PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire radiator bug

Viper2005_
12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I've just been testing the Spitfire's top speed performance on the Crimea map and noticed the following bug.

When the engine overheats, the radiators slowly open, then snap closed, then slowly open then snap closed etc. ad infinitum.

This happens with both the Spitfire VIII and the Spitfire IX.

It happens at both high altitude and low altitude, and may be in some way related to the extremely strange overheating behaviour of the Spitfire.

I haven't emailed this bug to Oleg yet - perhaps some of you chaps would be prepared to carry out a bit of testing from an outside view to confirm - it's really strange to watch and I'm worried I might be seeing things! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

At present I have tested the clipped winged versions of the Spitfire IXc and VIII - I strongly suspect that this bug will apply to all of the automatic radiator Spitfires...

I'm off to test some other aircraft fitted with automatic cooling systems...

Abbuzze
12-10-2005, 05:36 AM
I think it is more a graphical bug, the spitfire overheats that less...

Chadburn
12-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Viper, as I mentioned in another thread, the problem I've tested with the auto rads on the Spitfire is that they induce no drag when open.

The Spitfire will maintain full speed even after the coolant temperature reaches 115 degrees celcius, the point at which the rad is supposed to open fully. There's no decrease in speed until the "Engine Overheat" warning comes on at 125 degrees coolant temp with the oil temp at 100 degrees.

PFS_BlackBird
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Yesterday i warmed my Spit up on the tarmac. When it reached 70 degrees i shut it off and watched the temperature. It went back to its lowest value within a minute. A little too quick i think. Dunno if it is with every plane.

BB

HellToupee
12-17-2005, 02:14 AM
yea thats with everyplane, before engine restart problems in the air were added ppl would shut off their engines in flight fully cool them then restart as if they had just got a new plane.