PDA

View Full Version : What is a good frame rate

Vonds
06-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I just tried fraps and have a frame rate of about 40 t0 45. I do not know if this is good or bad. I have a ati radion X800 pro, a 32 gig computer and a soundblaster 2z aound card. Setings set to excellent.

dbillo
06-10-2007, 05:45 PM
An average of 40 to 45 is good, but it's important to look at the minimum, as well as the average. When the frame rate dips to less than 20, you will start to see the stuttering.

It depends on the sort of missions you typically fly, how many aircraft, explosions, etc. If you find too many instances where the frame rate is dipping, then you may have to make some changes so that your average is higher.

Vonds
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info! I will watch and tweak as required.

Divine-Wind
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
If I remember correctly the eye sees like 25 (+/-) frames per second, so around 30-40 FPS should be good. Setting most of your stuff to medium-ish should do get you decent framerates on a setup like that.

VW-IceFire
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
If I remember correctly the eye sees like 25 (+/-) frames per second, so around 30-40 FPS should be good. Setting most of your stuff to medium-ish should do get you decent framerates on a setup like that.
Sort of true...sort of not true. The eye perceives an image to be smooth on a TV at anywhere above 24 frames per second. North American TV is transmitted at 29.97 fps. The kicker with TV is that the frames are all blurred together so it looks smoother than it actually is. The eye can perceive about twice that number generally speaking (you can even argue higher although that becomes an almost philosophical debate at that point). Practically speaking in a video game the ideal fps is in the 60 fps range as that will be the absolute smoothest image. Most PS3 and XBox360 games tend to aim for the 60 fps mark...they don't always make it but thats what they aim for.

Vonds: An average frame rate of 40-45 fps is almost perfect. Its high enough to have nice smooth play and if you are spending most of your time above 30fps then the play should be, as far as you eye and brain are concerned, quite smooth. At 40-45 fps you have some room to tweak and see how high you can keep the average with the best possible image quality. Its always a balance between the two.

steve_v
06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Unless you only fly online, you should be using the Perfect option. Your 12 pipe ati card will be able to handle it. Heres a link to help you setup both the game and control panel settings.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/IL2setup.html

Vonds
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the help.