PDA

View Full Version : Myst 10th Anni-can't play saved game??

poolash
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi All,

I just went out and bought the myst 10th anniversary addition and have started to delve into the world of myst!! I played lastnight for about 3 hours, and everything is working/running fine (I'm running on XP Media Center), and I'm really starting to get the hang of what I'm supposed to do. I made it to the first-next world and decided to call it quits for the night....I went to Save As: and saved the game in a new file under my Games Folder.

I closed the game down and went to check to see if it saved properly. I click on my saved game file and get a message that the computer doesn't recognize the file extention .mys??? What am I doing wrong?? Surely I should be able to save this game and play it off the saved file??

I know it's probably something simple that I'm doing wrong, but I'm not the greatest with computers.....

Please help!!!

poolash
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi All,

I just went out and bought the myst 10th anniversary addition and have started to delve into the world of myst!! I played lastnight for about 3 hours, and everything is working/running fine (I'm running on XP Media Center), and I'm really starting to get the hang of what I'm supposed to do. I made it to the first-next world and decided to call it quits for the night....I went to Save As: and saved the game in a new file under my Games Folder.

I closed the game down and went to check to see if it saved properly. I click on my saved game file and get a message that the computer doesn't recognize the file extention .mys??? What am I doing wrong?? Surely I should be able to save this game and play it off the saved file??

I know it's probably something simple that I'm doing wrong, but I'm not the greatest with computers.....

Please help!!!

Heimdall_G
03-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the Forums!

You aren't doing anything "wrong"Ł, exactly. You can indeed start the game from a save file, but clicking on the game's start icon is much simpler. Then you can load a save from within the game.

The reason you're getting the error message is that you don't have a program associated with the .mys file extension. If you really must do this file association:
-- a. Click on Start > Help and Support.
-- b. Type file association in the Search box, and click on the arrow (Start searching).
-- c. Click on What's new with files and folders > File associations > Associate a file name extension with a file type.
-- d. Follow the instructions:
----- 1. Click on Start > Control Panel, and then double-click on Folder Options.
----- 2. Click on the File Types tab, then click on New.
----- 3. Type MYS into the File Extension box, and then click on OK.
----- 3. In the Details for śMYS' extension box, click on (Opens with: ) Change
----- 4. Click on the Select the program from a list radio button to activate it, and then click on OK.
----- 5. In the Choose the program you want to use to open this file: menu, click on Browse....
----- 6. Browse to wherever in Program Files the Myst folder is located, probably in the \Ubi Soft or \Ubisoft folder.
----- 7. Double click on that folder, then click on the Myst executable, probably Myst.exe, to put this file in the File name: box.
----- 8. Click on Open > OK.
----- 9. Close everything back to the Desktop.

poolash
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
thank you Heimdall, it worked wonderfully!! I'm going back to playing my game now.