PDA

View Full Version : FAO Oleg: Case proving inaccuracies in the Hurricane Mk.1 model



John_Stag
02-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I know it's a bit late as far as FB/AEP/PF goes, but I have information proving that the Hurricane Mk.1 as portrayed in the sim is innacurate. If it is too late to consider making adjustments to the current model I understand; however I believe this information should be applied to the aircraft to be used in BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The areas concerned are the flaps system (the flaps on the Hurricane are fully controllable) and the lack of Emergancy Boost Override (WEP). Since anectdotal evidence is with some justification considered to be insufficient, I have not said anything up to this point; I'd rather have hard facts to back up any claims I make. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My first bit of evidence is anecdotal, but I include it for two reasons; It demonstrates just how resistant the Merlin II was to overheating, and also i think its a pretty good story. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It highlights the use of Emergancy Boost Override on a Hurricane Mk.1 during the battle of France, 1939:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pete: We always called it the 'panic boost', although on reflection this was a bit unkind-if it was going to mean the difference between life and death for you or even for the enemy aircraft, then pull and be ****ed! It cut out the Automatic Boost Control (ABC) which gave the Merlin normal aspiration at sea-level and gradually fed on the supercharge as the aircraft climbed to compensate for the reduced air density. Using the plug you could get 6 (later 12, then 18 as the higher octane-rated fuel became available) psi from take-off. It probably shortened the engine life but they were pretty tough and most of them had a short life, for other reasons, anyway...

...Peter Ayerst: No.1 (Squadron) had joined us on the aerodrome for a combined patrol, and incidentally one of them caught the wire of our R/T aerial and made a bad landing with some damage, but I was Duty Pilot and took off after a Dornier which had flown over rouvres at about 25000 ft. i pulled the boost override straighht from take-off and climbed flat out in an easterly direction as the Jerry was heading back to Germany. By the time I got close to him we were well across the border and he found some thick cloud before i could get in a shot. I gave up and turned for home when I spotted nine single-engine kites in a loose formation, and thinking they were one of our two Squadrons I went to join them. just as I was settling down to slot in at the rear I saw the black crosses on their wings-109s!

I took a wild squirt at the nearest then stood the Hurricane on its nose and pulled the boost override again. There was some light cloud to the west at about 3000 feet and I headed for that with tracers whistling past my ears. Out of the corner of my eye i spotted another nin 109s (and I learned later that the total was in fact 27) but I got into the cloud and relaxed a little, until I realised that I had spent practically the entire flight with the plug pulled, and was just about out of fuel. I spotted a field (Nancy) with French fighters underneath, and landed: as I finished my run the prop stopped.

The History of 73 Squadron Part One, Don Minterne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now as anecdotal evidence is not enough, I haven't posted this before, but this morning an Item came into my possession which says EXACTLY what was on the Hurricane Mk.1 in 1938; a copy of the Pilot's Handbook:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108570476_frontcover.jpg

In the manual it describes the operation of the Emergancy Boost Override:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571806_exhibita.jpg

And also the fact that the flaps were fully controllable:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571983_exhibitb.jpg

I've only had a quick glance so far, but considering that a new set of addons is all but immanent, I thought it best to get the information I've discovered to where it can do most good as quickly as possible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I know it's a bit late in the day, but if you could bung these changes in with the next addons, I would be very greatful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To summarise:

The Hurricane Mk.1 has WEP, and also fully controllable flaps.

PS: could you also bung 73 Squadron into the Squadron list? Don't worry about the badge, Many thanks.

If its of any help, I can send you a copy of the.pdf. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Spectre_USA
02-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Good find, Stagger-man.

I'd love to see a bunch more of these for other aircraft, but are
sadly disappearing as time goes by.

Excellent source for sim writers of say, a Battle of Britian
sime f'rinstance....


:-)

3.JG51_BigBear
02-16-2005, 05:15 PM
That handbook is sweet. Must be a great source of information.

p1ngu666
02-16-2005, 06:07 PM
what was in a plane mag i got recently that story http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

think that hurri had a fixed pitch prop too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Stiglr
02-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Not to be difficult, but...

that description of the control panel indicator does NOT state very clearly how "controllable" the flaps were, does it?

Did you ever consider that the flaps might take some time to get from UP to DOWN, or might be damaged or jammed somewhere in between, and that the indicator merely showed where they were, physically, at the time you looked at it?

It'd seem to me that some instructions would follow, or some explanation of what, for example "the three stages" might represent, if in fact a Hurri had three stages of flaps.

I'm looking now at a photo of a Sea Hurri Mk1b 'pit in the book, Cockpit by Donald Nijboer. I can see the flap indicator, just to the right of the pilot's right thigh. The little indicator has 7 or 8 notches drawn on it, and a litle white arrow marker. The actual lever to operate the flaps (or the gear, the same lever seems to actuate BOTH, albeit using two different slots!!) doesn't look like it has ANY detentes or notches in it, just a wide slot with UP at the top and DOWN at the bottom.

Not very conclusive....perhaps it had a friction that would allow you to move it within a range....but perhaps it also was a "one shot" deal; up or down and that was it.

Buzzsaw-
02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Salute

The Hurricane did have multiple flap settings, unlike the Spitfire which only had two, either up or down.

Unfortunately the Hurricane is treated the same as the Spitfire in the game.

Oleg has been notified of this problem in the past, but I guess it is not a high priority as far as 'fixes' go.

In any case, the Hurricane's flaps were not allowed to be deployed above 120 mph IAS, which is 192 kph. These flaps were quite flimsy pieces of metal, not capable of enduring high speeds without damage.

The Hurricane II manual says, 30 degrees of flaps should be deployed during landing when speed reaches 120 mph IAS. At 90-100 mph IAS, 60 degrees of flaps are reccommended.

The whole question of 'combat flaps' in the game is one of the most unrealistic aspects of it.

Very few aircraft actually could deploy flaps at high speeds. The only ones I am aware of which are currently in the game are the P-38 and P-51, which had hydraulically activated flaps which were of heavy grade aluminium. Even then, only 5 degrees of flaps were deployed in high speed situations.

Aircraft in the game can deploy 'combat flaps' at ANY speeds. Which is completely incorrect. Even the P-51 was limited to 425 mph IAS for the maximum speed at which it could deploy the 5 degrees of flaps.

Aircraft such as the 109's are completely ahistorical in their ability to use flaps at high speeds, as are most other aircraft in the game. Typically flaps would need to be completely retracted by 300 kph.

Anyone who is interested in a copy of the Hurricane II manual, PM me, and I will send you a zip file.

John_Stag
02-16-2005, 11:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Not to be difficult, but...

that description of the control panel indicator does NOT state very clearly how "controllable" the flaps were, does it?

Did you ever consider that the flaps might take some time to get from UP to DOWN, or might be damaged or jammed somewhere in between, and that the indicator merely showed where they were, physically, at the time you looked at it?

It'd seem to me that some instructions would follow, or some explanation of what, for example "the three stages" might represent, if in fact a Hurri had three stages of flaps.

I'm looking now at a photo of a Sea Hurri Mk1b 'pit in the book, _Cockpit_ by Donald Nijboer. I can see the flap indicator, just to the right of the pilot's right thigh. The little indicator has 7 or 8 notches drawn on it, and a litle white arrow marker. The actual lever to operate the flaps (or the gear, the same lever seems to actuate BOTH, albeit using two different slots!!) doesn't look like it has ANY detentes or notches in it, just a wide slot with UP at the top and DOWN at the bottom.

Not very conclusive....perhaps it had a friction that would allow you to move it within a range....but perhaps it also was a "one shot" deal; up or down and that was it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you'll agree this is a bit more concrete http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif :

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108622424_exhibitc.jpg

@ Pingu: Dead right; the pages I've read so far deal with the earliest varients; fabric covered wings and two bladed fixed pitch wooden Watts propellors; a version I'd love to see ingame at some point. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ImpStarDuece
02-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Bump for this, simply becaus A) I love Hurris
B) I love Hurris, and
C) I Love Hurris

Gunny124
02-17-2005, 07:49 AM
A bump for my squadron mate.

JG53Frankyboy
02-17-2005, 08:56 AM
count me in !
the Hurricane , sure the MkIIb , will be an important plane on the , most propably, comming Singapore map !

did you send your sources via mail to maddoxgames , a much better way !

he already changed the supercharger settings of the MkI from an incorrect two speed charger to a correct one speed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crazyivan1970
02-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Wohhaaaa Spectre http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Long time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif


@John_Stag... it`s never to late to adress issues that proven to be wrong. Hope you did e-mail it to pf@1c.ru

Cheers

Stiglr
02-17-2005, 10:50 AM
@John_Stag:

Yes, that is FAR more illuminating! Good catch.

So now it appears that you simply move the lever towards UP or DOWN, and watch the indicator until it gets to the setting you want and release the lever, huh?

I also notice a red doohickey in the middle of that lever array, which I suppose is some sort of safety gate to keep the pilot from "crossing up" adjustments to either the gear or flaps when adjusting the other. I imagine that might be easy to do, what with that thing being against your right leg all during the flight.

I have also found that pilot manuals are often the key that unlock the secrets of an accurate FM!

geetarman
02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I could care less about the Hurricane, but great work Stag!! Maybe you should be recruited to ferret out the truth with all the teeth-knashing going on about the other planes in the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A regular Sherlock Holmes. Well done!

I hope Oleg changes (fixes) the Hurri.

John_Stag
02-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Stig, yep. As far as I understand it the lever is spring-loaded and you hold it in position until the desired setting is reached. The undercarriage section does have a "safety catch" to prevent going in the wrong direction. there's some other interesting and potentially relevant stuff in there which could turn BoB into the ultimate Hurricane sim, simply due to not having this amount of detail on the other aircraft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@ crazyIvan: I didn't, but I will now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stiglr
02-17-2005, 12:36 PM
In actual use, I imagine this setup would be quite tricky.

With such a low speed threshhold for damaging them, I can't see how they'd "train" pilots to use the flaps in any kind of "maneuver" setting.

It'd be really hard to be doing maneuvers in a dogfight, then have the presence of mind to manhandle that lever (it's on the RIGHT, and I'd assume that hand would normally be on the spade grip, right?) and watch the indicator go to "the right setting", which would mean "head totally inside the office" for several seconds.

Those planes that had a certain number of 'detentes' or flap settings levels would be MUCH more utilitarian in all flight profiles. All you'd have to do is be mindful of your speed, and remember where your flap setting is at any one time. I also notice many planes have a flap control on the LEFT side of the cockpit or control panel, much better ergonomically.

John_Stag
02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Combat flaps are a luxury that very few aircraft actually had at that time; The only fighters I know for sure to have them are the P51, P47, and P61. with others, deploying flaps in combat conditions is definitely NOT recommended! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AWL_Spinner
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Edit : Beaten to it by the guys above! Still, we all seem to agree on the flap thing!

---

Also an interesting point about how few aircraft actually had "combat" flaps that were of actual use in combat (i.e. designed to take the load at speed and provide aerodynamic advantage). I'd love to hear more on this as I'm sure their usage is excessive in the game.

I've read quite a few books recently by WWII pilots and in all their detailed discussions of air combat you hardly ever hear mention of flaps (although I do tend to gravitate toward RAF accounts - as indicated above certain types flown by other airforces may have had this as common practice).

One other thing - I love the presence of the conformal droptanks on the later Spits we've recently gained. I'm reading The Big Show at the moment and every sortie in Spitfire IX's over France seems to be made with droptanks. It's nice to be able to recreate those things.

DGC763
02-17-2005, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buzzsaw-:
Salute

The Hurricane did have multiple flap settings, unlike the Spitfire which only had two, either up or down.

Unfortunately the Hurricane is treated the same as the Spitfire in the game.

Oleg has been notified of this problem in the past, but I guess it is not a high priority as far as 'fixes' go.

In any case, the Hurricane's flaps were not allowed to be deployed above 120 mph IAS, which is 192 kph. These flaps were quite flimsy pieces of metal, not capable of enduring high speeds without damage.

The Hurricane II manual says, 30 degrees of flaps should be deployed during landing when speed reaches 120 mph IAS. At 90-100 mph IAS, 60 degrees of flaps are reccommended.

The whole question of 'combat flaps' in the game is one of the most unrealistic aspects of it.

Very few aircraft actually could deploy flaps at high speeds. The only ones I am aware of which are currently in the game are the P-38 and P-51, which had hydraulically activated flaps which were of heavy grade aluminium. Even then, only 5 degrees of flaps were deployed in high speed situations.

Aircraft in the game can deploy 'combat flaps' at ANY speeds. Which is completely incorrect. Even the P-51 was limited to 425 mph IAS for the maximum speed at which it could deploy the 5 degrees of flaps.

Aircraft such as the 109's are completely ahistorical in their ability to use flaps at high speeds, as are most other aircraft in the game. Typically flaps would need to be completely retracted by 300 kph.

Anyone who is interested in a copy of the Hurricane II manual, PM me, and I will send you a zip file. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buzzsaw I could not agree more. The use of combat flap especially and flaps in general in game is as you correctly state completely ahistorical. This is something than I wish they would change. It must be changed for BoB. I thing a 50km/h overspeed limit would be reasonable, anymore and the flap should either jam, deform or depart.

