PDA

View Full Version : A few newbie questions on IL-2 Sturmovik (Original)

rijnton1944
11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Before you think my questions are stupid, I would like to tell you that I am completely new with games/flight sims.
The other day I bought Il-2 Sturmovik and Forgotten Battles as well and I started to install Il-2 Sturmovik and tried to play a little with it.
Of course I understand that I have to practice a lot, especially because I am a complete newbie. However I have 2 questions already and I hope you can give me some advice.
1) With setup I have to choose a setting for the videocard under Video. However I don't find my recently bought XFX Geforce 6600GT there. As far as I understand this brand new card should be a rather fast medium class card. The only Geforce I find there are Geforce 2 and 3. Which setting would be the best for me ? (For what it is worth: My system is with a Pentium 4 2,26Ghz and 512MB RAM)
2) Although I have to practice of course and study the manual, I already tried to play a Single Mission. However it is not clear to me how I should proceed. Under briefing I find a map with some goals. Am I supposed to fly in the given direction using the compass and how do I know that I have reached the goal, because there are no distances given ? Should I look at the landmarks on the map and find them on the ground below ?
Like I said I am a complete newbie, so I hope you forgive me when the questions are dumb

ZG77_Lignite
11-22-2004, 02:27 PM
First chose the GF3 option, then chose the Custom option. In the drop down lists, try S3TC and Bilinnear filtering. You may turn up the filtering (trilinnear, Aniso) however be aware that higher settings give a significant hit in performance, I'm guessing you won't want to do that (opinion only, feel free to try)

Your second question depends upon what Difficulty Settings you are flying at. Under all but the hardest the in-game map shows your aicraft and where you are in relation to your waypoints (I believe 'M' is the default key, however look in your 'Controls section to find key assignments). It is normally best to leave 'No Instant Success' unchecked, this allows one to advance in campaigns without successfully compleating mission goals. To end a mission, press escape and 'end mission', whenever you want to (normally after land at your home base).

Note: 'No Instant Success' is part of Forgotten Battles, not the original Il-2, I'm a bit confused which game you have. Remember that Forgotten Battles contains all of the content of original Il-2, with many additions and improvements (it is not necessary to own/install Il-2 to play FB, other than to support the wonderful developer Oleg Maddox and team, which is worth it). Ace Expansion Pack is available for Forgotten Battles, and Pacific Fighters can be either stand alone or installed into FB/AEP. Hope that helps, its a bit confusing, so feel free to ask lots of questions.

rijnton1944
11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks ZG77_Lignite for your quick reply.
I didn't know about the possibilty to see the map during the game. Made it a lot easier!
I have some more questions indeed and hope you can help me further:
1) During the game I sometimes hear instructions about "height" and then e.g. "05". What does that mean, that is, what measurement is that ? I suppose it isn't in feet ?!
2) I don't exactly understand what you mean with your answer to my first question. As far as I can see, under Video I have to choose between e.g. Custom and Geforce 3 (and so on). I don't see an option to choose GF3 and subsequently for Custom. Or do you mean that I should try GF3 first and if that doesnt give acceptable results then try Custom with the suggested settings ?
(Btw, my framerate is around 40 now. Is that a good value ?)
3) Should I choose OpenGL or DirectX ?

Is this btw the right place in the forum for questions like mine, or should I post them under IL-2Help ?

EURO_Snoopy
11-22-2004, 04:11 PM
These pages should help you out:

IL2 Graphics setup (http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/graphicsil2.htm)

Tweaking Forgotten Battles (http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/tweaks.htm)

Luckyboys Guide (http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/tech_lbguide.htm)

and also the FAQ below my sig, welcome to the games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dieg777
11-22-2004, 04:26 PM
I have replied in il2 help please see here but in answer to specifics above
1) 05 is 500 meters
3) OpenGL the game is optimised for this.

rijnton1944
11-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks EURO_Snoopy.
I took a look at Il-2 Graphics setup but didn't see my card (6600GT) there. Would it be best to take the advice for the GF4 or for the 6800GT ?

Ankanor
11-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Welcome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I say, the 6800, the 6600 uses the same technology, but scaled down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
If I understood you correctly, you have installed the IL-2 Sturmovik. Install the Forgotten battles instead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif You may want to buy the Aces Expansion Pack, I sound like an EB dealer, but you will receive quite a few things.
40 FPS is good. The standard evaluation track around is the BlackDeath, found in the pack of tracks that comes with the game - Forgotten Battles(FB). Suggest you try it.

Feel free to ask questions, we all started from Zero http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif or in my case, BF109 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Korolov
11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
IL-2 Sturmovik was released before the 6600 and 6800 cards hit the market. You should choose the closest equivalent (GF2/GF3/GF4) in the video card setup.

