PDA

View Full Version : OT: For you Physx fans!



Codex1971
05-12-2006, 09:56 AM
You MUST read the article and then download the 56mb demo video. (Requires OGG player)

I can not believe my eyes! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=37715

GoToAway
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Now that E3 has come, I sincerely hope that people stop thinking that this is going to impact sims in any significant way. Ageia went on record at E3 and said that their cards cannot do fluid dynamics, which is exactly what needs to be incorporated into a physics model if sims are to improve.

Codex1971
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by GoToAway:
Now that E3 has come, I sincerely hope that people stop thinking that this is going to impact sims in any significant way. Ageia went on record at E3 and said that their cards cannot do fluid dynamics, which is exactly what needs to be incorporated into a physics model if sims are to improve.

Well I did mark this thread as OT. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

georgeo76
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
My problem is that computers are expensive enough w/o having to buy another card that has a redundant function.

Besides, from what I've seen, the only thing this card is good for is increasing the number of on-screen crates.

Codex1971
05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by georgeo76:
My problem is that computers are expensive enough w/o having to buy another card that has a redundant function.

Besides, from what I've seen, the only thing this card is good for is increasing the number of on-screen crates.

I'd have to disagree there...ppl said that about Maths-Co Processor (a floating point CPU that you bought as a addon) back in the early 90's, then before you knew it, all 386DX's had them incorperated into the CPUs.

3D accelerator cards were also a novelty only a few years ago...anyone remember 3DFx?

With all the effects mentioned in that video, this thing adds way more than just crates...I'll bet in a few years we'll see these things take off as other "novelty" addons did in the past.

PhysX may not be for the flight sims at this time, but in time, sims will eventually use these cards for things like visual effects, flight models and particualrly damage modelling.

dhorkoff
05-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I've heard it's quite good at damage modelling and particle effects, such as smoke and clouds. I also read somewhere that it could calculate the effects of stresses on fabrics, etc.

Could you imagine watching the damaged fabric on the elevators of your Hurricane gradually peal away as you are attempting to make your way back to base? The faster you go, the faster they peal!

You're saying there's no place for that in a flight simulator? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Deedsundone
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Looks very good,like a future BF2 with Jedi powers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.Love the music too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Gibbage1
05-12-2006, 03:49 PM
The Physx CANT simulate aircraft. How it could help is when you drop a bomb, and things go flying! Even people! Think of placing a 1000lb bomb on a crowded carrier deck. In IL2 at the moment, stuff just blows up. Just think in the future that flight deck crew and aircraft will fly away from the blast area or be pitched overboard! Or even more spectacular plane crashes. Thats about the only area I would see improvement. But only people with the card could see it.

Codex1971
05-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by dhorkoff:
I've heard it's quite good at damage modelling and particle effects, such as smoke and clouds. I also read somewhere that it could calculate the effects of stresses on fabrics, etc.

Could you imagine watching the damaged fabric on the elevators of your Hurricane gradually peal away as you are attempting to make your way back to base? The faster you go, the faster they peal!

You're saying there's no place for that in a flight simulator? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good point.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif