PDA

View Full Version : Startup problems...plz help!

fvanos100
05-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Yo guys! I just got Rainbow Six Vegas, patched it to the latest version...and guess what, its stuck @ the startup. I already disabled the intro movies.

When i startup, i hear the music, and i see the loading 'guys' running (sometimes). After a few minutes it just crashes back to windows.

This is my system:

Windows XP (Home) SP2
Pentium 4 Ht 2.8 Ghz
1024 mb Ram
DirectX 9.0C
Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb

I know my video card is a bit outdated (planning to buy a new one) But i dont expect this to be the problem of not starting up.

Thanks,

Ferdy

fvanos100
05-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Yo guys! I just got Rainbow Six Vegas, patched it to the latest version...and guess what, its stuck @ the startup. I already disabled the intro movies.

When i startup, i hear the music, and i see the loading 'guys' running (sometimes). After a few minutes it just crashes back to windows.

This is my system:

Windows XP (Home) SP2
Pentium 4 Ht 2.8 Ghz
1024 mb Ram
DirectX 9.0C
Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb

I know my video card is a bit outdated (planning to buy a new one) But i dont expect this to be the problem of not starting up.

Thanks,

Ferdy

rogerwilco99
05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Your video isn't just outdated. It won't do Shader Model 3.0 so it can't run the game. This game requires Shader Model 3.0.

The intro movies don't need that. But the game does. That's why you can't get any further.

Is your PC AGP or PCI-Express? You can get an X1950Pro for either one. But spending a couple of hundred dollars upgrading an AGP bus machine is probably not a good idea.

The problem is you can drop a good $600 upgrading to a machine that has PCI-Express and a new video card. (usually it requires an upgrade to your motherboard, cpu, memory, power supply and video card). That can get pricey very quickly.

fvanos100
05-13-2007, 04:41 AM
hmm, thats sad news...was looking foreward to this gamehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ok i printed out some technical specs from my pc..and could u guys give me advise wich graphics card is best for me? I dont want to spend 2 much money (typicaly dutch:P) but it needs to be a card wich i can use for some time in the future. Offc. with Shader Model 3.0http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

My pc in details:

-IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 HT microprocessor (2.8)
-Memory Type: DDR 1024 mb
-System: chip set: Intel 875P
-BIOS: chip 4 Mb
-NIC: integrated PCI Network Interface
-Video Type: AGP 8X
-Bus types: PCI and AGP

Bus speed:
PCI: 33 MHz
AGP: 133 MHz

-AGP:
connector: one
connector size: 172 pins
connector data width (maximum): 32 bits
bus protocols: 8x/4x/2x modes at 1.5 V

-PCI
connectors: four
connector size: 120 pins
connector data width (maximum): 32 bits

Thanks!

Trashman_DDS
05-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Video Card:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2686

And get another stick of RAM

Cheers
T

fvanos100
05-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Its 256 mb...is that enough for the next couple of years? And wots the difference between agp and the other one....how can i know that it supports rainbow six vegas?

Thanks!

nebula25x
05-13-2007, 11:14 AM
The more memory your card has the higher you can turn up the in game settings. I would suggest a 512mb card, not many options though for AGP.

Agp is an older type of graphics card connection whereas PCI-E is the newest type.
Your motherboard does not have PCI-E connections.

If it is a shader 3.0 card then it will run vegas. How well it runs vegas depends on which card you get.

I would suggest the ATI X1950 Pro also.

Unless you want to upgrade you motherboard to one with PCI-E. This could get pricey.

LiquidIce2007
05-28-2007, 10:40 AM
You do not reli need a top of the range processor to play the game. my friend has an AMD Sempron 1.8ghz processor and his gfx card is nvidia 7300gs 512mb. the game wrks smoothly on his computer

Mysticaly
05-28-2007, 11:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiquidIce2007:
You do not reli need a top of the range processor to play the game. my friend has an AMD Sempron 1.8ghz processor and his gfx card is nvidia 7300gs 512mb. the game wrks smoothly on his computer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

smoothly with everything on low you mean!
Seriussly with that CPU R6V will not run to smoth..

Anyway, to the OP, I would really go for a new mob, videocard, PSU, CPU and memory.. You say you want to upgrade for the future so I see no use in upgrading anything with your current mother board..

fvanos100
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Just bought a Sapphire Radeon x1950 512mb AGP card, and the problem is solved. It was indeed the 3.0 shader problem...and now the game runs @ full res. Thanks for the tips guys!

SteveLord8
05-28-2007, 04:18 PM
your entire PC isnt even good enough for the next couple years...much less the next year in reality.

if you get all excited over just R6V, then the next line of "actually great" PC games will force you to upgrade anyway or be forced to play at ps2-like graphics, if they even let you do that.

its a harsh reality, but its something to think about.

fvanos100
05-29-2007, 04:11 AM
wich system are u talking about m8?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Cuz a 2.8 ghz HT isn't that old. The only upgrade I can do now is Ram

nebula25x
05-29-2007, 04:59 AM
Is it old compared to a 386 or a 486? No.

But anything using HT is becoming a little bit outdated. No offense meant, im sure it still works fine for what you use it for.

Dont plan on playing Crysis with that though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif