PDA

View Full Version : b29 gunners?

fordfan25
12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
i have noticed the gunners on the b29 is kinda ineffective. i thought i read one time that there was some kinda system built into the b29 that improved the defencive guns acuracy. Any idea if that true or not. i have found the he111 a much tougher target to not only bring down but avoid being killed my self. not asking for changes or saying any thing is wrong just woundering if anyone else had this thought. heck i find it easyer to bring down a b17 than a b29. was the b29 IRL just not up to the earlyer bombers standerds.

fordfan25
12-30-2004, 04:22 PM
i have noticed the gunners on the b29 is kinda ineffective. i thought i read one time that there was some kinda system built into the b29 that improved the defencive guns acuracy. Any idea if that true or not. i have found the he111 a much tougher target to not only bring down but avoid being killed my self. not asking for changes or saying any thing is wrong just woundering if anyone else had this thought. heck i find it easyer to bring down a b17 than a b29. was the b29 IRL just not up to the earlyer bombers standerds.

Athosd
12-30-2004, 05:09 PM
The B29 defensive armament should probably be a lot more effective - not sure if the game can model differences for AI gunners aside from skill setting (perhaps B29 crew should be +1 skill level due to the better equipment?). Gunnery control in the B29 was surely a generation ahead of anything else in the sky at that time.

Haven't seen him post in here for a while - but Droopsnoot crewed on B29s in the PTO, and was great source of info.

Cheers

Athos

Paul_K
12-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Fordfan, the B-29 had a gunnery control system whereby a gunner could slave more than one of the remotely controlled turrets to his gunsight. The priorities for who could take control of which turrets at any given moment was pre-set into the system, and was largely dependant on where the plane would be flying in the formation.

For example, the gunner on the right side of the plane would have priority if his aircraft was on the right-hand side of the formation, since attacks would be coming in towards him rather than the gunner on the left-hand side. However I believe the master gunner and the bombardier in the nose compartment could overide both side gunners.

The only one who couldn't do any of this was the tail gunner, who only operated his own guns.

berg417448
12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Defensive Guns Directed by Electronic Computers
€œFully armed B-29 versions featured five gun turrets -- upper forward and aft, lower forward and aft, and a manned tail turret. Each turret mounted two guns, except for the upper forward, which had four. All turrets were electrically powered (the B-29 was an electric airplane with more than 100 electric motors, including landing gear actuation), remotely sighted and controlled (no in-flight gunner access, including the tail turret), electronic computer directed, with manually fired guns.
General Electric developed the Central Fire Control system, which consisted of five interconnected electronic analog computers, one per gun turret. Each gunner could directly fire his own guns if the computer system was inoperative. All gunners had control of their turret and secondary control of others -- an intercom system provided communication between the gunners. A gunner could fire the guns of another turret from his sighting position, and, uniquely, fire the guns of two or more turrets at once.
Thousands of electronic computers (the 1940s term) were manufactured for and utilized by B-29s€¦.€
http://korea50.mil/graphics/scanner_gunner_large.jpg
Source: http://www.historylink.org/output.cfm?file_id=3828

fordfan25
12-30-2004, 06:26 PM
hard to believe thay had things like that way back then hu?