PDA

View Full Version : YP80 - Plane, or stick of dynamite? You decide!

AirborneCoyote
08-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but the YP80 seems to go up like a stick of dynamite once I hop into it.

Random engine cut-off's and more than once, I've had the engine catch fire and explode for seemingly no reason.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Is the YP80 a dangerous plane, or am I just a bad pilot?

Kuna15
08-20-2005, 03:51 PM
P-80 is one of the best aircraft in the game. If you want, the only better plane is IMO Me-163.

P-80 can outturn many late war prop.fighters, can easily catch them...

Excellent ride as long as you don't get too jumpy on the throttle.

AirborneCoyote
08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm swaying more towards the 262, myself.

It doesn't burst into flame like the P80.

Kuna15
08-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Last time I checked Me-262 wasn't 'good' as P-80 but that was 3.04 situation. Maybe 4.01 changed that a bit.

Believe me or not I did not fly either P-80 nor Me-262 in the 4.01. Maybe only 262 for one/two times and that's it so I cannot tell for sure.

Check that planes in trollvile server. There used to be one guy, DEY_MIFETA or something like that, he is a real expert on YP-80. I noticed a few other jet guys from that server, like DogHouse, he was brilliant in Go-229.

Didn't checked that server for quite some time now.

Platypus_1.JaVA
08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Early jets where very sensitive on the throttle. A bit too quick of shoving the throttle around and you get the engine on fire. Today, they have computers (FADEC) who measure the input of your throttle and then determine how much fuel your engine is going to get. But, in the mid 40's, you just needed to be extra carefull with the throttle ad don't make any sudden movements with it.

Badsight.
08-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by AirborneCoyote:
I'm swaying more towards the 262, myself.

It doesn't burst into flame like the P80. the ultimate 262 killer is . . . .. the P-80 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

AirborneCoyote
08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
But the 262 has something that I love in a plane...

TWO engines.

Zyzbot
08-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by AirborneCoyote:
But the 262 has something that I love in a plane...

TWO engines.

and they both burn so nicely.

FritzGryphon
08-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Me-262 is way faster than P-80. No comparison between the two.

P-80 is built like a prop plane, that just happens to have a jet engine. The straight, thick wings that make it turn good cripple it. At sea level, it's wingbreak speed is actually lower than the Me-262's top speed. I think it's even lower than the FW-190 wingbreak speed.

Unless the Me-262 player tries to turn with the P-80, no contest. It can walk away when it pleases. Even if the P-80 had altitude, it would still disintigrate when it hit 850km/h or so. The 262 can do 900+km/h on the deck.

Unless something drastic changed in 4.01, I'll go look.

AirborneCoyote
08-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Zyzbot:

and they both burn so nicely.

Haha. I just did a dogfight and for the first time, I lit my engines up due to pilot error.

First time that's ever happened to me in a 262.

I still love that plane though. It's very forgiving for a jet.

FritzGryphon
08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Something drastic did change in 4.01.

P-80 top speed was increased to 833km/h at sea level. Me-262 reduced to 844km/h.

P-80 wingbreak at 1030 IAS (1000m). Me-262 wingreak also at 1030 IAS (1000m).

P-80 has got much more competitive in the patch, and Me-262 significantly toned down.

AirborneCoyote
08-20-2005, 07:14 PM
-nod- P80 vs. 262 dogfights are much more intense now.

I think the tendency of the 262 to catch fire was increased with the patch.

HellToupee
08-20-2005, 08:37 PM
in jet vs jet p80 is probly the better plane due to its similar performace and better turn since most jet fights degenerate into a low and slow turn fight unless u bounch, tried high speed fighting? u cant do anything without blacking out. However i feel the me262 is the better plane it has 4 30mm cannons, 1-2 hits somethings gona blow up, p80 can flame a me262s engines ok since well any hit to them and they are stuffed, but with 6 .50s and the extreme high speeds shooting down stronger slow aircraft is just too hard without lucky hits and the ammo just runs out quite quickly.

The meteor would be best 4 hispanos in the nose effective vs both hard to hit targets and strong ones.

VW-IceFire
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by HellToupee:
in jet vs jet p80 is probly the better plane due to its similar performace and better turn since most jet fights degenerate into a low and slow turn fight unless u bounch, tried high speed fighting? u cant do anything without blacking out. However i feel the me262 is the better plane it has 4 30mm cannons, 1-2 hits somethings gona blow up, p80 can flame a me262s engines ok since well any hit to them and they are stuffed, but with 6 .50s and the extreme high speeds shooting down stronger slow aircraft is just too hard without lucky hits and the ammo just runs out quite quickly.

The meteor would be best 4 hispanos in the nose effective vs both hard to hit targets and strong ones.
Meteor would be a dream...those are Hispano Mark V's...VERY fast firing.

3.JG51_BigBear
08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HellToupee:

Meteor would be a dream...those are Hispano Mark V's...VERY fast firing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Meteor would have had the optimal all around armament unlike the YP80 and the 262 with the more specialized armaments but from what I've read about the plane I doubt it would stack up performance wise against either airplane in a dogfight. I think I read somewhere that stiffeners had to be added to the meteor's control stick to make sure that the airframe wouldn't be subjected to too much stress because the structure couldn't handle it.

Badsight.
08-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Something drastic did change in 4.01.

P-80 top speed was increased to 833km/h at sea level. Me-262 reduced to 844km/h.

P-80 wingbreak at 1030 IAS (1000m). Me-262 wingreak also at 1030 IAS (1000m).

P-80 has got much more competitive in the patch, and Me-262 significantly toned down. ya in v3.04 the P-80 had to be close , the 262 could slowly walk away & keep away from the P-80

making the kill tho , that was eaiser for the P-80 user , the 262 guy had to rely on landing a lucky snapshot , or the noobie headon

& headons with fifty cals really sux , they is the best PK weapon in the whole game (fire starters too)

either v3.04 & especially now it seems , make mine a P-80 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . id welcome a Meteor tho , easy 200 points http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

also , a Mig-9 is being made for the Russian only add-on , now that would be interesting to get , wouldnt it LEXX http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kuna15
08-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Badsight.:
also , a Mig-9 is being made for the Russian only add-on , now that would be interesting to get , wouldnt it LEXX http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://www.airwar.ru/transfer/grishan///camms/ar/708/pics/1_10.png
http://www.airwar.ru/transfer/grishan///camms/ar/708/pics/1_7.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
08-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HellToupee:

Meteor would be a dream...those are Hispano Mark V's...VERY fast firing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Meteor would have had the optimal all around armament unlike the YP80 and the 262 with the more specialized armaments but from what I've read about the plane I doubt it would stack up performance wise against either airplane in a dogfight. I think I read somewhere that stiffeners had to be added to the meteor's control stick to make sure that the airframe wouldn't be subjected to too much stress because the structure couldn't handle it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True...the Meteor Mark I had alot of teething problems. The Mark III was a bit better...the Mark III also served in squadron service before the end of WWII and did infact fire its guns in anger. Although its only chance for jet VS jet combat was spoiled when a P-51 group mistook the Meteor squadron as Me-262s and tried to shoot them down.

The Meteors had to outrun.