PDA

View Full Version : newbie-il2 orig-p38-cockpit-dial question

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
learning to fly the p38n1 from the cockpit. i noticed last night that the altimeter (first dial on left below gunsight) does not give the same / approximate reaing as the data displayed in red in the bottom left corner of the screen. if i remeber right from last night, the dial was showing shomething like "2 o'clock" (i do realise that the "hour" hand is hundreds and the "minute" is units) but the screen data was about 400 i think.
any pointers / put me right ?
cheers
frior-one.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
learning to fly the p38n1 from the cockpit. i noticed last night that the altimeter (first dial on left below gunsight) does not give the same / approximate reaing as the data displayed in red in the bottom left corner of the screen. if i remeber right from last night, the dial was showing shomething like "2 o'clock" (i do realise that the "hour" hand is hundreds and the "minute" is units) but the screen data was about 400 i think.
any pointers / put me right ?
cheers
frior-one.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 09:19 AM
The altimeter displays altitude above sealevel. The readout in red displays altitude above land. So basically if your flying and the red says 0, and the altimeter says 10,000 feet, you just flew into a mountian. The only time they are both the same is over the ocian. Makes sense?

Gib

frior-one wrote:
- learning to fly the p38n1 from the cockpit. i
- noticed last night that the altimeter (first dial on
- left below gunsight) does not give the same /
- approximate reaing as the data displayed in red in
- the bottom left corner of the screen. if i remeber
- right from last night, the dial was showing
- shomething like "2 o'clock" (i do realise that the
- "hour" hand is hundreds and the "minute" is units)
- but the screen data was about 400 i think.
- any pointers / put me right ?
- cheers
- frior-one.
-
-

I am now accepting donations to help get the PBY flyable.

<center><form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="gibbage@lycos.com">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Gibbages IL2; FB PBY Catalina Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="http://gibbageart.havagame.com/donations.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form></center>

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 09:44 AM
many thanks for that. yes it does make sence. i will just keep my eye on the red data then.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 02:04 PM
frior-one wrote:
- learning to fly the p38n1 from the cockpit. i
- noticed last night that the altimeter (first dial on
- left below gunsight) does not give the same /
- approximate reaing as the data displayed in red in
- the bottom left corner of the screen. if i remeber
- right from last night, the dial was showing
- shomething like "2 o'clock" (i do realise that the
- "hour" hand is hundreds and the "minute" is units)
- but the screen data was about 400 i think.
- any pointers / put me right ?
- cheers
- frior-one.

Uhhhhhhh I am assuming you mean P-39. Gib isnt done with the P-38 yet.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The speed bar is metric. The altimiter is not. Go to 5000 on the speed bar and you will see you are at @15000 ft on the altimiter. 300 on the altimiter reads as 900 on the speedbar.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

Message Edited on 09/03/0309:11AM by Bearcat99

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 02:38 PM
err yes, slip of the key, p39 it is. by spped bar is that an on line feature ? i have yet to go play online as i am using the original game and only have dial up.
i will consider myself a newbie until i can take off, flay a circuit, land with out damage. also be able to attack a flight of he111's take them all down with out sustaining damage. i will then consider myself a novice....thanks for help.
cheers
frior-one

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 02:46 PM
P39 altimeter reads in feet and the speedbar reads in meters. I dont think Cibbage is right, the speed bar also reads above sea level. If you land on one of the high airfields on the "mountains" multiplayer map, speed bar will read 1500 or whatever.

Redshift

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 05:13 PM
frior-one wrote:
- err yes, slip of the key, p39 it is. by spped bar is
- that an on line feature ? i have yet to go play
- online as i am using the original game and only have
- dial up.
- i will consider myself a newbie until i can take
- off, flay a circuit, land with out damage. also be
- able to attack a flight of he111's take them all
- down with out sustaining damage. i will then
- consider myself a novice....thanks for help.
- cheers
- frior-one

The speed bar is that red thing that tells you your speed & alt on the lower left corner you were wondering about.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

Message Edited on 09/03/0312:14PM by Bearcat99

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 05:29 PM
red things in the lower, left corner: SPEED BAR
Info: speed (IAS) in KM/H
altitude (ABSOLUTE - from sealevel) in METERS
heading in degrees

Depending on the plane origin, the dials IN THE cockpit show the info in metric or US/british system...

If u use the wonder woman look, aka CTRL+F1, the dial to the left shows the speed in KM/H (TRUE AIR SPEED), the digits (white ones) is something like a radar altimeter and shows how many meters are FROM THE GROUND BELOW YOU to your plane.
To the Right you have the "compas"...

In "cockpit view", some planes don't have a visible "compas" so I suggest using the speed bar from time to time. In FB u can assign a key to make it appear and disappear (only if u have allowed it from the dificulty settings before).