PDA

View Full Version : Runway Craters

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 09:38 PM
S` All

I thought a neat addon to this game would be whistling bombs for one thing and when bombs fall on the ground they leave craters.. not just pictures of craters. Is there some way when a bomb object hits the ground it can make a certain radius of the ground explode? Leaving a hole in the ground would be much more realistic. That way carpet bombing a runway would actually disable that runway just like in real life. After a certain period of time, a ground crew could come out and fill the wholes or something lol, just brainstorming. And the thing about the whistling bombs, to my understanding when you drop bombs and you are on the receiving end, i don't believe they make any noise except when they hit. Just another idea. thx

Lieutenant Hell's Angel 90 T of the 303rd Bombardment Group (H) "Hell's Angels"

Callsign: PirAnha
"Terror of the Skies"

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 09:38 PM
S` All

I thought a neat addon to this game would be whistling bombs for one thing and when bombs fall on the ground they leave craters.. not just pictures of craters. Is there some way when a bomb object hits the ground it can make a certain radius of the ground explode? Leaving a hole in the ground would be much more realistic. That way carpet bombing a runway would actually disable that runway just like in real life. After a certain period of time, a ground crew could come out and fill the wholes or something lol, just brainstorming. And the thing about the whistling bombs, to my understanding when you drop bombs and you are on the receiving end, i don't believe they make any noise except when they hit. Just another idea. thx

Lieutenant Hell's Angel 90 T of the 303rd Bombardment Group (H) "Hell's Angels"

Callsign: PirAnha
"Terror of the Skies"

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 10:18 PM
I agree with the initial post, real crater-damage to the runways will be a fine touch and making it even harder to start from other ground than the runway will make the cratered runways work in online servers.

The thing about the sound: I guess the speed of sound is greater than the speed of a falling bomb, so you should be able to hear the bomb eventhough you probably won't live to tell the tale..

rgds

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 10:31 PM
I haven't actually done much bombing since 1.11 came out, but I know for a fact there were quite audible bomb screams in 1.0/1.08b. Try setting up a static camera near the point where the bomb is going to be dropped, switch to it and listen.

Coding in deformable terrain into FB is probably not an option at this point in its development. However there are a few quick ways to hack this kind of thing out. Maybe "draw" an very flat invisible 3d-object over the bomb crater texture itself, similar to a static object or aircraft debris, that would make you bounce off it or remove parts of a plane if hit at speed.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 01:25 AM
We'll need a few more years of computer development to properly be able to arbitrarily deform terrain. Its doable now on computers, but its only been done in FPS's and there you don't do the number of calculations that a game like FB is doing.

In the future definately, but it may be years.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/icefire/icefire_tempest.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Hey..look who's here now !!

S~ old buddy. Well u're all true about it, would be good but they won't do it i think, just keep whising. The ground have no damage models yet, dunno if they'll ever make it but thet would have lot of sense...yes.

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 04:17 AM
clint-ruin wrote:
- I haven't actually done much bombing since 1.11 came
- out, but I know for a fact there were quite audible
- bomb screams in 1.0/1.08b. Try setting up a static
- camera near the point where the bomb is going to be
- dropped, switch to it and listen.
-
- Coding in deformable terrain into FB is probably not
- an option at this point in its development. However
- there are a few quick ways to hack this kind of
- thing out. Maybe "draw" an very flat invisible
- 3d-object over the bomb crater texture itself,
- similar to a static object or aircraft debris, that
- would make you bounce off it or remove parts of a
- plane if hit at speed.
-
-
How do you figure? There are already mountains and valleys, why can't there be craters in runways?

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 05:43 AM
clint-ruin wrote:
- I haven't actually done much bombing since 1.11 came
- out, but I know for a fact there were quite audible
- bomb screams in 1.0/1.08b. Try setting up a static
- camera near the point where the bomb is going to be
- dropped, switch to it and listen.
-
- Coding in deformable terrain into FB is probably not
- an option at this point in its development. However
- there are a few quick ways to hack this kind of
- thing out. Maybe "draw" an very flat invisible
- 3d-object over the bomb crater texture itself,
- similar to a static object or aircraft debris, that
- would make you bounce off it or remove parts of a
- plane if hit at speed.

A possible near-term compromise (in a year or two) would be to have deformable terrain within a certain radius of each airfield that is just large enough to encompass the runways, taxiways and parking areas. Better yet, have the maps be "smart" enough so that only bases being used (spawnable bases in multiplayer) have deformable terrain.

BTW, for whomever was asking why we have mountains but not craters: It's not the physical geometry of having a crater that's a problem. In fact, clint-ruin's idea about a crater static object is probably doable (and a neat idea BTW). It's having the craters form in real-time in response to a bomb blast that is the problem. In my extreme-laymen's understanding of things, this would require every point on the map (or perhaps a grid with 1 meter spacing) to have a variable for its elevation (as opposed to a fixed value) and every instant of time that went by, each point on the map would have to be checked to see if it had been hit by a bomb, then have its height changed accordingly. This would take an prohibitive amount of computing power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When my brother and I built and flew the first man-carrying flying machine, we thought that we were introducing into the world an invention which would make further wars impossible..."

Orville Wright, 1917

Message Edited on 09/26/0311:45PM by Leadfinger_71

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Actually, couldn't you just put the craters in the game but just on the runways and then have the pieces of runway cover them, give the runways a strength and when a bomb hits it, the piece of runway is blown away and the crater underneath exposed?

IRON SKIES
As real as you want it to be.

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi Pentallion,

That's actually one of the quick and dirty ways to do deformable terrain, but I don't think Maddox really want to spend time coding this in, then re-doing every single stretch of runway in the game and bug test it to make sure it works.

I'm pretty sure FBs maps geometry is pre-compiled and can't be done any other way - in other words - there's really no easy way to do it without a lot of work. Altering all of the maps to treat every runway as a ditch with a destructable mesh sitting over it would keep a modeller in business for some time.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)