DIRTY-MAC
02-18-2005, 11:19 AM
totally agree bump

Oleg_Maddox
02-18-2005, 12:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Stag:
I know it's a bit late as far as FB/AEP/PF goes, but I have information proving that the Hurricane Mk.1 as portrayed in the sim is innacurate. If it is too late to consider making adjustments to the current model I understand; however I believe this information should be applied to the aircraft to be used in BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The areas concerned are the flaps system (the flaps on the Hurricane are fully controllable) and the lack of Emergancy Boost Override (WEP). Since anectdotal evidence is with some justification considered to be insufficient, I have not said anything up to this point; I'd rather have hard facts to back up any claims I make. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My first bit of evidence is anecdotal, but I include it for two reasons; It demonstrates just how resistant the Merlin II was to overheating, and also i think its a pretty good story. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It highlights the use of Emergancy Boost Override on a Hurricane Mk.1 during the battle of France, 1939:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pete: We always called it the 'panic boost', although on reflection this was a bit unkind-if it was going to mean the difference between life and death for you or even for the enemy aircraft, then pull and be ****ed! It cut out the Automatic Boost Control (ABC) which gave the Merlin normal aspiration at sea-level and gradually fed on the supercharge as the aircraft climbed to compensate for the reduced air density. Using the plug you could get 6 (later 12, then 18 as the higher octane-rated fuel became available) psi from take-off. It probably shortened the engine life but they were pretty tough and most of them had a short life, for other reasons, anyway...

...Peter Ayerst: No.1 (Squadron) had joined us on the aerodrome for a combined patrol, and incidentally one of them caught the wire of our R/T aerial and made a bad landing with some damage, but I was Duty Pilot and took off after a Dornier which had flown over rouvres at about 25000 ft. i pulled the boost override straighht from take-off and climbed flat out in an easterly direction as the Jerry was heading back to Germany. By the time I got close to him we were well across the border and he found some thick cloud before i could get in a shot. I gave up and turned for home when I spotted nine single-engine kites in a loose formation, and thinking they were one of our two Squadrons I went to join them. just as I was settling down to slot in at the rear I saw the black crosses on their wings-109s!

I took a wild squirt at the nearest then stood the Hurricane on its nose and pulled the boost override again. There was some light cloud to the west at about 3000 feet and I headed for that with tracers whistling past my ears. Out of the corner of my eye i spotted another nin 109s (and I learned later that the total was in fact 27) but I got into the cloud and relaxed a little, until I realised that I had spent practically the entire flight with the plug pulled, and was just about out of fuel. I spotted a field (Nancy) with French fighters underneath, and landed: as I finished my run the prop stopped.

The History of 73 Squadron Part One, Don Minterne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now as anecdotal evidence is not enough, I haven't posted this before, but this morning an Item came into my possession which says EXACTLY what was on the Hurricane Mk.1 in 1938; a copy of the Pilot's Handbook:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108570476_frontcover.jpg

In the manual it describes the operation of the Emergancy Boost Override:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571806_exhibita.jpg

And also the fact that the flaps were fully controllable:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571983_exhibitb.jpg

I've only had a quick glance so far, but considering that a new set of addons is all but immanent, I thought it best to get the information I've discovered to where it can do most good as quickly as possible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I know it's a bit late in the day, but if you could bung these changes in with the next addons, I would be very greatful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To summarise:

_The Hurricane Mk.1 has WEP, and also fully controllable flaps._

PS: could you also bung 73 Squadron into the Squadron list? Don't worry about the badge, Many thanks.

If its of any help, I can send you a copy of the.pdf. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be good if you will copy me this manual and sent to PF address.
The thing is that I have several manuals (reprints) for the Hurricanes, but in all of them such thing absent as well as noticed about only to positions of flaps - "open" and "closed".

Oleg_Maddox
02-18-2005, 12:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Stag:
I know it's a bit late as far as FB/AEP/PF goes, but I have information proving that the Hurricane Mk.1 as portrayed in the sim is innacurate. If it is too late to consider making adjustments to the current model I understand; however I believe this information should be applied to the aircraft to be used in BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The areas concerned are the flaps system (the flaps on the Hurricane are fully controllable) and the lack of Emergancy Boost Override (WEP). Since anectdotal evidence is with some justification considered to be insufficient, I have not said anything up to this point; I'd rather have hard facts to back up any claims I make. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My first bit of evidence is anecdotal, but I include it for two reasons; It demonstrates just how resistant the Merlin II was to overheating, and also i think its a pretty good story. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

It highlights the use of Emergancy Boost Override on a Hurricane Mk.1 during the battle of France, 1939:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pete: We always called it the 'panic boost', although on reflection this was a bit unkind-if it was going to mean the difference between life and death for you or even for the enemy aircraft, then pull and be ****ed! It cut out the Automatic Boost Control (ABC) which gave the Merlin normal aspiration at sea-level and gradually fed on the supercharge as the aircraft climbed to compensate for the reduced air density. Using the plug you could get 6 (later 12, then 18 as the higher octane-rated fuel became available) psi from take-off. It probably shortened the engine life but they were pretty tough and most of them had a short life, for other reasons, anyway...

