PDA

View Full Version : Super AI planes!!!



nsteense
01-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I know the pile of complaints on AI, so it wasn't a real surprise what I saw yesterday.

I shot up a Me210 bad enough for the pilot and rear gunner to opt for the safety of a parachute. The right engine was smoking but no fire yet and the rudder was missing, but to my surprise, it was still flying straight and level. When closing in, I noticed the machine guns still firing every now and then (although the gunner followed the pilot in his safe exit), untill it ran out of ammo. I always thought that those guns were operated by the gunner and not by some sort of divine intervention.
Next thing I was trying to keep formation, finding out if it's possible to flip it over using my wingtip (to do the doodle bug flip, but I never tried that myself. Apparently, it didn't happen in real life, but anybody some experience in this?) Because that took some time (i'm not a real formation flyer), the right engine eventually caught fire and the propellor stopped running. Anticipating a nice bank over towards terra firma, I moved away to observe a nice bang. But to my utter consternation, the bloody thing is still flying straight!!! Just loosing a bit of height in the process. Even if was on auto pilot(if it had one), that would be hard to believe, because remember I shot off the rudder and that propellor is causing a lot drag when not feathered.
So to end this charade, I flew along side the crippled bugger, carefully flew my wing unter his and rolled not too far away. Well I know better now; the wings of my Tempest aren't that strong! Half my wing is missing, but so is his, and much to my satisfaction I see the plane going in it's final plunge when dangling on the strings of my chute.

Has anybody got some other strange encouters with AI planes with a mind of their own??

tigertalon
01-11-2007, 06:03 AM
The only thing I have noticed is that although many members of the crew of a plane are dead and stay in the plane (expample is He111 where you can actually see their bodies collapsed at their weapons in the external view), the number of crew members that bail out is not consistent with that. Looks like they all bail out anyway (and stay in the plane). Just seen it once or twice, would have to test to confirm.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_BLACK"><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">?In the size of the lie there is always contained a certain factor of credibility,

Deadmeat313
01-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I think thats a bug in the He111? When the crew bail out, some of the gunner positions are flagged as 'dead gunner' rather than 'absent gunner'. I reckon the sneaky Germans carry inflatable dummies of themselves which they leave in place to confuse the enemy as they make their escape! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

T.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Bearcat99
01-11-2007, 06:25 AM
When the plane's on fire the AI should bail unless they are wounded or dead... in which case the plane should either auger in or maybe fly around for a few seconds.... but I have seen Zeros.... Zeros that I have lit up fly around in circles for minutes after being lit up..... I doubt many fighters could even remain airworthy that long in flames.. especially Japanese ones of the day. I have even seen the bastiges try to come back and shoot me down, still burning. Sometimes the flames even go out. I also have noticed this new maneuver that the AI does of flying upside down for prolonged amounts of time..... Still though despite all these little quirks it is still the est out there IMO.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/tuskegeebondposter.jpg (http://www.tuskegeeairmen.org)[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE> 332nd V.F.G. (http://www.geocities.com/bearcat99th/) [/list]
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">It is easier to train a boy than to repair a man.</span>
Sturmovik Essentials (http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959) | Magnum PC.Com (http://www.magnum-pc.com/) | Joint Operations (http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp)

SeaFireLIV
01-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by nsteense:
When closing in, I noticed the machine guns still firing every now and then (although the gunner followed the pilot in his safe exit), untill it ran out of ammo. ??

Well, this is a new one. I have NEVER seen guns firing from an empty aircraft and I fly offline a lot. but I did see it in CFS3 when I overshot the empty plane.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/LIVeyes.jpg
"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin

stathem
01-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
When the plane's on fire the AI should bail unless they are wounded or dead... in which case the plane should either auger in or maybe fly around for a few seconds.... but I have seen Zeros.... Zeros that I have lit up fly around in circles for minutes after being lit up..... I doubt many fighters could even remain airworthy that long in flames.. especially Japanese ones of the day. I have even seen the bastiges try to come back and shoot me down, still burning. Sometimes the flames even go out. I also have noticed this new maneuver that the AI does of flying upside down for prolonged amounts of time..... Still though despite all these little quirks it is still the est out there IMO.

