PDA

View Full Version : Just got PF and having problems

Skyviperr
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I am having a real hard time completeing a mission. I am flying the US missions i.e. Pearl harbor, midway, tuglsia, etc. I have been flying for a day and have yet to complete a mission.

I am a very good pilot in other sims, WWII Online, Aces High, but i can't seem to beat the computer in here funny enough. Like on Pearl in the p40's, am I supposed to be killing all of the EA, or just as much as I can then RTB?

My ACM in this game sux, any time i try to pull a manuver I end up stalling, I recover but by then my E is gone and I can't do ****e agaisnt the zero's

Skyviperr
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I am having a real hard time completeing a mission. I am flying the US missions i.e. Pearl harbor, midway, tuglsia, etc. I have been flying for a day and have yet to complete a mission.

I am a very good pilot in other sims, WWII Online, Aces High, but i can't seem to beat the computer in here funny enough. Like on Pearl in the p40's, am I supposed to be killing all of the EA, or just as much as I can then RTB?

My ACM in this game sux, any time i try to pull a manuver I end up stalling, I recover but by then my E is gone and I can't do ****e agaisnt the zero's

Eldon45
02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Each mission has objectives you need to fulfill before the "Mission Completed" message fills the middle of your screen. On the old mission briefing maps, you could point your mouse at various points on the map and figure out what the mission expected of you--however I don't know if you can do this anymore on the dynamic campaigns. I just go on the mission, use teamwork as much as I can, and shoot down as many enemies as possible) or get as many ground targets if the mission calls for it), and then return home and LAND. Some missions can't be completed unless you land and slow down almost to a stop.

Sometimes, also, you will be allowed to "Apply" your mission and proceed to the next without ever having seen the "Mission Completed" message. I think this has to do with simply letting a certain amount of time elapse.

As far as the actual flying technique goes--many have acknowledged that this sim is harder to master than others. The FMs are more complex and tricky. The only answer is practice. I suggest using the QMB, making the fights harder for yourself by increments (Difficulty levels and #s of enemies increasing all the time). It's fun and it's worth it!

EnGaurde
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
stalling... you are not taking enough care with your maneouvers, you have to listen to what she's doing and adjust your control inputs to you aircrafts remaining performance capabilites.

yank and bank... naah, have you in a spin. Oiye..... *throws hands in the air* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

careful co-ordinated use of the flaps, airlerons, rudder and elevators are needed to successfully maneouver your bird around the sky, but ham fisted console game habits are despicable and have no place here.

*spits on the ground and makes the sign to avoid the Evil Eye*

use the quicj mission builder functionality to fly an empty sky, try stalls, use the airspeed indicator to find out what speed your plane will depart controlled flight at, set up drones to practice gunnery and discover hom many counts your ammo will last for ( seeing you ALWAYS shoot in two second bursts ie button down & one thousand two thousand & button up...), set up deflection shooting situations so that you can predict bullet fall over distances....

the real flyers call it "training"

i like to call it "practice"

go forth, and enfilade.

kSetuni
02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
if you havent adjusted your input sensitivity yet then I highly suggest you do that. See the thread here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=9941030762
That should get you started in the right direction. I have heard reports that X52 users have to use soemthing totally different. There is a thread or two around that pertains to that.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

S.M.

horseback
02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Spend a little time in the QMB (Quick Mission Builder) to get a 'feel' for the aircraft you fly. Each one has its own quirks and style, so hopping from one type to the next can lead to lots of stalls. Learn to fly an individual aircraft first, then spread out, if you want to get good fast (RL aviation trainees learned to fly one a/c at a time, and it worked for them).

Also, the sensitivities you set your joystick for ingame may need adjustment, particularly if you have a twisty-rudder stick. Rudder inputs and trim are more critical in this game than most newcomers appreciate. If you put your sensitivities lower in all three axes, the sudden moves that have been putting you into a stall will be less of a factor (and the aircraft response will be more realistic).

cheers

horseback