PDA

View Full Version : Papal Guards were a joke



crash3
04-12-2011, 10:53 AM
papal guards were boasted about in quite a few ACB trailers-"their sole purpose is to kill ezio" yeh right-in free roam there were 4 papal guards i repeat 4 papal guards in the whole of rome. they didnt counter any of your attacks-they die from killstreaks just the same as any other guards most of the time they just hold up their pistols that seem to take 10seconds to aim at point blanc range they were just a disappointment-they werent even as good as what i would expect basic guards to be like sorry to rant like this but we needs massive combat improvements next AC

who agrees?

itsamea-mario
04-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Suppose they were a bit of a let down.

ChaosxNetwork
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
This is everyones problem, they get caught up in all the hype that the developers purposely create to get sales.
Yeah they were pretty easy, but you over hyped them as well

ThaWhistle
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
combat hasnt been challenging in the least bit since AC1

crash3
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
the main element in AC1 was timing- there was little variety but there were either powerful attacks or normal attacks-you had to wait a bit longer before countering a powerful attack

also the combat was less predictable as the guards didnt have health bars/dots on top of their heads that showed if they would attack or how much life they had left-the guard healthbars need to go we should be able to see wounds or fatigue on the guards and sort of tell if they are getting weaker (hint graphics improvement) also i liked how any guard could dodge attacks and the guards could take life off you from counter attacking you

El_Sjietah
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Get rid of insta-kill actions/100% chance defense breaks/100% effective taunts.

Guards can be able to pull off any stunt imaginable, but when they never get a chance to use it, it still doesn't make a difference.

crash3
04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
Get rid of insta-kill actions/100% chance defense breaks/100% effective taunts.

Guards can be able to pull off any stunt imaginable, but when they never get a chance to use it, it still doesn't make a difference.

the next AC should have combat streaks-a series of parries/cool fencing moves not killstreaks-its realistic to see someone die from one sword cut/stab but therefore we need more skillful moves and better timing and less predictability

Xanatos2007
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
You need to learn how to use hyphens properly.

tjbyrum1
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
They do more damage and they also dodge and block more often than other guards.

They're also one of the only guards to be equipped with both ranged and melee weapons.

Counters do not work effectively on them like others.

Therefore, they are supposedly a lot harder than everyone else you face. The only bad thing is - the execution streaks.

They're about as hard as you can get them.

rain89c
04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
i loled when there was only 4 of them in the entire campaign.

GunnarGunderson
04-12-2011, 09:35 PM
The combat should be more balanced like Arkham Asylum, you can chain attacks but you need a certain amount of hits to pull of 1 execution, other wise you need to hit them until they die. And if you get overwhelmed you'll die (that part wasn't in AA, though)

bveUSbve
04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Counters do not work effectively on them like others.
That's what I thought until I discovered that they can easily be countered when you use your hidden-blade(s)... (As can "Brutes" and those guards with spears.)

Honestly, I'm generally not good at fighting in games. And on my first run in 'Brotherhood' I had hard times dealing with mentioned harder foes.

But after I have learned and "mastered" most of Ezio's fighting-skills and now know the weaknesses of all the enemies, I understand how many gamers criticize fighting for being too easy.

AC needs different difficulty levels.

Xanatos2007
04-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by bveUSbve:
AC needs different difficulty levels.
Or perhaps a health bar that's not 4.5 miles long and that can't be regenerated instantaneously by easy-to-acquire smelling salts.

itsamea-mario
04-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
They do more damage and they also dodge and block more often than other guards.

They're also one of the only guards to be equipped with both ranged and melee weapons.

Counters do not work effectively on them like others.

Therefore, they are supposedly a lot harder than everyone else you face. The only bad thing is - the execution streaks.

They're about as hard as you can get them.

Yeah but kill one and you've killed them all basically.

They should have made them mostly streakm proof, counter proof, sometimes kick proof, and occasionally smoke bomb proof, it's way to easy when you can just use a smoke bomb and kill 10 guards.

Also they could have made them immune to frontal assassinations. but they didn't, they just made them slightly more pesky than your normal guard.

crash3
04-13-2011, 07:42 AM
hidden blade needs to be a more exclusive weapon useed only for stealthy purposes im not so keen on using it as a primary weapon its unrealistic against swords etc. maybe next game you could use hidden blade as a secondary weapon alongside the sword instead of a hidden gun-the gun in the next game should be like the crossbow-have an 18th century style pistol by your side or on your back instead-crossbows were long gone by 18th century so replace that with a gun

also yes the guards should stop you doing frontal hidden blade kills if they are watching you, we should quietly approach them from behind, stab them then leave, job done

ACB practically made the hidden blade UNHIDDEN!

Inorganic9_2
04-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Second'd on the point about flashing health bars.

Also, I shall revive my older point about post-combat: they need to rehumanise guards by making them roll around in pain and such. They seem like robots if they just die straight away.

crash3
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
there shouldnt be any health bars on guards at all let alone the ones that flash signalling an attack-it looks cartoonish and makes combat too predictable/easy

terzho
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I managed to kill all four of them with my fists...........

crash3
04-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by terzho:
I managed to kill all four of them with my fists...........

same, i thank you for your comment, it just pretty much summed up my original point lol!

SAVMATIC
04-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I remember this being brought up before. Yes, they were terrible. Hype or not, everything is pretty easy to kill in ACB, and theres definitely nothing you cant fight that would ever really put your life at risk.

Honestly I think they should just integrate a combat or overall difficulty level to the game that players and adjust to their style of play.

crash3
04-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SAVMATIC:
I remember this being brought up before. Yes, they were terrible. Hype or not, everything is pretty easy to kill in ACB, and theres definitely nothing you cant fight that would ever really put your life at risk.

Honestly I think they should just integrate a combat or overall difficulty level to the game that players and adjust to their style of play.

if you look up some videos on youtube showing 18th century style fencing/sword fighting, there is a heck of a lot of skill involved so if ubisoft want to remain historically accurate, i think we're in for some brilliant improvements

crash3
04-14-2011, 02:14 PM
havent menioned this yet but i was also amazed how armour didnt really account for anything on the guards in general, you could still slice a brute up with a little dagger which just wouldnt happen

Pavan_NL
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
About the hidden blade...I preferred the way it was in AC1. You couldn't block, no combo kills and the time frame for a counter was small. In exchange for this, it allowed for one-hit kills.

In AC2/ACB the hidden blades are, in my opinion, overpowered.

SAVMATIC
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I hope they dont downgrade the hidden blades. They are a unique gameplay feature, and to me it feels more realistic playing an assassin and using the hidden blade when possible instead of pulling out a sword and getting into all that.
Its the counter attack system and how much guards all suck equally that is making them overpowered.

crash3
04-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by SAVMATIC:
I hope they dont downgrade the hidden blades. They are a unique gameplay feature, and to me it feels more realistic playing an assassin and using the hidden blade when possible instead of pulling out a sword and getting into all that.
Its the counter attack system and how much guards all suck equally that is making them overpowered.

ye but the idea of the hidden blade is the discreet in out job done kinda weapon-it needs its exclusivity back again i would have more respect for that weapon then