...Peter Ayerst: No.1 (Squadron) had joined us on the aerodrome for a combined patrol, and incidentally one of them caught the wire of our R/T aerial and made a bad landing with some damage, but I was Duty Pilot and took off after a Dornier which had flown over rouvres at about 25000 ft. i pulled the boost override straighht from take-off and climbed flat out in an easterly direction as the Jerry was heading back to Germany. By the time I got close to him we were well across the border and he found some thick cloud before i could get in a shot. I gave up and turned for home when I spotted nine single-engine kites in a loose formation, and thinking they were one of our two Squadrons I went to join them. just as I was settling down to slot in at the rear I saw the black crosses on their wings-109s!

I took a wild squirt at the nearest then stood the Hurricane on its nose and pulled the boost override again. There was some light cloud to the west at about 3000 feet and I headed for that with tracers whistling past my ears. Out of the corner of my eye i spotted another nin 109s (and I learned later that the total was in fact 27) but I got into the cloud and relaxed a little, until I realised that I had spent practically the entire flight with the plug pulled, and was just about out of fuel. I spotted a field (Nancy) with French fighters underneath, and landed: as I finished my run the prop stopped.

The History of 73 Squadron Part One, Don Minterne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now as anecdotal evidence is not enough, I haven't posted this before, but this morning an Item came into my possession which says EXACTLY what was on the Hurricane Mk.1 in 1938; a copy of the Pilot's Handbook:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108570476_frontcover.jpg

In the manual it describes the operation of the Emergancy Boost Override:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571806_exhibita.jpg

And also the fact that the flaps were fully controllable:

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/394_1108571983_exhibitb.jpg

I've only had a quick glance so far, but considering that a new set of addons is all but immanent, I thought it best to get the information I've discovered to where it can do most good as quickly as possible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I know it's a bit late in the day, but if you could bung these changes in with the next addons, I would be very greatful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To summarise:

_The Hurricane Mk.1 has WEP, and also fully controllable flaps._

PS: could you also bung 73 Squadron into the Squadron list? Don't worry about the badge, Many thanks.

If its of any help, I can send you a copy of the.pdf. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The different merlins had different resistance to overheating... not only because of boosted type or more power type, but also due to work of cooling system on differen speeds and values.

John_Stag
02-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Fair enough; Peter Ayerst's story is anecdotal, and I agree that solid data should be used where available. Besides, I actually enjoy the engine management aspect of the sim. If better information becomes available on the subject (which I don't currently have), I would be prepared to bring it up and share the information I had. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But as far as the flaps and EBO go, I believe that the case is proven. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

John_Stag
02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Oleg, just seen your first post regarding sending you a copy of the manual to the PF address.

The whole file weighs in at 450mb, so e-mailing is not an option, I'm afraid. I can send you a cd by snail mail, but I'll need an address. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p1ngu666
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Stag:
Oleg, just seen your first post regarding sending you a copy of the manual to the PF address.

The whole file weighs in at 450mb, so e-mailing is not an option, I'm afraid. I can send you a cd by snail mail, but I'll need an address. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how many pages?
u could make it greyscale, and low quality, and lower res abit too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
u can get image batch converters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

John_Stag
02-18-2005, 04:45 PM
the manual is in 3 .pdf files; one for just the front cover, one for a diagram of the fuel system, and one for the main body of text.

I guess I could send it as a number of screenshots, but the .pdf would be far easier to navigate.

John_Stag
02-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Bump.

Need real world full address.

nakamura_kenji
02-23-2005, 07:20 AM
Anyone one else have problem eninge stop under manovering but cant start again even level flight >_<

John_Stag
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Yep.

Don't let the engine stop.

Sorry, mate, but it works for me. Never thought it was worth a grumble.

Skycat_2
02-24-2005, 03:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nakamura_kenji:
Anyone one else have problem eninge stop under manovering but cant start again even level flight >_< <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just started a Hurricane Mk.I campaign, and I had to get used to this as well. If you stall your engine, go into a shallow dive and then restart your engine; it usually catches the first time for me and throttles up quickly.

As John_Stag said, the best solution is to avoid stalling your engine in the first place. It's caused by negative Gs starving the fuel flow to the carbureator (the Hurricane does not have a fuel-injected engine like most of the other planes). Practice with it and get a feel for what causes the engine to stall.

If you want to decrease altitude quickly, inverting and doing a Split-S manuever may be better than simply pushing your stick forward and aiming your nose toward the ground.