Oscars do that too. (flying when burning, flames going out.)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/griffnav/Gallery/MossiePRsig.jpg

nsteense
01-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nsteense:
When closing in, I noticed the machine guns still firing every now and then (although the gunner followed the pilot in his safe exit), untill it ran out of ammo. ??

Well, this is a new one. I have NEVER seen guns firing from an empty aircraft and I fly offline a lot. but I did see it in CFS3 when I overshot the empty plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made a track when this happened. I'll see if I can produce some screenshots

avimimus
01-11-2007, 12:55 PM
1) you can get shot while shooting and sometimes your body will fall over the trigger and 2) Trim.

Some aircraft are naturally stable and with good trim can fly for a long time.

Apparently shooting up the Me-210 in the exact way you did corrects for its design flaws (stability wise)...good thing the German designers didn't know that! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Klemm.co
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1241.gif
LOL, the German designers knew this very well. Guess why the Me-410 was created? And later versions of the Me-210 were corrected in this aspect, too.
It was just the stubborn modifications of Messerschmitt himself who made them to a good design that was not from him.
The bomb bay in the nose was not a good idea in any way, too.
But this is all hindsight, so it doesnt matter that much anyway.

zugfuhrer
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
It has always been like this for some aircrafts.

If you use arcade=1 you could se the hits, and get the message PK (Pilot killed) and if you looked at the hits sometimes it was right between the eyes of the pilot/gunner but it didnt effect them much.
But othervise the AI is bad, the front gunner of the He-111 dont shoot, and the fixed MG in the tail shoot as soon as there is a enemy fighter within 500 m and finish off his ammo.
As compensation the ventral gunner shoot through the wings of the Heinkel.
AI does many strange things.

Petey78
01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I've got a track where I'm flying an A6M5 against an AI TBM Avenger and I set the fuel tank in his wing ablaze whilst simultaneously killing his engine. After a few seconds the fuel tank explodes and the crew hit the silk but the TBM, with its right wing clearly missing at the root and a dead engine, turns gently to the right and starts flying in circles, at one point even climbing slightly! I formate on it and follow it through several very gently descending spirals before it finally realises that it should be in the sea and does the decent thing by crashing. Hmmm....

VW-IceFire
01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Petey78:
I've got a track where I'm flying an A6M5 against an AI TBM Avenger and I set the fuel tank in his wing ablaze whilst simultaneously killing his engine. After a few seconds the fuel tank explodes and the crew hit the silk but the TBM, with its right wing clearly missing at the root and a dead engine, turns gently to the right and starts flying in circles, at one point even climbing slightly! I formate on it and follow it through several very gently descending spirals before it finally realises that it should be in the sea and does the decent thing by crashing. Hmmm....
Given that there are numerous reports of aircraft that were considered striken by the crew who bailed out and then later discovered that the plane flew for a significant distance before running out of fuel ultimately and crashing due to that. Stranger things have happened in real life....nevermind the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/icefire-tempestv.jpg
Find my missions at Flying Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/downloads.php?cat_id=19) and Mission4Today.com (http://www.mission4today.com).

nsteense
01-12-2007, 01:06 AM
As promised, the super pilotless Me210 firing away at me (and itself but that doesn't seem to be an issue!)
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1159/ghost2rg0.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8026/ghost4pp5.jpg

nsteense
01-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Given that there are numerous reports of aircraft that were considered striken by the crew who bailed out and then later discovered that the plane flew for a significant distance before running out of fuel ultimately and crashing due to that. Stranger things have happened in real life....nevermind the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
One of the stranger things that happened in real life:

4 July 1989 A Soviet MiG-23 Flogger, piloted by Colonel Skurigin, took off from an airbase near Kolobzreg on the coast of the Baltic Sea in Poland, on a training flight. After take-off the pilot realized he was losing engine power. The pilot ejected and landed safely by parachute. The engine then regained power and the aircraft flew away to the West, guided by the autopilot. The fighter left the airspace of the East Germany and entered West German airspace where it was intercepted by a pair of USAF F-15s. The F-15s were denied permission to fire on the MiG and had to let it fly away. Eventually, after flying 900 km, the MiG-23 ran out of fuel and crashed into a house near Kortrijk, Belgium. An 18-year old man in the house was killed.