Additionally, be prepared to buy two more addons to Forgotten Battles (the sequel to IL-2 Sturmovik - almost entirely the same thing, but better graphics, effects and more planes) - Aces Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters.

AEP adds numerous new planes for a more diverse planeset that encompasses almost the entire European theatre. Pacific Fighters adds carriers and a large chunk of the pacific theatre as well as planes unique to the PTO.

Welcome to the community!

rijnton1944
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
(Although I also replied again in the other thread, I repeat it here and think it's best to "stay" in this thread to keep things better organised)
Thanks for all your replies and help. Very nice and friendly forum here. Little by little I am getting a bettter understanding now. I think the biggest problem for me is that I am a complete newbie with gaming in general. However I want to learn as much as possible and as fast as possible, because these flight sims (and IL-2 particularly) look very addicting to me.
So to summarize, I understand that it's best to forget the original IL-2 for a while and install Forgotten Battles ? And practice this game until I have some more experience after which I also can install Uberdemon to have more options ?
@Dieg777: I still have to take a better look at the Uberdemon site (at first sight it looks rather complicated to me). But is it with this tool possible to import missions from IL-2 into FB, after which IL-2 can be uninstalled ? Or should the original IL-2 always be installed next to FB for that purpose ?

Aeronautico
11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
IL-2 original is very nice, but since it is entirely contained in FB (beside campaigns and single missions which you can import though), it's virtually useless now. I guess it was a cheap deal though, so you only did the right thing supporting the developer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

UberDemon's software is a thitd party additional single missions' generator (and multiplayer's too). Very good as good are other programs and enhancements you'll read about and find around, but not necessary at this stage. Yet.

I strongly suggest to add AEP and PF when you can, 'cause beside quantity and variety, quality too has improved in the series.

And patch the game too! What it ONLY takes, depending on what you install, is:

IL-2: Patch 1.1a/1.2/1.2ov (optional)
FB: Patch 1.22
FB + AEP: Patch 2.01/2.04
FB + AEP + PF: Patch 3.01m
PF: Patch 3.01

Aeronautico
11-23-2004, 07:31 AM
How to import IL-2 missions and campaigns into FB before uninstalling the former:

Simply go in the main IL-2 folder, then in "Missions", open "Campaign" and alternatively "DE" and "RU", copy the 3 folders overall you find there (no need of anything else), and paste them in the corresponding folders in FB main directory. Very similar procedure for single missions and on-line stuff ("Net").

You'll find also loads of custom made campaigns, missions and skins over the sites you'll learn to know, but no need to rush!

Enjoy!

pettera
11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Flying is very hard at start so I suggest you start using Easy in the Difficulty setup. That includes if you try a campaign at first. Makes you a little like Superman but setting the diffculty to Normal is quite challenging. Its easy to get bored if its to difficult initially.

Then try the Quick Model Builder (QMB) and select some easy targets or just fly around. Learning to take off in this manner is not so easy because you have to land first. QMB always start in the air as opposed to all other flying. :-) But, landing is far more difficult than taking off.

When you have learned the basics of flying switch to normal difficulty but keep icons on unless you are very clever at spotting planes.

Great to have you with us.

Petter

PS. Switch to IL2/Forgotten Battles (FB) immediately. Don't bother with the original IL2. The original is fine but FB is better. Also get the Ace Expansion Pack (AEP) to get the latest fixes. Not necessary for having a lot of fun but required if you ever want to play online - which is tremendous fun.

ZG77_Lignite
11-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Rijnton, it sounds like you are getting everything figured out, but I'll try and clarify my advice anyway (just in case it helps). In the 'Il2setup.exe' program, when you chose a graphic card, that is actually just setting a 'preset'. By choosing 'Custom' after choosing a preset (for example, Maximum Settings) you may then modify the advanced options as you wish (one may start out with 'Custom', however many of the options are dificult to understand).

Regarding the 'filtering' and 'compression' dropdown lists: Filtering gives improved smoothing at long (and short, but less noticeable) distances, and Compression is a performance (frames/second) enhancer. I believe it is generally agreed that Nvidia based cards operate best with S3TC compression enabled, and filtering is a personal preferance (how fast you require the game to run, compared to visual accuity). These are easily changed, feel free to experiment.

Note: When Mirrors are enabled (only some aircraft in FB have mirrors, namely P40,La5,P47,?), the game may crash, either disable the mirrors (a key defined in 'conrtols', disable from an aircraft that doesn't have mirrors, then you will be able to fly an aircraft that does), or disable S3TC compression.

rijnton1944
11-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks again you all.
In the meantime I installed FB instead of the original IL-2 and tried it for a first look with a single mission for USSR. Unfortunately I have a few questions again after that and I hope you don't mind:
1) After I installed the game from the cd I could start it without the cd.(Although thinking about it now I am not sure anymore). But after applying the patches (I took 1.21 over 1.0 and then 1.22 over 1.21) I had to put the cd in to be able to play. Is that normal or did I do something wrong ?
2) After choosing the single mission it took almost a minute before it was loaded. Is this normal too ?
3) I was in the air immediately. Shouldn't I have to take off from the ground etc. ?
4) I couldn't see the flight indicator/art. horizon on the instrument panel when I switched down with the HAT switch. It seemed to be hidden behind the stick (or how do you call that?)
Hope you can help me with this too. Thanks in advance.
Ton

avroman
11-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Great thread! Here I am, a beginner working my way through the original IL2, not wanting to miss the missions/campaigns. I had no idea that I could import them into FB. Woohoo!

ZG77_Lignite
11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
1: The game will not (normally) run without the CD, patched or out of the box. However there is a file that will fix this, as long as you've already purchased the game

2: Depending upon the number of objects in the game, load times can vary from short to long (some online dogfight missions have taken as long as 20 minutes for my slow dial-up to load, offline will be faster, but may take quite some time)

3: 2 things here: the mission may be designed to be an 'Air Start' (common terminology), or there may be a Difficulty Setting set to 'Air Starts', check the settings panel (Note all your settings, from joysticks to control keys to difficulty will be reset with FB).

4: Depending upon the aircraft, some guages may be difficult (or even impossible) to see, it all depends upon the layout of the cockpit which are modeled as realistically as possible. We have all cried and begged for an improvement, and expect Battle Of Britain (coming in the next year or two) to solve this problem. Currently no fix, other than to use the Speed Bar (Speed Bar is common terminology for the red numbers at bottom left of screen).

rijnton1944
11-24-2004, 04:13 AM
ZG-77_Lignite (and of course all the others), you are really a great help for me. Nevertheless I think I still don't understand the settings subject. It's still a little confusing for me. So the (first) settings, choosing graphic card AND e.g. custom settings for that are all done with the set-up exe and from the same list ? In other words, first I choose e.g GF4 from the list and after, that while GF4 is in the window/bar at the top, I scroll down to e.g. Custom in the same list where (in the given example) GF4 and the other cards models are listed ? And/or : the same list contains the card models AND the modification options for them as well ?
I already posted a question under IL-2Help about the following, but maybe you know an answer: Somewhere I read that it should be better to stay with an older NVidia driver. Is this also true for the latest cards and drivers ? Last week I bought the brand new Geforce 6600GT and installed the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site. However I noticed a few minor "freezes" while playing. Or has this nothing to do with the drivers ?

AlGroover
11-24-2004, 05:22 AM
I have a Ti4200 based card and in my experience, run the latest drivers you can get. I, and many others have also got noticeably smoother performance by installing the Java reader from Sun microsystems. Sorry, I can't remember the address but there was a long thread about this a couple of weeks ago. To improve your gameplay, you might also like to check out all the 'user defined' options in the control setup.

avroman
11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:
.....I noticed a few minor "freezes" while playing. Or has this nothing to do with the drivers ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the same issue when I run the original IL2 (haven't tried FB yet). Nothing too serious, just small 1 sec freezes that happen 2 or 3 times during a mission. How annoying they are depends on when they happen. I'll look into that Sun Java thing and see if it helps.

Skycat_2
11-25-2004, 09:50 PM
You've already decided to use "Forgotten Battles" instead of "IL-2," and that's a good choice I think. However, I'd like to take a moment to explain that the graphics were upped considerably in FB over IL-2, especially when you use the "Perfect" setting that gives you the realistic water. Realistic looks nice for lightweight missions and sight-seeing, but personally speaking I usually bump the lanscape settings down to "Excellent" or lower to make the missions more playable. Also, the largest maps take up more of your memory (particularly the ones with a lot of water) and this can cause your performance to lage. Putting a large quantity of aircraft in the air at once, especially in the same place, and/or a lot of ground objects shooting flak will cause slow frames or stuttering. Video drivers can help but so can turning off background programs like Antivirus. I doubled my RAM from 512 to 1024 and it did make a difference but there are still parameters where my game struggles.

One thing that may help (this made a great difference for me) is to lower the sound quality in the IL2setup.exe utility. I found choosing 'headphones' for speakers as well as a low number of playback channels helped quite a bit without really changing the sound in the game. FB's sound processing is different than it was IL-2, and it seems to take more processing power.

The bottom line is to play around with the sound and video settings, and try to find a balance between 'pretty' and 'playable.'

Next, if you play the included Dynamic Campaigns (DGen) there is a setting you can change to reduce the total number of planes used in each mission. If you're consistantly getting long lockups (usually caused by a squadron of planes being generated just out of your view or by multiple artillery beginning to fire at you) you might want to ask about these manual edits.