PDA

View Full Version : Question re Emil cannon convergence

RCAF_Irish_403
07-24-2006, 06:11 PM
what is the best convergence for the Emil's wing mounted cannons?

thanks

RCAF_Irish_403
07-24-2006, 06:11 PM
what is the best convergence for the Emil's wing mounted cannons?

thanks

Treetop64
07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd say between 125 - 200 meters, 150 being the optimum. It's a slower traveling round with a more sloped trajectory. Fire the Emil's 20mm only when you are up close and virtually assured of hitting your target.

horseback
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Agreed. You only get 60 rounds. Don't waste 'em.

You get a jillion 7.9mm rounds for the MGs though. Blaze away with those until you see the hit flashes right in the middle of your crosshairs, and then drop the MG/FF hammer.

cheers

horseback

Pirschjaeger
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I must be doing things wrong. It seemed to me that we should be setting the convergences relative to the distance we like to fire.

If you are like me and prefer to shoot your target at 500, why not set the convergences to 500. Logical?

Am I missing something? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

FritzGryphon
07-24-2006, 11:10 PM
It's more a matter of setting convergence for ranges that you are likely to fire at, and likely to score hits. 500m is unlikely in both cases, and would be a waste of those 60 rounds.

I've found that target type plays a big part in this as well. Versus Hurricanes I might use 200m. Facing I-16s, I might use merely 100m, because their manueverability and small size dictates closer shooting.

RCAF_Irish_403
07-25-2006, 05:22 AM
thanks for the help everyone!

I'll try 150-200m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Not to sound contradictory, but I agree with Pirschjaeger. The vast majority of my gunnery is high-deflection snap shooting anyway. I don't tape down my trigger very often under any circumstances and usually give most opportunities a tap-tap. With most cannon, this will swing the fight heavily in my favor. With mg's it will slightly swing the fight my way.

I keep mine at 400m and on most servers that I fly, my hit air% stays between 6%-10% (and that includes a considerable amount of M2 ammo)

Don't be surprised if I pop you at what you may think is 'out of range' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

JG52Karaya-X
07-25-2006, 06:28 AM
I personally dont fiddle too much with convergence. For nose mounted guns/cannons I leave the convergence at 500m to give me a straighter trajectory - for wing mounted guns and cannons I go down to 250-200m which IMHO is a good compromise between close-in firepower and range. Remember that setting your convergence at a low value not only means that the guns are pointed more inwards but also a tad down which means you will have to give more lead in a deflection shot.

The only exception for me is the FW190A/D where I leave the convergence at 500/500. You have (4/2)x20mm anyway so for me the longer range is more important than a close concentration of guns

Pirschjaeger
07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Normally, when I'm on a hunting mission, I like to set my convergence at 500. I typically attack between 750 and 500 when it's closer to one on one. I only use "snapshots" and I usually hit my target. The guyz I used to fly with called me a "sniper". This is the safest way to fight if you have good aim, especially with deflection shots.

I flew the 109g2 lastnight in a dfight server. 500 was a bad idea since it was always a hairball. For hairball fighting I like 200 but I prefer fighting from a distance.

Like T-bolt56 said, use snapshots. I rushed into the fight and got 5 kills in under 5 minutes. Actually, the last one was able to get a short distance away before attamting a crashlanding on the side of a mountain. So, maybe a little over 5 minutes. My point of mentioning this is to show the advantage of learning to conserve ammo. I would say the most important aspect of saving ammo is to not fire at the enemies 6.

Make them turn and time it carefully. Oleg modelled the forces on the wings when turning, therefore making it easy to snap off the enemies wing, with minimal ammo, when he's turning hard.

To add, the psycological stress you give your enemy is 10 fold when you stay on his 6 without firing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Fritz

leitmotiv
07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Always 100 (and would use 50 if they had it) for both MG and cannon. Erich Hartmann said don't shoot 'til the target fills your windscreen (50 meters). You receive maximum effect because (1) all shells at maximum velocity (best for penetration of armor), (2) less likely to miss, and (3) target likely to be destroyed with one burst. Downside: you may buy the farm if the target explodes.

JG53Frankyboy
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Always 100 (and would use 50 if they had it) for both MG and cannon. Erich Hartmann said don't shoot 'til the target fills your windscreen (50 meters). You receive maximum effect because (1) all shells at maximum velocity (best for penetration of armor), (2) less likely to miss, and (3) target likely to be destroyed with one burst. Downside: you may buy the farm if the target explodes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i follow Hartmanns rule i normaly crash in my oponent http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ernst_Rohr
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I run 400m with my 109, but I tend to keep some distance, since it gives me more time to react to the other guys maneuvers.

The Emil's convergence is more of an issue that other 109's, since they are wing mounted, and 60 rounds goes REALLY quickly.

I also use snap shots, and short taps of the cannon over hosing ammo. 109's dont carry enough to be wasteful, so ammo conservation is important.

If you want to get a good idea WHEN to shoot, fly a couple of full real, or missions with no icons/labels. When you get to a distance you THINK you should shoot, try it. Once you get an idea of what your sight picture is, go back and turn on labels, then go back and see what range is matching your sight picture. Then try setting your convergence for that range and see how you do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

leitmotiv
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Er, well, there is a learning curve, I have to admit, JG53Frankyboy---I plowed into everything in sight 'til I got the knack. Hartmann must have been such an incredible shot he knew where to place his shells to avoid being exploded by a target explosion. I still get blown to bits by my quarry's termination every now and then. Cheers, Fried But Not Daunted

RCAF_Irish_403
07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
I run 400m with my 109, but I tend to keep some distance, since it gives me more time to react to the other guys maneuvers.

The Emil's convergence is more of an issue that other 109's, since they are wing mounted, and 60 rounds goes REALLY quickly.

I also use snap shots, and short taps of the cannon over hosing ammo. 109's dont carry enough to be wasteful, so ammo conservation is important.

If you want to get a good idea WHEN to shoot, fly a couple of full real, or missions with no icons/labels. When you get to a distance you THINK you should shoot, try it. Once you get an idea of what your sight picture is, go back and turn on labels, then go back and see what range is matching your sight picture. Then try setting your convergence for that range and see how you do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the Emils wing mount cannons do present a much different situation than the nose cannon variant...I'm almost tempted to put the cannon convergence at 150m and the MG at 300m...that seems counter intuitive though