PDA

View Full Version : OT: civilian carrier landing

gerhardius
04-21-2005, 02:45 PM
I found this interesting story from the evacuation of South Vietnam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Claxon blares again, as the Air Boss, overhead on the bridge yells "UNIDENTIFIED AIRCRAFT DOWNWIND!" Hillary watches in astonishment as a small airplane buzzes the carrier.

The cessna banks, turns, and makes another pass less than 100 feet overhead. The Deck Boss yells, "That crazy %$#@ can't land here!"

As the plane passes overhead one more time, flaps down, at nearly stalling speed, the loudspeaker announces, "THAT AIRCRAFT IS BEING PILOTED BY A CIVILIAN. IT HAS BEEN ADVISED TO DITCH. PREPARE TO RECOVER SURVIVORS."

Once again, the small plane passes overhead, circling and an object tumbles to the deck.

The Deck Boss picks up a woman's pocketbook. Inside is a note that reads, "I have my family, with our four children aboard. I cannot ditch, please help me!"

Moments later the loudspeaker announces, "AIRCRAFT WILL ATTEMPT TO LAND! AIRCRAFT WILL ATTEMPT TO LAND! CLEAR FLIGHT DECK! CLEAR FLIGHT DECK! CRASH CREW STANDBY!"

Sirens scream as a small red tractor with a foam gun wheels into position. Crash crew personnel don their asbestos helmets. On deck, crewmen frantically push back to the sides the few aircraft left there.

Hillary and her crew are unceremoniously hustled from the deck. Moments later they reappear on a walkway beneath the bridge. Next to Hillary is a Navy Commander. She turns to him and asks, "What's that plane's chances?"

"Not very good," the Commander replies,"a civilian pilot with no carrier experience...no deck hook‚‚ā¨¬¶it's like trying to land a plane on a moving postage stamp. I wish the poor bastard luck."

The PA system barks to life again, ‚‚ā¨ŇďAIRCRAFT DOWNWIND! PREPARE FOR RECOVERY!"

A hushed silence falls on the ship. Hundreds of crewmen line every walkway on the superstructure of the carrier.

The tiny Cessna approaches from the stern, it bobs and weaves in the turbulence...it is too low‚‚ā¨¬¶frantically the Landing Officer waves it off, as the plane screams by overhead, makes a lazy turn, and tries again. On its next approach its position is better. The PA system announces, "AIRCRAFT IN THE GROOVE! RECOVER AIRCRAFT!"

The plane settles to the flight deck, a perfect three-point landing. Shapes can be seen through the windows. It comes to a stop fifty feet short of the A-deck bow. Its propeller stops.

Suddenly, the whole ship explodes in cheers and applause. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The story is from here http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0005/ch8.htm. The entire site is a good read. I would love to know more about this, I think I see a lot of time on Google coming up.

Tooz_69GIAP
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Cool story!! Landing hookless aircraft on carriers in game is very challenging. I'm working on landing an A-20 successfully, and it's mighty hard work!!

ddsflyer
04-21-2005, 03:59 PM
When you consider that a carrier can do 30kts into the wind (adding another 10kts or so)and a small Cessna stalls out at about 40kts or so, the landing would be almost vertical. On the other hand, my Baron would probably not make it.

VBF-83_Hawk
04-21-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL, it was a bloody L-19 Bird Dog. How much deck room did they think it would take?

http://broadcast.illuminatedtech.com/pages/aircraft_b/O1LandingOnMidway.jpg

Yes, this is the plane that landed....YES THIS EXACT PLANE. It is on display at the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum

ImpStarDuece
04-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Funnily enough I was just about to post something on a similar topic: planes landing on carriers without a arresting hook.

This one is from the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces serise on the Spitfire MKV.

When the Battle of Malta began the RAF was really caught flat footed. The only modern single seat type available to defend the island was the Hurricane. Going up against the Bf109F it was both out numbered and outclassed. It was clear that Spitfires would be needed to be based out of Malta.

Initially the RAF decided to fly ferry flights off the carrier HMS Eagle. Launching from off the coast of Algeria the Spits flew a dangerous course to Malta, starting in March 1942. Eagle could only deliver 15 at a time and after the first flight she could deliver less as air activity forced the RN to station more Martlets aboard for self-defence. Eagle delivered 15, then 9 then 7 Spitfires in 3 runs but suffered damage to her steering gear on the third run.

Desperate for help Churchill made a personal request to Roosevelt to see if the USS Wasp could be used to transport a batch of spitfires. Roosevelt agreed and on April 10 she took on 47 Spitfires, in addition to her own 12 Wildcats for self-defence.

The run was a success and 46 Spitfires made it to Malta (one crashed on carrier take off). Still more were needed and once again a requst was made for the use of the Wasp. This time both Wasp and Eagle sallied into the Med, delivering a total of 60 Spitfires to Malta.

One of the pilots fliying the dangerous transfer flight was a Canadian, Plt Officer Jerry Smith, flying for the RAF. Smith took off the carrier Wasp only to find that his external tank wasn't delivering fuel. He decided to orbit the carriers until all of the Spitfires had taken off. Then, rather than ditch his fighter into the sea, he decided to try a deck landing despite the fact that his Spitfire lacked an arrestor hook. After one baulked attempt he made a reasonable landing, and with some harsh braking managed to halt the Spitfire some 6 feet short of the end of the flight deck.

The LSO on Smith's landing attempt was none other than Lt Cmdr David McCampbell, who would later go on to become the leding US NAvy Ace of the war. The crew of the Wasp were so impressed with Smith's landing that they presented him with US Navy carrier wings to commemorate the event.

gerhardius
04-22-2005, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you consider that a carrier can do 30kts into the wind (adding another 10kts or so)and a small Cessna stalls out at about 40kts or so, the landing would be almost vertical. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine if we had a flyable Fi-156 Storch: you could probably land it on a carrier going in bow first.

actionhank1786
04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gerhardius:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you consider that a carrier can do 30kts into the wind (adding another 10kts or so)and a small Cessna stalls out at about 40kts or so, the landing would be almost vertical. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine if we had a flyable Fi-156 Storch: you could probably land it on a carrier going in bow first. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could land the storch no problem from the rear...if you could keep up with the thing! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
04-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I have a link at home that I'll post later, showing a C-130 flying off and on the Kittyhawk - sans tailhook! The pilot of that plane was the son of Jimmy Flatly, skipper of Air Group 10 (I think it was ten) aboard the Yorktown (CV-10) on her first war cruise.

Oilburner_TAW
04-22-2005, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
I have a link at home that I'll post later, showing a C-130 flying off and on the Kittyhawk - sans tailhook! The pilot of that plane was the son of Jimmy Flatly, skipper of Air Group 10 (I think it was ten) aboard the Yorktown (CV-10) on her first war cruise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to mention the same thing. That's the most brass nuts landing i've ever heard of.

IV_JG51_Razor
04-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Here's the link: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0097.shtml

I guess I was wrong about the Kittyhawk. It was the Forestal.

IV_JG51_Razor
04-22-2005, 06:43 PM
As long as we're on about carrier ops, check this out! http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0050.shtml

Crash_Moses
04-22-2005, 07:57 PM
The last mission in Keiron's Castaways mini campaign gives you the option of landing a B-25 on a carrier after escaping from the Japanese. I did it first try. Never be able to do that again in a million years.

But what I really want to know is...how the heck did she get four kids in that thing!

S!

CM

IKG26Redcoat
04-23-2005, 02:38 PM
It was also done when Narvik in Norway was evacuated, the surviving 10 hurricanes of 46squadron,flew onto HMS Glorious in the North Sea without hooks.