SeaFireLIV
01-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually, aircraft flying by itself is not strange at all. It does happen that a plane is just well trimmed enough or set up joystick wise that it simply drives itself along. Also, remember that a plane flying along straight is its own glider and if left alone will fly along quite happily until it runs out of fuel or somehow is deviated from its path. The fact that it`s well replicated in IL2 actually adds to the realism. There`s also footage on Utube of a jet that crashed into a lake that restarted itself after everyone had been rescued!

However, this guns firing on its own is defintely new to me. Never seen this before in 3-4 years! Thanks for the pic. You must be the first to notice this. Perhaps this fault is just to THIS aircraft? You should post this firing by itself fault to Oleg on the Maddox forum, I`m sure he`ll want that fixed. Quickly, before the Patch is finalised!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/LIVeyes.jpg
"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin

nsteense
01-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Actually, aircraft flying by itself is not strange at all. It does happen that a plane is just well trimmed enough or set up joystick wise that it simply drives itself along. Also, remember that a plane flying along straight is its own glider and if left alone will fly along quite happily until it runs out of fuel or somehow is deviated from its path. The fact that it`s well replicated in IL2 actually adds to the realism. There`s also footage on Utube of a jet that crashed into a lake that restarted itself after everyone had been rescued!

However, this guns firing on its own is defintely new to me. Never seen this before in 3-4 years! Thanks for the pic. You must be the first to notice this. Perhaps this fault is just to THIS aircraft? You should post this firing by itself fault to Oleg on the Maddox forum, I`m sure he`ll want that fixed. Quickly, before the Patch is finalised!
Absolutely! A well trimmed A/C will fly on its own.
But as you can see in the pictures, one engine is smoking so most likely an assymmetric power situation here, and if this was compensated by trimming, it has no rudder to do this.

I'll post it in Oleg's forum, if this a new one...

Petey78
11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Re-read my post please guys, I've heard of several accounts of aircraft flying for vast distances without pilots, in effect they're just like a large free flight model. There is nothing exceptional about this in the slightest. A couple of famous incidents I recall involved a BA Swallow in the UK and an Auster J4 in Australia. However, the TBF I wrote about was missing a wing AT THE ROOT and it continued to fly in gentle orbits, even gaining height. We're not talking about a lifting body concept, it was a TBF, knowing what I do about aerodynamics I seriously doubt that a TBF would be capable of gaining height and orbiting gently whilst ablaze and with only one wing.... Unless somebody has definitive proof to the contrary I shall consider this an innacurate anomaly in the sim.

Petey78
11-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry, it was a TBM as stated in my first post, it's late here!

captainbong1970
11-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I've seen a Bf109 shoot down one of my wingmen while fully ablaze.

other weirdness: After bailing from my Bf109 it slowly spiraled down and managed to belly land without me.

An IAR80 with its back half missing drive around in circles on the ground.



Oh and Payne Stewart's plane went on for hours with everyone dead onboard.

ImMoreBetter
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I love it when you die on the stick and your bullets are still hitting the enemy.


I die on the stick at least once everyday, and I watch pilotless planes frolic about the clouds all the time. It's rather fun, actually.

b2spirita
11-07-2007, 02:41 AM
is it possible to do the wing tip flip on ai aircraft, whenever i try even the lightest touch snaps off my wing. that said im not the best pilot in the world so it might just be lack of skill. can anyone do it consistently?