PDA

View Full Version : All The Talk About Opening The Game Up To Modification

SeminoleX
02-03-2005, 12:39 AM
I really don't care much one way or the other personally, but it did get me to wondering....

...just how far off is the day when some super brillant techno-geek somewhere develops a program that can run other programs and either guess/interpret the source code of the program being run.... or maybe completely write some new code that duplicates the program ?

Mission impossible? Gate's worst nightmare?

WB_Outlaw
02-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Just learn assembly language and decompile the executables and dlls. Done deal.

-Outlaw.

Ben131IAP
02-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Yes Gr8!
But I wann'a alter the default skins in IL2 Sturmovik (first version) campaign mode to allow custom skins to be flown in my campaigns!
Any ideas?
Thanks if you can,
Ben

Bearcat99
02-03-2005, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben131IAP:
Yes Gr8!
But I wann'a alter the default skins in IL2 Sturmovik (first version) campaign mode to allow custom skins to be flown in my campaigns!
Any ideas?
Thanks if you can,
Ben <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is something that I have been asking for for a while. I dont think it would be hard to do either. Just set the default skin as defineable...... if the setting of a server was for default skins whatever skin you had on your PC would be the one you would see. Say if I had my squads Redtail P-51s set as the default P-51 skin... if I had skin downloads turned off then that is the skin I would see... someone else would see the skin they had in thier default folder. I would also like to be able to see defineable skins for static objects as well... that way if sayI created a mission that was supposed to be the 332nd in Ramitelli..... I could supply the default skins for the mission so they could be installed and the user of the mission would see the mission as I wrote it.. with the exceptio of whatever skin he was using of course.

SeminoleX
02-03-2005, 07:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben131IAP:
Yes Gr8!
Any ideas?
Thanks if you can,
Ben <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't Lowengrin's DCG program allow you to do this already?

Without going to check... I believe you can select a custom skin of your choice for your plane...then enable an option to apply this skin to all members of the squadron. If I recall correctly the changes take place for the mission flown after the one in which the option was applied.

Maybe a 'round about way to do it but the point is...it can be done for at least some of he planes....and with a little extra research who knows what the limits are?

WWSensei
02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Decompiling executables (even into assembly) faces the classic computer science described as the Halting Problem. Essentially, a compiler acts like a one way hash and it becomes difficult to separate the code from the data. You can get hints but usually the effort involed to reverse engineer the solution is less than simply listing the features and rolling your own from scratch.

Interpreted languages like Java are much easier to do since their byte code output is consistent.

IAFS_Painter
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
If you inspect the code to find how it works, that's called Reverse Engineering, and is in direct controvention of your licence.

If Oleg chooses to release the code, or code snippets - then that's another matter.

faustnik
02-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes Gr8!
Any ideas?
Thanks if you can,
Ben <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is very easy to do as explained in this thread:

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35417http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35417 (Editing Dgen)

repoman11
02-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Some pretty clever people have been trying to crack the code for Jane's WW-2 Fighters for quite some time, with no luck. That tells me it isn't easily done.

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
The day that Maddox gives away the code to the sim, will be the day of the beginning of the end for this sim.