PDA

View Full Version : Few BOB graphics detail questions

Chris0382
01-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I have been noticing the updates to the new BOB on the horizon and have a few questions.

Are people going to notice such detail of the planes during game play?

Given that in IL-2 the ground objects are hardly visible, will they be more visible in BOB to enjoy such detail.

Has there been any sample of game play such as flight models at this time (thats more important to me than ground objects detail).

Is there any photos of what the scenery will look like from flying aircraft at this time. Thats also important to me.

As someone who's writing a book on shore diving in NE and doing graphic detail of the dive sites, I can appreciate the hard work going into the graphic detail as Im only doing 2D Drafting anf these guys are doing 3D. Its not only time consuming but physically demanding in many ways to do intensive graphics detail for a long stretch.

My hats off to these guys.

K_Freddie
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Are people going to notice such detail of the planes during game play?

With a bigger hires screens (now and future) .. yep.. you will notice, and it will be luvvvvvly.

Originally posted by Chris0382:
Given that in IL-2 the ground objects are hardly visible, will they be more visible in BOB to enjoy such detail.

That's just it.. they currently hardly visible. With better graphics definition you be able to spot something further away unless it's well cammo'ed. This becomes important to see and hit quickly before trouble arrives.

With the BoB gamer engine I'd imagine Oleg has planned about a 5 year lifespan. And I'll take and educated guess that this engine will be used by other game genre's, so yes it's going to get better as the hardware technology improves..
Toys toys and more toys... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Chivas
01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
The SOW engine will be designed to last a minimum of 10 years or longer. It will take many years of add-ons to develop all the theaters of WW2. Each addon will introduce more features as computers become capable of handling them. I can see the SOW series lasting twice as long as the IL-2 series. Even more aircraft, maps, a very complex FM and DM. By far the hardest aspect will be the AI, hopefully the engine is designed to upgrade the AI as technolgy allows.

Oleg sees the big picture and is developing a cinematic engine, and not concentrating solely on FM and AI. All facets of the sim will be of benchmark high quality. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aaron_GT
01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Imagine a 40 inch screen at 1920x1200 (a big 1080p hdtv in the living room) and that might be the target platform both for the game and the cinematic engine for doing stuff for the history channel etc.

Falcke
01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I agree, the BoB engine will be be used for a very long time. The level of detail that is currently being shown is already better then nearly anything on the market today. And considering it is actually a flight sim where you won't see any of this detail 99.9% of the time...

I think Oleg has big things up his sleeve, this engine seems to have massive potential to be used for so much more then just a flight sim.

Xiolablu3
01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
The damagable parts of the aircraft are going to add much more realism.

If you have seen the cutaway and see-thru screenshots of the SPitfire internal parts, .50 cal armour piercing bullets and .303 is going to be able to do very intricate damage to each plane, meaning much more realistic damage to each plane.

Right now planes are nothing more than a few hitbox's and damamge is 'simulated'.

In BOB damamge will actually hit different parts of the internal model and do the relavent damage.

I think we will see people using machine gun much more than now as they will have a much better chance to damage something vital, as was the case in reality.

I remmember a German Veteran commenting on the 8x.303's of the Spit and Hurri during 1940.

'There were so many bullets flying around that they were bound to hit something vital' were his exact words. On the lesser armoured planes of 1940 8x.303's were still pretty effective, even on bombers at short range.

During 1941/42 Stanford-Tuck comments on the Germans addding more armour plate and .303's becoming less effective. He was pushing for more cannon at this time.

Chivas
01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
The damagable parts of the aircraft are going to add much more realism.

If you have seen the cutaway and see-thru screenshots of the SPitfire internal parts, .50 cal armour piercing bullets and .303 is going to be able to do very intricate damage to each plane, meaning much more realistic damage to each plane.

Right now planes are nothing more than a few hitbox's and damamge is 'simulated'.

In BOB damamge will actually hit different parts of the internal model and do the relavent damage.

I think we will see people using machine gun much more than now as they will have a much better chance to damage something vital, as was the case in reality.

I remmember a German Veteran commenting on the 8x.303's of the Spit and Hurri during 1940.

'There were so many bullets flying around that they were bound to hit something vital' were his exact words. On the lesser armoured planes of 1940 8x.303's were still pretty effective, even on bombers at short range.

During 1941/42 Stanford-Tuck comments on the Germans addding more armour plate and .303's becoming less effective. He was pushing for more cannon at this time.

The new damage model is going to make a huge difference in SOW. I had a habit of using the Mk108's as it ended the fight quickly. Now this will be the case with all weapons, as it should be. Now when someone takes a full one second burst, they will either be dead, trying to bail out, or looking for a place to crash land. You certainly won't see them coming back into the fight, as your conscentrating on the next threats.

~Salute~
Chivas

KG26_Alpha
01-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Propwash !!

ElAurens
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
The necessity of a new intricate damage model was driven home for me last night.

Flew some old coops with T_O_A_D, and one was a scramble where we go up in 12 gun Hurricanes to intercept Bf109Es and Ju87s bent on the destruction of our airfield.

I had a great full profile deflection shot on a 109. I could see the bullets sparking all over his wings and airframe. Yet, it had no noticeable effect. I was shocked. I have fired enough real .303 rounds to know that my barrage should have hurt that 109, and badly.

I can imagine the whines from the Blue side though, "the .303 is UBER!!" "Oleg has porked the 109's DM!" etc... etc...

Personally I can't wait.

http://www.pilotspub.org/phpBB3/images/smilies/MiniGun.gif