terrible things he caused.

luckyto
10-21-2011, 01:20 PM
This post subject makes me chuckle.

Calvarok
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think that if they ever reference this they'll say the Assassins were involved. I think that since it was NATO who was involved, that it would fall under the umbrella of Templars, but really, it doesn't have any potential for conspiracy. Just a case of big powers doing something that might cause a bit of good, for whatever reason.

dave93vert
10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
fun factoid from wiki

Gaddafi later also claimed that the revolt against his rule was the result of a colonialist plot by foreign states, particularly blaming France, the US and the UK, to control oil and enslave the Libyan people. He referred to the protesters as "cockroaches" and "rats", and vowed not to step down and to cleanse Libya house by house until the insurrection was crushed.
Gaddafi declared that people who don't "love" him "do not deserve to live".

InfectedNation
10-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by dave93vert:
fun factoid from wiki

Gaddafi later also claimed that the revolt against his rule was the result of a colonialist plot by foreign states, particularly blaming France, the US and the UK, to control oil and enslave the Libyan people. He referred to the protesters as "cockroaches" and "rats", and vowed not to step down and to cleanse Libya house by house until the insurrection was crushed.
Gaddafi declared that people who don't "love" him "do not deserve to live".

He was a vile man indeed.

Black_Widow9
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by InfectedNation:
I understand that this is offtopic, and if any of the mods want to lock this and suggest I post in the off-topic thread, please go ahead.

A friend of mine has just posted this link up on Facebook, and when watching the video I was disgusted, and it made me think of Ezio's actions at the end of "The Bonfire of the Vanities" *SPOILER*<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Where Ezio shows Savonarola mercy because he believes that nobody deserves to die in such pain</span>

For those of you who have played AC 1 and 2 (Brotherhood is pretty irrelevant to this), and to those of you who just have a strong opinion on the matter, how does this make you feel, do you think the rebels were justified in this, and what do you think you would have done in the situation?

Also I want to clarify that this is a not a thread for hot-headed political or personal arguments.

WARNING - Some may find the following video disturbing: <span class="ev_code_RED">link removed</span>

I wanted to let you know that I removed the link because it is extremely violent and offensive. I don't think this was your meaning in posting it but it definitely should not be viewed by all ages which the Forums are open to.
As long as this Topic does not stray into the inappropriate and offensive I will leave it open for now.

hrhtom
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
the video is out everywhere at the moment

that being said every news outlet deems it morbid but still shows it

as it has nothing to do with the AC series i see no problem with it being removed

InfectedNation
10-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by InfectedNation:

I wanted to let you know that I removed the link because it is extremely violent and offensive. I don't think this was your meaning in posting it but it definitely should not be viewed by all ages which the Forums are open to.
As long as this Topic does not stray into the inappropriate and offensive I will leave it open for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I did not realise I was breaching forum rules, probably should have re-read them first because I knew this would be controversial.

And @Hrhtom, I know it doesn't have a direct relation to Assassin's creed, but after what we have seen throughout the games I wanted to see what moral and ethical conclusions people had drawn, and this whole affair really bothers me.

LightRey
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not saying it's a good thing, but in this world what goes around comes around.

piratprince
10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Requiescat in Pace Gadaffi

Requiescat in Pace Gold Dinar

ShaneO7K
10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm going to go a little off-topic here, but the videos I seen of his last moments only made me feel shame for the people involved. I'm not saying I agree with anything that Gadaffi did and I know he was supposed to have ordered similar things to others (if not worse).

But it's just the type of person that I am, I would never wish anyones last moments are like that no matter who they are. But i'll say again I do not agree with anything that he did. I know I will probably get hate for saying this but this is just my opinion on his death in general.

NewBlade200
10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
What did this achieve? I thought he had fled the country? Was he still a threat? If this was simple revenge then I am disappointed.

Still, perhaps this will convince some other power crazy dictator that their road ends at a corpse being paraded on TV.

LightRey
10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
What did this achieve? I thought he had fled the country? Was he still a threat? If this was simple revenge then I am disappointed.

Still, perhaps this will convince some other power crazy dictator that their road ends at a corpse being paraded on TV.
He obviously hadn't fled the country. He was killed in Libya after all (they wouldn't even have been allowed to do so had he actually fled the country). Of course he was a threat. He still had loyalists of his regime at his side the entire time. He undoubtedly would've continued the fight through terrorist attacks had he stayed hidden. He was never going to give up.

kudos17
10-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm not a Libyan rebel, so I will never feel a personal sense of anger toward Gaddafi that they felt. However, obviously he was very hated. I heard his last moments were brutal; didn't read too much into yet, though.

I will say this, and this is my belief for everybody: It doesn't matter how evil you are, once you are dead, it is over. I don't believe in mutilating dead bodies to make a point, I don't believe in hanging them or parading them through town to say you've won, or any such thing. I think that once the hated person has passed, so too should the hate, and respect for the dead should replace it.