PDA

View Full Version : Field mod. Planes....

argnan
03-25-2005, 10:50 AM
What are the "Field Mod. Planes"??? What's their purpose???

NL_snake_eye_NL
03-25-2005, 11:08 AM
hi

field mod means that those planes where adapted in the "field", bij the crews themselves. changed things them selves.

greetz snake eye

darkhorizon11
03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Yep, name says it all. Of course keep in mind that modifying armament and such things can be very dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

Thats why there's only a few aircraft like this and todays military is so heavily regulated its impossible.

The only planes in IL2 that I can remember are the early IL2 and the Hurricane.

VW-IceFire
03-25-2005, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argnan:
What are the "Field Mod. Planes"??? What's their purpose??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Changed in the field as opposed at the factory.

The Hurricane Field Mod has Russian guns in it. The P-40 Field Mod has a Russian Klimov engine instead of an American Allison. Etc.

JunkoIfurita
03-25-2005, 06:56 PM
The IL-2 Field mod was cut up to jury-rig a gunner's position in the one series, before a gunner became standard.

Those IL-2s were sitting ducks for the 109s before that...

You can't switch to the gunner's position in the field mod simply because 'open air' gunner position would've required a different cockpit model to the later, standard IL-2 gunner pits.

----

LEXX_Luthor
03-25-2005, 06:58 PM
A~20s and B~25s were *heavily* Xtreme field modded in the Pacific, and of course the factories changed design to follow the field mods.

JunkoIfurita
03-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Just out of interest...what sort of modding happened to the A-20s? Engine replacement? Guns?

----

NAFP_supah
03-26-2005, 04:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
Just out of interest...what sort of modding happened to the A-20s? Engine replacement? Guns?

---- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cup holder, ashtray? I was told by a ww2 veteran pilot that his P-47 came with a standard ashtray, thought the guy was pulling my leg but he seemed to be dead serious!

JunkoIfurita
03-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Yeah the P-47 pulled out all the stops on pilot luxuries, it was reknowned for them. Somebody posted a nice page on the history of the aircraft, and if I remember correctly: leather seating, air-conditioned 'pit (very rare at the time), ash tray, you name it.

It was also the product of a Russian designer - he gave up designing aircraft for the soviets and set up a firm in Manhatten...the P-47 was his first successful plane contracted to the USAAF - before that he had a series of not-so-powerful fighter variants that ended up mostly in recon roles.

----

stansdds
03-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Field modifications usually did not extend to engines as such mods often require tremendious amounts of engineering and parts fabrication. Weapons mods were far more common, especially in the Pacific.

Bomber groups would often modify glass nosed A-20A's, A-20C's and B-25C's by removing the bombardier's equipment, painting over the plexiglass and installing two, three, or four 50 caliber machine guns.

The 90th BG tried hanging rocket launcing tubes on the wings of at least one A-20G (a 20mm cannon armed version!). They used the triple "bazooka" tube luanchers commonly seen under the wings of P-47's. They put a pair of these tripple tubes under each wing, but found the increased drag decreased speed and range and dropped the project.

By the way, this is the third time I have tried to post this reply, let's see if this one sticks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Jungmann
03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Brits were not only impressed with the comfort of the P-47 pit but with its--compared to what they had--enormous size. One Limey wag said--"How do you take evasive action--run around inside it and hide somewhere?"

Cheers

jarink
03-26-2005, 08:23 PM
A good "field-mod" example that is close to my heart is the nose gun in the B-17F (plane my grandfather flew in as a bombardier)
http://www.381st.org/images/b-17_interior-nose-2.jpg

The gun was added by chopping a hole in the plexiglass nosecone and using tube steel to add a mount for a single .50 cal. This was done to help counter the Luftwaffe's tactic of attacking from the front.

IL2-chuter
03-27-2005, 06:48 PM
The "field mods" mentioned here (A-20's, B-25's, P-40's, Hurri's, etc.) were accomplished at what might be called "depot level" where the mods were standardized. There was a B-25 srafer early in the strafer mod development (in Australia as I recall) that had three fifties in each wing (fighter style) outboard of the engines. A factory rep saw it and freaked out (something about spar structural integrity), bringing the wing gun idea to a halt and initiating factory design work on the eight gun nose.

Mentioning the eight gun nose, it's not very common to see pics of a J gunner with side packs (four side guns). Shortly after the J gunner came out it was decided the plane was overgunned (says a little about the power of eight vs twelve tightly packed fifties) and the sidepacks were routinely removed to save weight and drag.

I can't possibly over-recommend "Warpath Across the Pacific" by Hickey. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

SaQSoN
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It was also the product of a Russian designer - he gave up designing aircraft for the soviets <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He actually fled Russia in 1917, way before he ever could design anything for the Soviets, since they started to design their own planes in around 1921, after the civil war was over.
BTW, in the disigning of the P-39 also took part ex-russian engeneers, who fled Russia after the revolution.
Not to mention Igor Sikorsky, he-he. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feathered_IV
03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd love to see the two seater field mod A6M2 in-game. Of course, you'd need a Rabaul map to go with it.

JunkoIfurita
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the extra info, SaQSoN...

Now if I could only find that P-47 history page again...

----