PDA

View Full Version : Could we compare SOW to Crysis?

lbuchele
06-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Or, a system capable to run Crysis in high settings at 1600 or 1900 probably will run SOW too at decent fps?

Jaws2002
06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Yep. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

R_Target
06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
At this point, SoW is only comparable to Duke Nukem Forever.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I sure hope that they won't compare.

Crysis is merely a techdemo with a remake of an old story and a crappy multiplayer-part. Beyond that, support was officially ended 6 month after it's release.

I really hope we won't see any of that happening to SoW.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by R_Target:
At this point, SoW is only comparable to Duke Nukem Forever.

That's not true.

The Duke has been announced officially and there has been an official trailer and the confirmation, that it has reached alpha-status, complete with a few ingame-shots.

lbuchele
06-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I´m thinking about using performance in Crysis as a mesure to build a machine capable of running SOW.
Two or three years ago Oleg has said that only future hardware to be launched will be capable of deal with SOW.
Maybe we already have this harware, judging by the quality of Crysis and the graphics in the SOW trailers.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
There are SoW-Trailers? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Besides that, you won't be able to buy a computer now and play SoW on it for years to come. As Oleg posted before, there will be many features that will be activated, when people will have the computers to run them.

Or look at IL2. Can you still run 1946 with maximum settings on the same PC you ran the original IL2 on?

JSG72
06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
In a drunken stupor I just about ordered a System that would easily run SOW.

Onlything was it was going to cost me 6000 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

It runs Crysis, Top Tilt at 38FPS at 2560x1600 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-triple-review-test/13

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm reasonably confident that my Q6600,4gigs ram, and a video card upgrade (whatever is then equivalent to a 4850 today) should be able to run SoW at lower medium settings with decent frame rates. Oleg did a pretty good job of scaling Il2 when it wasn't really intended to do as much as it has, you have people running 1946 on P4's with 1gig ram and Nvidia 6800's with decent frames on lower settings, I imagine he can do the same with SoW.

DuxCorvan
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm waiting for DirectX 12 and the next Windows SO: Windows Bugga.

Phil_C
06-30-2008, 11:19 PM
I have no issues running crysis.. other than im somewhat disappointed in some of the "groundbreaking" graphic options..

And in all honesty, im not overly concerned about it- as im still not convinced i need/want another WWII sim.

Chris0382
07-01-2008, 04:16 AM
jUST A question. If SOW is to have the Made for Windows label, does this mean is has to be programmed for the XBOX360 controller and not have native analog support for our usual joysticks. This is what happened to Crysis and loads of other games just out.

Bewolf
07-01-2008, 04:27 AM
Crysis was not devloped for any consoles (yet), so I doubt this was done for the XBox360 Controller. AFAIK the reasons why you can't use joysticks is simply for the reason that most shooter fans do not have a joystick to begin with and they didn't want to give an edge to those that have one.

Not happy with this either but you gotta switch perspective here. From the devlopers POV implementing Joystick support would mean more ressources required and possible lots of critique and flames on the forums from those that consider Joystick support an unfair advantage. Kinda similiar of what ppl here think of TrackIR cheaters.

SOW btw is developed on the OpenGL standart. That alone already says a lot about Olegs views on Windows.

Chris0382
07-01-2008, 04:53 AM
I played Crysis and the only analog controller designed for it was the XBOX-360 controller. This is the new trend. It has nothing to do with the fact the game is a console game or not. If a PC game has the MFW Label it must support the 360 controller. And this usually means all other analog controllers are out.

I have a post in the CH-Hanger about this new trend and its unfairness. Do a little research and you will see what I mean. You may also be able to correct me a bit but I am none to happy with this trend.

I hope it is pure OpenGL that would be nice and am sure Olegg has a few loopholes to go thru to resist MS's new trend.

WOLFMondo
07-01-2008, 06:31 AM
You guys are giving SoW a death sentence before its even release or anyone of you has played it.

The 'Games for Windows' label has a ton more complex stuff in it than just controller support which is easy to support. You can actually go read all the documentation for it at M$ Technet. I can't see Oleg making a game without native joystick support. To even pose that question seems a little odd.

Originally posted by Bewolf:
Crysis was not devloped for any consoles (yet), so I doubt this was done for the XBox360 Controller.

A hell of allot of games will work nativly with both PS and 360 controllers and have done for some time. The 360 controllers play/charge kit plugs into a USB slot and Windows recognises it without issue as to many games.

Chris0382
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
yes and Crysis has also a special layout of the 360 controller in the options menu so its not coincidental.