PDA

View Full Version : Select and Padlock enemy

spqr1951
03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Can't play on-line... only dial up out here.

Have the original 3.0 PF disk; loaded in V3.02, V3.03 and V3.04. plus the latest RTS.dll file.

When playing against AI enemies, can't seem to be able to View/Select Next enemy (Ctrl+F2) or Padlock Enemy (F4), both selections only get a Chase view of the enemy.

Do I need to make different control selctions, or am I mis-reading the instructions? Have a M$ Force Feedback joystick that works well with my other dozen or so flight sims.

Any ideas?

Regards,
spqr1951
spqr@verizon.net

spqr1951
03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Can't play on-line... only dial up out here.

Have the original 3.0 PF disk; loaded in V3.02, V3.03 and V3.04. plus the latest RTS.dll file.

When playing against AI enemies, can't seem to be able to View/Select Next enemy (Ctrl+F2) or Padlock Enemy (F4), both selections only get a Chase view of the enemy.

Do I need to make different control selctions, or am I mis-reading the instructions? Have a M$ Force Feedback joystick that works well with my other dozen or so flight sims.

Any ideas?

Regards,
spqr1951
spqr@verizon.net

JunkoIfurita
03-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Ctrl-F2 scrolls through chase views of all enemies in the air - that's its function. Shift-F2 does the same for friendly planes.

I'm not sure about the Padlock F4 (I don't use it), but it's possible you're using 'Padlock external', which will give you and outside view.

Also, with the patching - I wouldn't reccomend installing 3.02. If you have the 100meg 3.03, and the smaller 3.04, that's all you need to patch the game from 3.00 out-of-the-box (If you have the smaller '3.02 to 3.03, then I guess you are stuck with it). People who patched from 3.01/3.02 to 3.03/3.04 have reported all sorts of weird problems from certain aircraft going missing, some functions not working, graphics glitches and mission generation problems.

Just a heads up - if you have no problems, don't worry about it ^_^ - but if you start getting any issues, do a fresh install and just patch the 100 meg 3.03 then the 3.04.

----

spqr1951
03-20-2005, 09:26 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
thanks Junkolfurita:

since i'm new to this forum, scroll up a few posts to another one I did on this topic. got an error message from ubi.com, and thought that this post was deleted.

no matter, the trouble was with the V3.02 install before installing V3.03 and V3.04. apparently all custom selections for commands are erased, and not all are returned to default settings.

my error was in asuming that my settings would be saved. with only a cursory review of the command settings, i apparently overlooked these padlock commands.

take a look at my other post "Padlock and Select Enemy Views" and see if you can answer the question: why doesn't PF have a rear view in 'No Cockpit' view as do several of my other flight sims?

i can look back left rear and right rear, but no directly rear view (my 6) in any aircraft. the P-51 has a bubble canopy, but you still can't look directly behind you.

uncle sam gave me an f-4 phantom to fly during 'nam back in 1967. even in that fine (sic) airplane, you could tilt your head full back and look behind you at the vertical stabilizer. a good idea to do it often to see if you were being chased by sam missile-cons.

thanks for the reply
spqr1951
spqr@verizon.net

JunkoIfurita
03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
re: the full backwards view. Do be honest I'm not entirely sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif, but I'll do some intelligent speculation on the topic.

When the game was first developed (IL2-Sturmovik: ForgottenBattles), there weren't any late war Bubble Canopy aircraft in the sim. In a razorback, when you look directly over the six, all you're going to see most of the time is the armour plating to keep the back of your head free of pesky gunfire.

The hat switch has 8 positions - this meant the developer had to choose straight down to be used for either looking straight backwards or for flicking down to glance at the instruments. As all the early war aircraft gained nothing out of a full rear view, I guess they opted for the one that would be more likely to come in handy.

Off course now we have quite a few bubble canopy planes - the P51D, later Spitfires, the Corsairs and the F80 Shooting star, to name a few. So I can see where a straight backwards view would come in handy. It'd have to be added extra as opposed to replacing the down-view, though, as a lot of us use that view for a snap view of our instruments (or in Pan mode). I'd map it to a second hat switch.

Of course, it's possible that engine is only written to handle a 270 degree field of view - that's as far as you can zoom outwards using the 'FOV' function. If that's the case, then adding that extra view would actually require a major amount of recoding within the engine - and I don't see Oleg & Co. doing that when they're already putting their efforts towards BoB.

It's not likely to happen within BoB either, as we're back to early war aircraft again and the function becomes unneccesary.

Well, you never know.

----

Latico
03-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I have found that while you are in gunsite mode (Shift +F1) you can see a bit further behind you than in normal mode. In the Zero, you can actually see the vertical stabilizer. Might be able to see it in some of the bubble canopy planes as well, but I haven't checked.

spqr1951
03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

thanks, junkoiturita and latico:

"I hack, therefore I am!"

even us 55+ year olds can figure out some things, especially if we enjoy the challenge.

i went into the controls tool box and scrolled down to an item called "toggle mirror/mode".

i set the control to the unused key "K" and when in "cockpit forward view", there shows a rear view mirror in the upper center of the cockpit bubble.

an uncle of mine flying spitfires for england in WWII told me that he and many others bolted a "mini-cooper" rear view mirror to the top framework of their cockpits.

this was the only way they could see a FW190 on their 6. too bad they told me of this after i discharged from the usmc vf182 service in 1972.

hey guys, go to the controls tool box and scroll down to "toggle mirrors/modes" and set an appropriate key. in "cockpit forward view", you will see an automotive-like rear view mirror placed top-center of the cockpit wind screen.

it doesn't seem to work in "no cockpit view", but let's hope the ubisoft.com guys add this feature to V3.05/V4.0m, if and when it ever comes out.

hope this helps you all, and anyone who reads this post.

thanks again for your responses,
spqr1951
spqr@verizon.net