PDA

View Full Version : EEK! F4F-3 and F4F-4 ruined by new patch? Help!



SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Please, someone tell me I'm doing something wrong.

When I start in QMB, realistic engine management, at 5,000m, the engine begins to smoke IMMEDIATELY and loses power. I don't even have time to press the supercharger shift key before the engine is fried.

Can some else cooberate this?

Equilizer
11-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Pull back fuel mixture. Up the supercharger.

chris455
11-18-2004, 07:39 PM
What Equilizer said. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

J_Weaver
11-18-2004, 07:42 PM
I don't have PF yet, but I just read somewhere that mixture is more realistic now, I beleive they said they had to drop mixture to 80% at high alt for the wildcats.
hope that helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

wow, we all 3 were typing at the same time! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Whew, will try that. I got really scared there for a minute!!!

Sun_Ra
11-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Iv'e noticed that on a number of the new planes I can't lower the mixture, only can raise it. Superchargers have 3 stages on a few planes which is nice. Did they model it so that in order to lower the mixture you need to be at some minimum alt? Maybe I've never flown high enough?

VW-IceFire
11-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Never flown a Yak-9 before SkyChimp?

Athosd
11-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I reckon SkyChimp knows about the engine management http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - sounds like the 'mission start' engine settings are causing severe engine damage so quickly the player doesn't have time to make changes.

I'll certainly check this out as soon as I get my mits on the patch (at work for next 5 hours http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)

Ps - Got to be quick around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athosd
11-18-2004, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sun_Ra:
Iv'e noticed that on a number of the new planes I can't lower the mixture, only can raise it. Superchargers have 3 stages on a few planes which is nice. Did they model it so that in order to lower the mixture you need to be at some minimum alt? Maybe I've never flown high enough? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you check your control mappings - on types with manual mixture control you should be able to increase/decrease freely.
Be careful with the Supercharger staging as well - you can apply inappropriate settings, like stage 3 at sea level, which can mangle your engine.

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Seems I always flew around in AutoRich. At 5000m 70% mixture cures the smoking and restores full power. Guess I'll have to watch that more closely from now on. Doesn't seem to be an issue in the F6F or F4U.

JG53Frankyboy
11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
mixture settings for F4F-$

120% till ~750m
100% till ~2200m
80% till ~3900m
60% till ~6000m

lot of work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

btw, Corsair can slo use its 120% "boost" only up to ~700m now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Frankyboy:

I just did a climb test from sea-level and each time the engine began to smoke, I decreased mixture by 10%. I switched more that you have suggest, but probably more than I needed to.

Athosd
11-18-2004, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Frankyboy:

I just did a climb test from sea-level and each time the engine began to smoke, I decreased mixture by 10%. I switched more that you have suggest, but probably more than I needed to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SkyChimp - how are you getting 10% mixture changes? The default key mappings go in 20% steps - do you have it mapped to a HOTAS control?

Cheers

Athos

JG53Frankyboy
11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
well, i have key mapped degrease ore increase mixture only (these are working in 20% differences) - not the steps itself.

so you most propably get little bit other results.
nevertheless i was also very surprised how often you have to change mixture setting .
still have to check F4F-3 , FM-2 (with its new engine ; no 3.loader "stage" anymore http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 08:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Frankyboy:

I just did a climb test from sea-level and each time the engine began to smoke, I decreased mixture by 10%. I switched more that you have suggest, but probably more than I needed to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SkyChimp - how are you getting 10% mixture changes? The default key mappings go in 20% steps - do you have it mapped to a HOTAS control?

Cheers

Athos <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

I've got my keys mapped as follows

'1' - 10%
'2' - 20%
'3' - 30%
'4' - 40%
'5' - 50%
'6' - 60%
'7' - 70%
'8' - 80%
'9' - 90%
'0' - 100%
'-' - decrease mixture
'=' - increase mixture

Don't need those keys for throttle function.

---

Franky, the F4F-3 seesm to be exactly the same as the F4F-4. That's they way it should be since they had the same engine.

---

FM-2 seems to operate perfectly on AutoRich (100%) up to 5000m. Haven't flown higher than that in the FM-2 since this patch came out.

Athosd
11-18-2004, 10:42 PM
That makes sense - I currently have only 'increase/decrease' and 'Auto' mapped for mixture. Will have to see if the new modelling needs more keys for servicable mix control.

Cheers

Athos

x__CRASH__x
11-18-2004, 10:46 PM
So what performance will we use the increase/decrease mixture at 20% increments? Thats what I've always used. Remapping for 10% will ruin me for other controls that are mapped for those numbers.

mllaneza
11-18-2004, 10:54 PM
good thought on mapping mixture to the number keys, I have throttle-on-a-slider too.

tsisqua
11-19-2004, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
So what performance will we use the increase/decrease mixture at 20% increments? Thats what I've always used. Remapping for 10% will ruin me for other controls that are mapped for those numbers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crash,
Do you use your space bar for anything? I'm betting that you have a joystick, and use that to fire. You can use the space bar as a "shift" key, Buddy. . . or any other key that you don't need, for that matter. I use the Ctrl key + numbers, the space bar + numbers, the alt + numbers . . . etc. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


Tsisqua

Bearcat99
11-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Do you have an X45? If so then you cn set the black button on the throttle next to the mouse pan as ALT-SHIFT-CTRL in modes 1,2 & 3. Thereby upping your programmability significantly.

carguy_
11-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Very nice touch,earlier the engine acted strangely but now if it`s 100%mix@wrong alt it literally is soffucating LOL