PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Targets

Coffee_N_Donitz
06-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm often on patrol along the English coast in search of "cargo targets" or warships. Occasionaly I stumble across a tug boat or fishing vessel, crewed by some villagers out to earn a simple living. I Know that if they spot me they will, of course, radio in my position and send a squadron of sub sinkers my way. But! how can I sink these poor fellows? We all answer the calling of the sea. How can one call a halibut fisherman "the enemy?"

Are there any historical records of such encounters? What do you guys do?

BTW: I am not asking the opinion of Socko, I know what that little homicidal maniac would say!!!

bunkerratt
06-13-2006, 02:59 PM
i think you answered your question...they have a radio..they supply food for the enemy..food is fuel for the war industry..the fella or lady making depth charges do drop on you might not do a real good job if they have no fish and chips..."be more aggresive
'

Thewiking1980
06-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Hello.

I know one story who happened i North Norway outside the island Senja on the april 12th 1943, when the russian submarine K-21, surfaced in front of a small group of norwegian fishing vessels and starts shooting with the deckgun and machineguns, leaving 10 fishermens dead and 7 mens where taken as prisoners, and brougth to murmansk. Why they did this, is an unsolved question, Norway was not in war with russia, so this was a big shock and tradegy for the small society on the norwegians on the island.

A russian sailor fell off the u-boat during the
shooting, but his comrades did not do anything to save him, so the remaining fishermens rescued him, when the u-boat was gone, they warmed up his frozen body and took him in land, where he was arrested by the germans, and sat in arrest outside Troms√¬ł. He managed to escape later with help from good norwegians.

Kaleun1961
06-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Interesting story. I'd like to know more. Did the surviving sailor say why his comrades attacked? Maybe they thought of the Norwegians as working for the Germans?

VikingGrandad
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm.... interesting. I'd like to know more too.

Here's some theories:

Perhaps the Russian sailors saw Norwegian flags on the fishing vessels and thought they were Kriegsmarine Ensign flags? (both have similar, dark-coloured crosses outlined in white on a red background)

The Germans could have been using Norwegian fishing boats to spy on Russian shipping. If the Russians knew about this, they may have assumed these vessels were spies, and so they attacked them.

Or perhaps the Russians had not noticed the fishing vessels before they surfaced. They may have thought there was too much risk that these local civilians might let the Germans know about the sub's presence. Who knows, the sub may have been on some kind of 'special mission' that was aborted after this incident (I just read that the K-21 attacked the Tirpitz unsuccessfully in Norewegian waters on 05 July 1942).

samaroy
06-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I too am interested in the historic accounts of this situation! Good stuff!

However in game and on mission,I normally dont surface and give myself away for simple tugs or fishing boats.It is easier to just let them pass.I see the point of them suppling food,but cmon.

hueywolf123
06-13-2006, 09:29 PM
If I've been spotted, I'll go them. I will leave them alone otherwise

Thewiking1980
06-14-2006, 04:58 AM
From events in North Norway during the war is well knowned that the russian several times hijacked norwegian fishing vessells and kidnapped the mens, to take advantige of the local aknowledge they had, where they get the chosen of being a partisan or be sent to russian working camps in sibir.

When the norwegian fishermens asked the captein at K-21, why they were arrested, he said: - You fished for the germans, and fish is like oil in the german kriegsmachine.

The russian explanation at this attack, is bad visibility(fog, periodical snowfall) and they accounts the vessells was german antisubmarines.